Friday, August 23, 2013

The Friday Forum - August 23

Friday - finally! Here's a photo of a hydrangea in my side yard. It's always a late-summer stunner. If you look closely, you will see the blossoms starting to mature and turn pink.

Haven't the latest color introductions been exciting? I feel rejuvenated when there are counters laden with new launches. I wanted to start showing you the new Clinique eye colors yesterday, but Tom Ford's arrival bumped Clinique to the weekend. I heard the weather forecast, and it appears I'll have a bright, sunny day tomorrow for taking swatch photos of my new Tom Ford and Clinique goodies. It's very cloudy and about to rain now. Plus I'm at work.

I also have several new fragrances to feature - ones that will tempt you, I'm sure. Remember, this fall will be a bonanza for fragrance fans.

The latest fashion designer to announce a beauty collection is Tory Burch. She will be joining the Estée Lauder Cos. stable. There will be a Tory Burch fragrance that opens with grapefruit, pink pepper, cassis, mandarin and neroli. The hear notes include peony, mimosa, jasmine, tuberose, sweet alyssum, and carrot seed. It's drydown of vetiver, cedarwood, sandalwood, and white musk sounds nice to me. Burch told WWD about her capsule color cosmetics collection and a bath and body line. “I wanted to do a capsule that was quick and easy,” Burch said. “I don’t have a lot of time to get ready in the morning, so we did a lip and cheek in one - that’s how I often do it, I’ll put lipstick on my cheeks [as blush] if I only want to bring one thing out with me.” Burch has carried some of the fragrance notes through to her cosmetics: the lipstick and lip and cheek tint are both lightly scented with cassis, grapefruit, and mandarin.

The products are scheduled for a September 26 launch, after an online presale beginning September 6. The fragrance and bath items will be sold at 31 Bloomingdale’s doors, nine Holt Renfrew locations, Tory Burch’s 85 boutiques, and toryburch.com only. The color cosmetics will be available only at Burch’s boutiques and on her Web site.

I'm really surprised there hasn't been much interest in my giveaway contest this week. Chantecaille's Brilliant Gloss in Classic is really pretty. Remember that the deadline to enter is tomorrow, Saturday, August 24, at midnight. Free is free, after all.

I did get a comment I didn't understand. One poster wrote that this was the second time she had entered in two weeks. I wasn't sure what that meant. Did it mean, "I've entered twice now and haven't won yet?" I hope not. Unfortunately, giveaway contests are a game of chance. While the odds are bettter than Powerball, there can be only one winner (usually) out of hundreds of entries. I always feel bad about that.

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Melanie said...

Designer cosmetic lines are almost de rigueur now, it seems. I suppose it is a way to reach a larger market. Like I have heard of Chanel: maybe one cannot afford a suit or handbag, but perhaps a lipstick. Tory Burch is interesting to me. I have always liked her overall look. Good to know that the line will be at Holt's.

Well, after complaining about my skin last Friday, the first thing that my husband he said to me when he came through the door was that it looked really good and “glowy.” Maybe I should step back from the mirror!

I have been using a bee venom mask and it has been making a difference. I first read about it in a Truth in Aging newsletter (I did not know prior to that that Camilla and Kate are fans). I found a Canadian company, Wedderspoon, that makes one. Also just discovered a cleansing balm by Saaf. I love it. It helps to maintain hydration.

Thanks for the reference to the recent NYTimes article on lead in lipstick. Here’s my question: how does one know if it’s in there? Is there any way? Is it on the INCI list?

Enjoy the weekend -- and those hydrangeas!

Mara said...

Entering to win!
Can't wait to see what Tory's line looks like too.
Your thoughts on my newest purchase?- YSL glossy stain nudes- naughty mauve. I'm not sure yet.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melanie,

I love Tory Burch clothing, although it's pricey because of her name.

Nice that your husband noticed!

Usually, the lipsticks with the highest lead content are red/dark. There was a brand study published. You can usually find it on Google. I'll look later.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Mara,

You must enter on the contest post.

I find all the YSL stains very drying.

grlnxdor said...

I finally picked up the Laura Mercier Illuminator in Spellbound this past weekend. I'm loving it and think it should carry me through Fall with it's rose-gold goodness!

Anonymous said...

I'm game to win something for free...never try the lottery since I felt like I was wasting money that could be used for cosmetics!! So far I really like the Tatcha eye cream...it makes my eye area smooth.Hope the weekend is warm so I can continue outside water aerobics. IGH

Evelyn said...

mm Tory Burch is jumping in, not too excited about that. It does seem as if every designer is getting into cosmetics but not everyone is really thinking out their lines carefully. I'm actually impressed with the Marc Jacobs line, I thought it would just be a so-so line with a name slapped on it but there are actually some very good pieces like the black gel liner (I tried a sample), a blush and nail polish I picked up and I still can't get all of the liquid eyeliner swatch off my hand (and I wash my hands a lot!). It's pretty tenacious.

I'm tempted by Tom Ford, but I'd like to see your swatches too before making a final decision. I did buy the Chanel powder in No.30 and I do like it, it's a pretty close mimic of my coloring when I tan and adds a bit of a glow. I did pick up the Peony & Blush Suede cologne, it's such a pretty scent on my skin which must neutralize the patchouli that you don't like so much. All in all a nice end to the summer treat!

Maybe people are away and that's why they haven't entered. I don't always enter because I just have so much stuff. :) oh well!

Have a great weekend everyone!

Nina said...

Thank you for the info on the Tory Burch launch CG! I am very excited to see what she has put together as I admire her personal grooming style in addition to her designs. I saw a photo of the packaging on the WWD website and it looks gorgeous!
Mara - The YSL stains can be a bit drying, but I love them and they are worth a try.
Evelyn - I was also surprisingly impressed with the Marc Jacobs line. It was more "adult" than I thought it might be. The brushes look amazing and the nail colors are interesting as well.
Have a great weekend everyone!

AnneD said...

I look forward to the Tory Burch line. It could be very workable for us that are over a certain age. I tried the Peony and Suede from Jo Malone and found it too light for me. SA at Nordstrom sold me on the new YLS Youth Liberator foundation. It is almost full coverage, yet looks dewy and it is not drying. Of course, I will have to wait for the heat to come on to give it the full test. Here in Texas, that will be several months. I have been behaving myself in the lipstick department for the past month. Fall will get to me though and I will succumb to something new. Fall is my weakest time of the year for makeup and clothes. Good weekend to all!