I have new makeup and no photos. I hate the thought that they will go unshared because summer collections will be making their way to the counters by the time I can get outside to take photos. The only thing I can tell you is that I love my new Chantecaille goodies; the Clarins neutral eye shadows for winter are very nice; and the new Tom Ford Lipsticks are worth a look-see. I do have photos of a gorgeous new Rouge Bunny Rouge eye palette, but I have not been given the go-ahead to show them to you yet. I'll write this week and beg.
This week, I'll try a new approach and devote the week to beauty treasures that don't really need swatch photos to describe. I think I'll have time to write on most of the days.
What have I been doing?
- Caring for Mom's string of bad luck. (FIOS went missing again this week.)
- Bought a new Audi.
- Shoveling snow (small amounts at a time, thankfully)
- Chipping through ice.
- Keeping my outdoor animals well fed so they can withstand the horrible cold.
- Buying snow boots.
- Suffering over human treatment of animals - and people's treatment of other people.
Today, I learned that a healthy young giraffe was shot to death by the Copenhagen Zoo, despite a worldwide protest and offers from other zoos to take him. Why? To prevent inbreeding. The easiest way to prevent inbreeding would have been to allow another zoo to take Marius. Now he will be lion food. What must that poor animal have thought as his keepers turned on him? I cannot post the photo; it's too graphic. I find this act so reprehensible, I must now add Denmark to my "bad countries" list - the one that contains countries that hunt whales; condone killing sharks for their tails, throwing the sharks back in the ocean to die; and the ones that jail human rights activists. It's an ugly world out there. Sometimes its hard to find beauty when you cry through the news. Even Colonel Meow died.
I have been spending a lot of time - too much, probably - on Facebook, and I can recommend some sites for finding feel-good stories. Here's only a sampling of the sites that make me happy.
- The couple writing Old Friends Senior Dog Sanctuary deserves sainthood. If you like dogs, browse the site and you will be hooked.
- Sir Stuffington is a cat who lives with rescued cats and dogs with two women who are also saints. Their photos and stories are heartwarming.
- I love Bengal Cat World. I see Charlie's distant relatives there.
- Recycled Doggies shows us that there are people with big hearts.
I can continue to laugh about the Dr. Perricone paid content (infomercials) that air on DC's NBC station on Saturday evenings. If the brand is so great, why do they need to stoop to the level of Dr. Oz and kitchen gizmos. Have you seen one of these half-hour celebrations on Perricone's "brilliance"?
I miss you!
Photo courtesy of NBC Washington