Friday, September 23, 2016

The Friday Forum - September 23

Today, I spent the better part of my morning with Sarah Lavache, one of Bobbi Brown's best Makeup Artists, at an event at Nordstrom Pentagon City organized by Diron Carr, Bobbi Brown's manager there. Sarah spent about an hour working on my face, and I was enormously pleased with the results.

She used the Party to Go Lips & Eyes Kit ($42), a palette that I might not have selected before Sarah applied it to my eyes. After I saw the results, I came home with it! Unfortunately, even though Diron recorded all of the colors Sarah used on me, I accidentally left it behind. I'll have to call in a bit and ask him to save it for me.

If you ever get a chance to jump into Sarah's chair, do it! You will love the results. I was very happy with her handiwork on my eyes today.

I was invited to attend Victor dE Souza's fashion show during the just-concluded New York Fashion Week. I wasn't able to go because the show was in the evening, and there wasn't any way I could get a train back to DC on the same day.

Dustin Lujan, Victor's partner, kindly sent me a video so that I could see the show I missed. Just click on this link to see the show highlights. Besides the fashion - and the fabulous animals that adorned many of the pieces - Dustin's makeup was the star of the show for me. I have been talking to Dustin about the next pieces he will introduce now that his lipstick collection is established. The models were wearing the mascara and eye shadows that will be introduced next. I strained to look as closely as possible to try to discern the eye shadow shades. It was difficult see them in the video, but I know that with Dustin's master touch, they will be beautiful.

Please watch the video to experience the fashion show from the comfort of your home of office. Victor is on the cusp of worldwide fame. You'll be able to say, "I knew him when."

The Saks Fifth Avenue Beauty event started yesterday, and the tote GWP is really nice. I spent more than I should have, but the bonus was that gorgeous tote. Although the Neiman Marcus beauty event has officially ended, Michael Reinhardt is extending it at Mazza Gallerie for Le Métier de Beauté through Sunday. So if you missed it by accident, give Michael or Andy a call at that counter at (202) 966-9700.

I've been sorting beauty products for features here on the blog, and I must have about 50 pounds of gorgeous products to show you. Next week, I've got to get busy taking photos, and I may have to try to write more than one feature per day. Several generous companies have sent me their new collections, and I want you to see them as soon as possible.

It's time for the Friday Forum. The Friday Forum has always been an opportunity to share information. Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Tell us about it! Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Tell us why! Do you have questions others might be able to answer? We can help! Want to talk about skin care? I'm game. Just use the comments. We have busy weekends and slow ones on the forum. I hope to see you in the comments.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Ilene said...

You look lovely! Enjoy your new products! I love the retouching wand from Bobbi Brown

Vanessa said...

You are beautiful!

Charlestongirl said...

Ilene and Vanessa,

How sweet! Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello CG - love your blog!

I'm wondering if you or any of your readers have had an allergic reaction to Tom Ford's wet/dry eyeshadow. I have 5 TF eyeshadow palettes and today tried the wet/dry formula (Nude Dip) for the first time. My eyes became itchy and puffy within seconds. Got it off as quick as I could and the symptoms an hour later are calming down. So disappointed as I bought it to wear for a wedding tomorrow. Thank goodness I tried it tonight and have time to treat my eyes before the wedding. La Mer The Mist and Eye Concentrate have been my saviours along with an antihistamine. I have ultra-sensitive skin, so a reaction is not uncommon but I thought I was safe with TF (although I react to TF lipsticks).

- Coco

Wendy said...

Hi lovely Charleston Girl!! You look amazing!! Absolutely beautiful! And, I love your hair!! xo

LadyJicky said...

You look fabulous Charleston Girl !!!
You know ... I do think Bobbi Brown make the best lipsticks around.
I am off to the shops tomorrow - will check BB out and see if Guerlain has the Christmas items out here too :)

Eileen said...

Your eyes look so large and luminous, Charlesongirl. I hope you were able to retrieve your color chart from Diron because the look Sarah did for you is perfect. You look lovely and it's always so fun to try something new or different from our same old same old.

I stopped by the Shiseido counter on Monday to try the fairly new Rouge Rouge collection. I fell in love with several shades, but started out with just one--Red Queen which is a beautiful mid-toned red with a touch of plum. It's one of those classic autumn shades and I know I'll get a lot of use out of it this season. I wore it several days in a row and was very impressed with how moisturizing and conditioning the formula was and so I went back today to pick up Coral Shore and Liaison. I'm enjoying wearing color on my lips once again after a summer of gorgeous nudes.

We've got Santa Ana conditions kicking up which means we're in for a weekend of hot, arid, and windy weather. Time to up my moisturizing game! In fact, I think I'll go slather myself with lotion before heading to bed :-) Have a wonderful weekend, everyone.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Coco, I've never reacted to TF eye shadows, but I was allergic to another brand years ago. In that case, it was a red dye that was in the color.

You're lucky in one sense. Nude Dip is neutral, so you should be able to replace it with one of thousands of neutrals on the market. Since you had a reaction, I'd look for something in a line that minimizes allergens. Go to a nearby drugstore and pick up Physician's Formula in a pinch. Clinique is also a good bet if you can get to a dept. store.

