Monday, February 27, 2012

Estée Lauder Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée in Shimmering Sands for Summer 2012

Estée Lauder's limited-edition Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée ($42) in Shimmering Sand from the Bronze Goddess Capri Summer 2012 Collection is the latest Estée Lauder superstar. It's a unique, exquisite, and lust-worthy bronzing highlighter. Don't miss out; like its predecessors, it will sell out.

Estée Lauder describes Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée as a "tribrid" formula of liquid, powder, and gel that goes beyond face powder to give you a sexy, sophisticated glow. The color smooths on as an all-over soft sheen, but can be layered for luminous pearly highlighting.

When the Modern Mercury Collection was introduced, the Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée was a first-of-a-kind "multi-powder" - one that created a "theatrical blur of shimmer when applied dry and a fierce flush of color when applied wet." Since then, each Illuminating Powder Gelée has sold out. The unique suspension of golden pigments and pearls give an irresistible polished finish and reflective sheen to the skin. The "market" (that's us) loves these colorful illuminators.

When I saw the new Bronze Goddess Capri Summer 2012 collection at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie this weekend, I was thrilled. I hadn't expected to see it before March. There it was, so I spent money this month I hadn't planned. Estée Lauder's new collection of sunlit color and fragrance was inspired by the seductive beauty of the Isle of Capri. Wear this collection, and your skin will be luminous with a sun-kissed glow. Your sultry eyes will smolder (I'll show you the palette soon), and your lips will be luscious. "Turn up the heat this summer with Bronze Goddess Capri."

My photo directly above shows the beautiful swirling shades in the embossed powder-gel. I feel a little silly writing "tribrid," even though that's accurate. Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée has the most amazing texture, it's hard to describe it perfectly. Consider it one of the creamiest powders you'll ever use. It's luxury in a large compact, accompanied by a useful sponge applicator (yes, the perfect, original applicator is back).

Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelée's color is said to adjust to light and its surroundings. I took a few swatch photos to show you, but they were all taken in strong afternoon sunlight. This new Shimmering Sand shade blends copper, rose, and gold for a bronzed look that's stunning.

I applied Shimmering Sand heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator (my own) at the top of my arm. For the swatch below, I stuck with the sponge-tipped applicator, but I applied the product less heavily. If I had had time for a do-over, I would have applied a lighter, blended swatch. Shimmering Sands carries a lot of color - gorgeous color. It's heavily pigmented. I can wear it on my fair skin, but I have to be careful with the application - much more careful than I was for these swatch photos. It's easy to overdo this color. those with darker skins should be able apply it with abandon.

Make no mistake, this illuminator shines. That shine at the top of my arm isn't only a result of the sun's reflection. You can mute the shine by applying the product lightly or by buffing or blending it (try a kabuki brush) once you apply the color. I tried to show you that with the larger swatch. Remember to blend quickly because it sets quickly. You'll have fun experimenting with it. I plan to try it on my eyelids.

The Pure Color Illuminating Powder Gelées always sell out. If you want one, call your favorite Estée Lauder counter as soon as possible. Or you can order it the Estée Lauder Web site. Most of the counters will receive the collection very soon.

Photo at top courtesy of Estée Laude; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm relieved this is darker than it appeared in the promo shot I saw. Money saved. Of course I'm disappointed it won't work for me but I guess I'm also relieved. Thanks!

Kelly said...

My counter had these a few weeks ago. I reached for it based on my love of the previous one, but it went super yellow on me. I wanted to love it. I wish they would bring back the Modern Mercury one. Although I totally agree, this one will be gone in a flash as well!

sunnyItaly said...

It's defo not my colour. I'm so sorry I missed the first one though. I'll have to see if I can find someone who'll sell it me.
Bye
Rachel

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Perilously Pale!

Yes, it's dark for us pale faces.

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, Kelly. I'm surprised about the yellow leanings. If anything, it's dark on me, but I love that rosy copper color.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rachel,

Good luck on Modern Mercury. I have no idea who might have one for sale at this point. Someday EL will release something similar. When they do, jump!

katie said...

I've not seen the Modern Mercury but nordtrom.com does still have the Chameleon Topaz though it sounds like most counters had sold out...

Charlestongirl said...

Katie,

Modern Mercury is long gone. Sad.

Kim said...

I swatched both Shimmering Sands and Chameleon Topaz side by side - I found the Shimmering sands to be rose-gold and generally lighter than the much deeper and bronzer Chameleon Topaz. I purchased the Shimmering Sands as well as the Cyber Metallic eyeshadows - both from the Bronze Goddess Capri collection. I have been using the Shimmering Sands as a blush - applying it with a skunk brush - it's gorgeous!!! I also love the gelee eyeshadows - they are very different from what I usually wear, but also gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kim!

What a difference skin tone can make!