Alima Pure has a great list of "ingredients to avoid" on their Web site. Keep in mind that the science is not necessarily as solid as we would like. Additional research is being conducted, and you probably can't totally avoid all of these ingredients. Some are worse than others. Here's the list.
- BHA - butylated hydroxyanisole, an antioxidant that is, unfortunately, toxic to the liver, immune, and reproductive systems and a possible carcinogen
- BHT - butylated hydroxytoluene, also an antioxidant, but toxic to the brain, nervous, and respiratory systems and a possible carcinogen - also an endocrine disruptor
- Eugenol - toxic to the immune and nervous systems, an endocrine disruptor, and an allergen - odd that it's used in fragrances
- Formaldehyde - a preservative that is thought to be toxic to the immune and respiratory systems and a carcinogen
- Nitrosamines - endocrine disruptor and a carcinogen
- P-Phenylenediamine - used in hair dyes and toxic to the immune, respiratory, and nervous systems
- Parabens - preservatives that are endocrine disruptors, neurotoxins, and possible carcinogens
- Phthalates - used in perfumes, hair gels, nail polishes, and other products and toxic to the immune, nervous, and reproductive systems - believed to be absorbed through the skin
- Triethanolamine - used to adjust the pH of cosmetics, toxic to the immune and respiratory systems and a possible carcinogen
I remember one anti-wrinkle sensation introduced a few years ago. A department store rep was raving about it. I looked at the ingredient list, and a major ingredient was Eugenol. I wasn't buying that!
Arm yourself with information. You will be healthier for it!
Photo courtesy of The Herbarie.