There are so many potential allergens in eye shadows! I'm glad you gave it a test run first. Good luck!

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, and one more thing, hon, don't buy any more TF. You've had bad luck with the lipsticks and shadows. That's a bad sign.

Have you tried Armani?

Charlestongirl said...

LadyJicky, thank you. I also like BB lipsticks, but I must confess. I won't use lip testers, so Sarah chose a LMdB out of my purse.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Wendy!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, are all the new Shiseido lip colors in the red family?

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl,

Rouge Rouge (translates as red lipstick) is a collection of red based colors but some of them are mid-toned and there is even a light shade called Hushed Tones. If you check out Christine's sneak peek overview of the collection from awhile back, you can see all the colors. I'm hoping they'll expand the range with this same formula :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, I think I'll pass. I have way too many lipsticks, and a red collection doesn't excite me.

Nan P said...

Greetings Charleston Girl,

I love when you show products applied to your beautiful face. As much as I enjoy arm swatches to show color close ups, seeing how it actually looks on the face is so helpful for me to visualize how it might look on me, particularly on someone like you whose skin tone is fairly to mine. So thanks!! I think the look is beautiful - it really enhances your features and it makes me want to take a look at Bobbi Brown again. I caught your remark that the lip color is your own, but is everything else besides the eye products from Bobbi Brown?

I had to laugh when you said you've got about 50 pounds of beauty products to show your readers. Wow - you must have a rather large storage area and I can only imagine the amount of time and effort to organize it! Your blog is surely an expensive hobby to sustain, but I'm so glad you do!

I'm trying to take a break from purchasing anything new until November when Tom Ford rolls out the new Lips & Boys collection. I've got my eye on a couple of them, and hope they're among the "50 pounds" because you and I have an affinity for the same shades.

My last comment has nothing to do with beauty and I hope that's ok. Last night I went to hear a Fleetwood Mac tribute band called "Rumours". They played for two hours without a break and the singer sounded remarkably like Stevie Nicks - what a treat! Highly recommend checking them out if you're a Fleetwood Ma fan as I am and they're playing near you.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Nan. Everything but lips was Bobbi Brown. I will not use lip testers. I really don't want herpes.

My storage area is all over my house. It is out of control. I'm in the middle of reorganizing now. I have to stop spending so much!

LadyJicky said...

I am with your there with the testers!!! I just use my arm and go out of the shops into the sun for correct colouring as well as the health issues !! I am sick of buying lipsticks that are so different when I get them home! LOL

Eileen .... I do not know your colouring but if you love a peach - try out the Rouge Rouge Crime of Passion - would look fabulous on Charleston Girl !!

I am going to look at the Red Queen Eileen - sounds like what I call a "quiet red" ... which I love and so hard to find !

Anonymous said...

Sarah did a great job and you look beautiful. The eyebrows and the upper liner make your eyes pop.
I had the first facial in my life last week and it felt great. The plump and rejuvenated feeling lasted a good 24 hours. It was done with Chanel skin products. My discovery for this week are the new Chanel Rouge Allure Ink. They last a long time, the colors are versatile and easy to use and the formula is not drying - a very cool new product.
Have a good weekend.
Tanja

Eileen said...

Hi LadyJicky,

Actually, it was a toss up between Coral Shore and Crime of Passion with Coral Shore winning by just a hair :-) They're both beautiful pink-corals that straddle the seasons--summer into fall--with ease. I'm so very impressed with the formula which does a better job of plumping my lips than the so-called lip plumpers and it has the added conditioning benefits so my lips look and feel smooth and soft long after the color has worn off. Will Rouge Rouge suit everyone? Of course not, but so far the three shades I selected have been a resounding success.

You're right when you describe Red Queen as a "quiet red". On my rosey lips it is a soft, muted red that does not shout thanks to that pinch of plum. It's more subdued on me than what I've seen in online swatches and is like a deeper version of a MLBB color. I've gotten numerous complements on it, but more importantly, I feel pretty when I'm wearing it--polished, poised, and not like I'm wearing "Red!" if you know what I mean. As for Liaison, that one registers as a clear cranberry color on my lips which I think will look nice with cooler, more crystalline winter looks. Although for me it is more of a winter color, I just couldn't resist getting it now :-)

Anonymous said...

CG, your eyes and brows are perfection. What a lovely look she created for you.
Re Coco and Tom Ford. Being very sensitive and allergy prone I have long had doubts that I would be able to wear this brand and you have confirmed them.
The most comfortable neutral shadow I own is Armani eyes to kill solo in Tadzio. The first ingredient is synthetic fluorphlogopite. I do have some slight itching problems with the color Wood in this line as the main ingredient is talc. The liquid eye tint shadow does not bother my lids but if any whiff of it gets into my eye I am in misery. The Chanel eye quad in Tisse Venitien is also not a problem for me as the main ingredient is synthetic fluorphlogopite.
My one tip for buying eyeshadows is to sniff the testers. If you can't smell anything then buy it and keep the receipt in case you do have a reaction.
Frances