Monday, January 12, 2015

Golden Globes Fashion

I felt compelled to write a short review of last night's Golden Globes fashion scene. It had its usual hits and misses, and there's no way I can cover them all. I'll show you the hits that made me whistle, and I'll show you a few of the misses that made me wonder how a stylist could have been involved.

Amal Clooney (above) has impeccable taste - and a finely tuned sense of what's appropriate when your husband is receiving the highest honor of the night. She looked beautiful in her Dior Haute Couture, but by choosing black, she left the spotlight to him. The gloves? I could take or leave them, but I do admire her intelligent choice. On a night when you have to shake hands with many people, why not protect your health with gloves?

Emma Stone looked great in Lanvin and was one of the few women who opted for trousers. The contrast between the jeweled top and black pants by Lanvin was stunning.

Could Naomi Watts have looked any better? Her Gucci gown was beautiful (who says blondes can't wear yellow?), but that diamond snake necklace was the perfect complement.

Dakota Johnson in Chanel Haute Couture was drop-dead gorgeous. The gown spoke for itself. No snazzy jewelry was required.

Allison Williams radiated beauty in her Armani Privé gown. Red was hot last night, and she wore it best, I think.

I loved Lupita Nyong'o's Giambattista Vallie gown! I would wear that in a heartbeat. She was glorious.

Selma Hayek, wearing Alexander McQueen, was elegant. It's too bad they paired with with a rather drunken partner to present an award. She was very gracious.

Julianne Moore dazzled in her Givenchy Couture. The gradations in color and texture of her gown were stunning.

Plunging necklines were all the rage. Some were beautiful - mostly on smaller women. I loved Sienna Miller's look by Miu Miu. On the other hand, Jennifer Lopez looked like she was wearing a custom-cut shower curtain. The boning sticking into her breast was not attractive, and she must have been wearing a truckload of Hollywood Fashion Tape.

Her Golden Globes have been overexposed. Time to change up your look, JLo.

Kiera Knightly looked hideous in Chanel! The Victorian look was out of place.

It's hard to dress up Lena Dunham. I don't recall seeing her look good at any awards show. Zac Posen tried, but turned her into a blimp in the process.

Another miss was Claire Danes in Valentino. Fussy and busy, her gown detracted from her beautiful face.

There were many other celebrities whose looks were stunning, many who were just so-so, and too many misses. I can't show them all; it would take all day. So, feel free to add your own reviews in the comments. Who do you think looked great, and who should have changed before they left home?

Photos courtesy of WWD

12 comments:

Inez Hansen said...

CG I am so glad I am not the only one who is tired of seeing JLo and her exposed cleavage, crotch and leg! Yes she is flawless but her gown choices should leave more to the imagination,

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Julianne Moore, Sienna Miller, and Viola Davis were my favorites. I also loved Amal, but the best part was when Tina and Amy listed her credentials and then teased George Clooney about being the one to receive a lifetime achievement award!
Oh, and I loved Taylor Schilling in simple red Ralph Lauren. Very chic.
Some were pretty, but not different enough to comment on.

Anonymous said...

Alison Williams was my favourite of the night. Apparently her MUA used Giorgio Armani Eye tints in 1 & 7 on her lids. The worst that sticks in my mind is Julianna Marguiles, the red dress was badly fitting and had an awkward hem length. You'd think someone would have said something to her before she walked out the door. Fran

Jo said...

The worst to me was Rosamund Pike. OMG, she is a new mom! Maybe she is feeling un-hot and overcompensated for it with her dress. I hope it made her feel sexy.

I was a little embarrassed for J Lo but Kate Hudson is young enough to pull off a revealing look and I think she really pulled it off well. She looked stunning. Some have as worst dressed but I think she was one of the best dresses.

I love Amal's dress choice and thought her makeup looked nice (a review I read said it was too heavy) but the gloves and the bag really took at lot away from her look and made her look very dated. She must have intentionally tried not to be a best dressed. I don't think she has the best fashion sense and she was well-styled for her wedding. But she has so much else going for her, including legs to die for and a ton of professional accomplishments so she probably doesn't need to be labeled best dressed. Class oozes out of that woman. George is a lucky man.

I also liked Lupita, Emma, Kate B, Allison and Dakota but did not care for Sienna and I usually like her style. The material of the dress looks a comforter or duvet cover.

Nice to hear from you CG!

Lisa said...

Jlo was awful! Keira looked like an animated doilly. Claire's dress was a bit busy but I thought she pulled it off.

Anonymous said...

I liked Kate Hudson, J. Moore's personality and speech were beautiful, G. Clooney looked more handsome than ever and E. Stone's pantsuit suits her.
Best,
Tanja

Evelyn said...

I'm rather annoyed with Zac Posen. It seems he's a personal friend of Lena Dunham yet he's totally clueless on how to fit her figure. I get that he likes creative seaming on his dresses however their placement has to be impeccable. He misses every time on her figure. I don't understand how a designer could be so off.

Julianne Moore, how gorgeous was that dress? Aside from the few lovely dresses, I kind of think the Golden Globes weren't all that exciting for fashion. They were rather blah. Maybe the Oscars will be more exciting.

ame said...

Yes, I will agree on JLo. I am over the exposure. And I feel like Lena Dunham WANTS to look ridiculous. She could look fantastic, but she selects hideous items for herself.

So many amazing gowns. I loved Reese Witherspoon's gown, she looked great. Amazing!

I loved the monologue making fun of George after listing all of his wife's amazing accomplishments. It was hilarious.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi all,

I almost included Reese Witherspoon. She dazzled.

Rosamund Pike looked like a hot mess - sort of like a clothes hanger. That dress was awful.

Kate Hudson looked good too, although I just don't get the need to show that much skin.

bisbee said...

Hi CG! I agree with many of your reviews. I'm not sure Amal's gloves were worn to protect her hands...the dress was very elegant, but I think the gloves were more due to her being British. I loved Sienna Miller - she looked lovely in my opinion. I agree about Lena - I wish someone would dress her in a flattering manner, but then again, I don't think she cares, and that in itself is refreshing to me. Loved the jumpsuit on Emma Stone, but could do without the bow. Allison Williams was not my favorite - I think her makeup at these events is aging and didn't like her hair - it was too styled. As far as Jo Lo - I'm over it - she would do herself a great deal of good to change it up and wow us with her beauty instead of shoving her boobs in our faces EVERY time.

Anonymous said...

Amal was beautiful and classy. The gloves were a good idea - just not THOSE gloves. They were too baggy/big, made to wear with a little 'ladies who lunch' suit, or a coat with what used to be called bracelet length sleeves.

bella said...

Agree with everything you said! I also loved Reese and Kate Hudson. I think my favorite was Sienna and Julianne.