Monday, March 28, 2016

Guerlain Ecrin 1 Couleur Long-Lasting Eyeshadow Silky Powder in ENJOY for Spring 2016, Limited Edition

I wanted this limited-edition ENJOY eye shadow (#13, $34) when it was first introduced with the Spring 2016 Collection but I was being frugal and had to pass. Then, Guerlain sent it to me for review, and I was thrilled. It's a beautiful shade for any time of year, but it's special right now as the daffodils are starting to bloom.

ENJOY is the Spring Limited Edition of the iconic eye shadow Ecrin 1 Couleur. With this shade, Guerlain offers a new buttercup shade to creates light and a delicate halo to illuminate and intensify your eye look. Nested in a new shiny metallic rose gold (some would say gleaming copper) compact, the powder invites us to see the world in color.

Incorporating Guerlain's trademarked Lastever technology, the pigments are coated in a gel allowing them to stay put all day long without settling into creases or fine lines. ENJOY is an essential must-have to use to your heart’s content. Use it as a base; use it layered or blended with other shades; or use it as a highlighter. I have found that it's gorgeous when used with any shade that has a touch of periwinkle in it - opposites on the color wheel. It reminds me of the garden mixture of violets and buttercups. It also makes my eyes pop blue. It also looks great with any copper shade.

As you can see in the photo above, the eye shadow comes with a dual-ended sponge-tipped applicator. It's handy if you want to take the compact along, but it's also useful to apply the shadow heavily. For my swatch photo below, I applied it moderately, knowing the noontime sun would wash out the color a bit.

You can still see how wearable this shade is. It can be applied sheerly for a wash of yellow, or more heavily for a yellow pop. The shade provides color, but also highlights the eyes, whether you apply it on the inside corner of your lid, all over the lid, or even under the brow bone to reflect light.

I'm thrilled with it. If you need a gleaming yellow addition to your eye shadow wardrobe, you can find ENJOY at Bergdorf Goodman, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, and any source in store or online where Guerlain color is sold. It has a perfect name. I think you'll enjoy it as much as I am.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photo by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Eileen said...

I think this one was very much misunderstood by a lot of the younger bloggers when it first came out because they expected there to be a strong yellow presence. What they failed to grasp was that this is Guerlain and Guerlain's interpretation of light, golden yellow is going to be sheer, delicate, and luminous. This particular shade makes a beautiful, springtime base when worked with a golden or khaki green on the outer third of the lid and up into the crease. It's not garish. It's Guerlain!

laura z. said...

Oh I am so happy to read your review and to also read Eileen's comments. I wondered and waited to hear about this eye shadow when it first came out and have been holding off. Back in the day, I used to love wearing light yellow eye shadow on my lids as a base to make my brown eyes pop, (we are talking early 80's?) but didn't know if this would be too sparkly, too shimmery for my crepey eyelids of today. Love the idea of using it with copper! As my 86 year old mother would say, Yellow is my Fellow! :)

Sandra said...

Charlestongirl, I loved your description of Guerlain Enjoy so much I immediately ordered it from Bergdof! I have been looking for a special neutral and could not make up my mind -- until your post -- and then Eileen's comments cinched it! I cannot wait to receive it! Thank you!

EllenB said...

Thank you for this review! I've never owned anything Guerlain and this beautiful eyeshadow will be my first. I have no color similar to Enjoy in my current collection of eyeshadows. I love the sheerness and sparkle of it! Really hoping it goes well with my green eyes. Thanks again C-Girl! --EllenB

Eileen said...

I'm glad I could be helpful :-). Many years ago, before Guerlain introduced their quads, they used to make beautiful singles. I had a stunning warm gold, a mid-toned golden green and a luminous gold tinged ivory. When Marcus Monson used those three shadows on me, they really made my warm mossy green eyes sparkle. This lovely new single by Guerlain reminded me of just how beautiful that combination could be. And now, Charlestongirl has shown us that gorgeous khaki eye pencil that would be sheer perfection with Enjoy. Enjoy is like a ray of sunshine :-)

EllenB said...

Thank you for this review! I've never owned anything Guerlain and this beautiful eyeshadow will be my first. I have no color similar to Enjoy in my current collection of eyeshadows. I love the sheerness and sparkle of it! Really hoping it goes well with my green eyes. Thanks again C-Girl! --EllenB

Unknown said...

Hello Eileen: What green and golden shadows would be a dupe for those that Marcus suggested to you (in addition to ENJOY?) Thanks - Carolina NYC xo

Eileen said...

Oh, my goodness, C Sand! That was probably about 7 years ago. The green was called L'Instant Emeraude and it was gorgeous. I don't remember the name of the golden color and I didn't purchase the ivory because I already had plenty of golden ivories in my stash. If you google L'Instant Emeraude, you'll see the type of green that worked so well with the mid-toned gold. My eyes are a warm moss green and if the shadow leans too Khaki, it makes my eyes look blah. Emeraude was a warm, deep golden green that brought out the green in my eyes rather than compete with the color. I wish I knew of a dupe, but I don't. Sorry :-(