Saturday, February 6, 2016

Guerlain Rouge G Exceptional Complete Lip Color in #60 Gabrielle

When Marcus Monson was here at Neiman Marcus, he choose Guerlain Rouge G Exceptional Complete Lip Color in #60 Gabrielle ($54) for me. I had told him to "do whatever he wanted" in our session. Ordinarily, when I look at a lipstick that looks light in the tube, I worry that it might might make me look like a would-be teen. I shouldn't have worried. His choice was perfect - absolutely beautiful on my lips.

This lipstick is reinvented in an exceptional jewel with Rouge G, a subtle balance of intense color and the comforting pleasure of a creamy lip balm. Behind this magical creation is an astounding formula: the unique combination of ruby powder for spectacular radiance, hyaluronic acid spheres for perfectly smoothed lips, and wild mango butter for lasting hydration. It leaves lips beautifully colored, perfectly smoothed, moisturized, and with a plumped look from the shine.

A truly exceptional palette, lip glamour comes in 20 colorful shades as luxurious as they are radiant. Tucked in a compact that marries beauty with high design, with one click, you will have a luminous lipstick and mirror at your fingertips. Designed by Lorenz Bäumer, the most talented jeweler from the Place Vendôme in Paris, it is the ultimate accessory of mystery and seduction.

The sun came out today just long enough for me to get a swatch photo. This color is semi-sheer and absolutely gorgeous. It's a warm pink on my arm and lips. I was thrilled with his choice, however, I hesitated because Rouge G Lipsticks are so heavy in my handbag. He had the perfect solution. He asked Moon to get a clear plastic, new tester top. It fit my lipstick perfectly so that I could carry it in my makeup bag. He is clearly a master!

I am thrilled with this color. When I started to write this feature, I saw that this shade is available at Guerlain counters, Sephora, but also at overstock.com and other interesting sources. I wonder if that means it is on its way to discontinuation.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; swatch photo by Best Things in Beauty

17 comments:

Petunia said...

I hope to meet the Mystical Marcus one day! I love his eye and his aesthetic. I love the Rouge G formula. So smart of Marcus to think of the plastic top as an option for your handbag.

Evelyn said...

The Rouge G's are such wonderful lipsticks but if I want to carry one with me I need to plan what's in my bag to balance the weight. :) We suffer for beauty!

DLori said...

Absolutely Stunning. Can a cool skinned woman wear this shade?

Eileen said...

I love Rouge G. So many formulas are touted as being moisturizing, but Rouge G is the real deal without being so slick that it slides off your lips or vanishes in just a couple of hours. Although Gabrielle is one of the more sheer shades, most Rouge G's pack an impressive amount of pigment and are semi-opaque to fully opaque in two swipes. This creamy, conditioning lipstick is simply superb, the satin finish is softly luminous, and the color selection is rich and classic. I can easily see why Marcus selected this color for you, Charlestongirl. What a lovely spring awakening especially with the delicate pink of Smile on your cheeks. You mentioned previously that he used the new khaki pencil on your eyes, but what eyeshadow(s) did he use? I bet you looked like a ray of sunshine :-)

I always let Marcus do whatever he wants and I am never disappointed. After all, why go to an artist of his caliber and then tell him what to do? Ridiculous! If I wanted the same old same old, I could simply stay at home. It's enough that Marcus knows I favor looks that are dramatic and contoured, that I love mixing colors to create something "custom", and that I have the application skills to replicate what he does. Other than that, I come to him as a blank slate.

Eileen said...

Hi Evelyn,

Yes, we certainly do suffer for beauty. It's either that or take up weight training! I once told Marcus that I had both the Voyage and Wulong compacts and that as beautiful as they were, they sure were heavy. His response was that if I carried one in each hand when visiting New York, I'd be safe from muggers! Actually, I think a handbag with a Voyage compact and Rouge G in it is classified as a weapon. LOL

Charlestongirl said...

Something really bad happened overnight. It appears LVMH shut down Monsieur Guerlain on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube. Obviously, his use of their name was copyright infringement, but it's been going on for years. His publicity for the brand has been priceless. The perfume world is up in arms. Calling for a boycott.

My question is "why now"? He's been dedicating his free time to promoting Guerlain fragrance for years.

Charlestongirl said...

Dlori,

Absolutely yes! My skin is cool-toned.

Charlestongirl said...

Petunia, I love the reference to the Mystical Marcus!! And his use of the plastic top actually made a difference in my life!

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, go to any counter and ask for a plastic tester top. They take them off before they put out the testers, so it will be new.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, if I remember correctly, he used Les Sables eye shadows.

Charlestongirl said...

One more thing, Eileen, I agree with you. Anyone who goes to one of the world's best makeup artists should never tell them what or how to do makeup. I enjoy seeing what they do.

Another makeup artist here, one who used to work for Guerlain, but is now with LMdB is Michael Reinhardt. He did my makeup this week with the Kaleidoscope that will be the Beauty Event GWP. It's beautiful, a I was thrilled with the look. I hope for sunshine soon so that I can get a camera photo. No sun, and I'll have to use my in-store iPhone photo (not bad, but not up to my standards).

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Les Sables is a gorgeous satin-matte quad and I bet it looked fantastic with the khaki eyeliner. I'm invisioning everything he used on you, and as I said before, I bet it was a cheerful spring awakening :-) In the hands of a gifted MA, even a cool toned woman such as yourself can wear the delicate warmth of spring. Beautiful!

Evelyn said...

Considering the current state of the NYC subway, I think I'm going to pack the Rouge G's for protection! I'll look good but I'll be a force to be reckoned with. :) Will keep it in mind to ask for the plastic protector CG, I never new about that.

Poppy B. said...

I love Rouge G lipstick. I'm on my third tube of Gracia #66. I think something must have changed for a while, because they're reintroducing the line--for a while, there was a limited shade selection on some of my online shopping sites.

I just wish they sold refills. I can't stand the idea of just throwing out those beautiful tubes. Maybe I could refill with a Revlon lipstick. :-D

Charlestongirl said...

I could ask Guerlain about refills. That's a good idea, Poppy!

Anna R. said...

I too am stunned about Monsieur Guerlain's website. It was a wealth of knowledge about all of Guerlain's fragrances as well fragrance history in general. I am so disappointed it is gone. He never tried to profit from Guerlain's name. His info was up to date about releases and his information about discontinuations was very helpful. I loved checking in on his site regularly. I hope he finds a way to ring it back. It was clearly a labor of love by a true Guerlain fan.

Anna R said...

I'm so happy you had a session with Marcus. He is truly talented and has an amazing way to make every woman he works with feel special. I was impressed with the way he got to know me so he could give me a look I would love.

Do you remember how he used Les Sables on you? I have that palette but haven't used it in ages and would love to use it the way he did in you...( that's if you can remember ...)