Gloss d’Enfer Maxi Shine glosses guarantee your lips a shimmering and radiant look. Guerlain mentions plumping, but I don't see any more plumping that the appearance of larger lips I see with any great lip gloss. That's just as well; I don't like those tingling glosses.
Lightweight and instantly eye-catching, Maxi Shine offers tailor-made effects for a "devastatingly angelic smile." Here are the fall shades, from left to right above and below.
- Madame Batifole (#860) - "electric, sparkling fuchsia"
- Madame Flirt (#861) - "gourmand sparkling red"
- Madame Fascine (#863) - "sparkling deep purple"
- Madame Batifole (#860) - Guerlain calls it electric, sparkling fuchsia - shown at the top of my arm. It's really a vibrant blue-toned pink (to my eyes).
- Madame Flirt (#861) - called gourmand sparkling red, shown in the middle. I see peachy pink, maybe with a red undertone.
- Madame Fascine (#863) - Called by Guerlain sparkling deep purple, shown at the bottom. I see brown with a slight lavender/mauve hue.
As advertised, these lip glosses offer lovely ladylike shimmer and feel great on the lips. They have average wear time. They have a smooth and non-sticky texture and glide onto the lips like a second skin. Guerlain says we'll forget Maxi Shine is even on. I understood them when I applied the first, with the launch last spring. Composed of mineral and vegetal oils, the texture forms a protective barrier on the lips that prevents moisture from evaporating and keeps the lips soft and hydrated. My lips look extremely shiny, radiant, and even brilliant. This is my kind of lip gloss.
How would I improve it? I'd add a little more pigment - just a little. Otherwise, I'd change nothing. If you like what you see in my swatch photos, you'll want to have a look-see when you visit the Guerlain counter.
I purchased mine at Guerlain’s boutique in Las Vegas. The Voilette de Madame collection is available now at the Guerlain Boutiques and Neiman Marcus - and perhaps Bergdorf Goodman. Those locations received the collection early. It will be available at select additional locations at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, and Sephora, this month.
Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty