Monday, May 16, 2016

New and Exciting: Victor dE Souza Lipsticks by Dustin Lujan

It was worth the wait. I have known for a long time that Dustin Lujan was developing a new cosmetics line, starting with a lipstick collection. Dustin chose to align his new beauty brand with his partner, fashion designer Victor de Souza, and so Victor dE Souza Beauty was born. I am so thrilled for my sweet friend Dustin.

The long-awaited launch occurred in New York City on April 28. The party, hosted by Victor and Dustin, featured five models - from students to media strategists - and eight-foot tall banners showing their glam shots wearing Dustin's lip colors. Over 150 guests attended. I wish I could have been one of them. Unfortunately, it was impossible for me to work the full day and add on a round trip to New York before it was time to work the next day.

Beauty has always been an important focus for de Souza, coming from a family in which both sisters are skilled makeup artists. Victor has worked with some of the top makeup artists in the world, including Francois Nars and and Dustin Lujan, to make shocking and beautiful images for his fashion shows, making the makeup a centerpiece along with his fashion designs. Cosmetics were a natural transition for his portfolio; his father was one of the top chemists in Argentina. As he grew up, he and his sisters tested makeup formulas.

As a creature of design, Victor collaborated with Dustin, former creative director and development consultant for several top, luxury beauty houses, to work on Victor's own beauty line. Max Factor's design from the 1920's was one of the main inspirations of Dustin's designs, using all-metal packaging that is sleek and heavy. The upgrade to the classic inspiration was the metal spike on the top of each case, adding a modern edge resembling the pawn of a chess piece to combine classic, contemporary, and intellectual design factors.

The lipstick formula, developed by Dustin, consists of an ingredient called Hyla-Bubble, exclusive to Victor dE Souza Beauty. Hyaluronic acid is trapped in micro-bubbles and released when the lips are pressed together, replenishing moisture and redepositing color to the lips. This ingredient attracts and holds up to 1,800 times its own weight in water to fill the space between collagen and elastin fibers in the skin. Dustin spent over 10 years developing this masterful formula.

The lipsticks come in three different formulas. All are priced at $68. All shades stay on forever. To get them off my arm, I had to use soap, water, and makeup remover. That's unusual. The shades must have a long-lasting tint in their formula, making them highly resistant to transfer and color loss.
  • Prismatic Lipstick, which offers extra moisture and shine
  • Satin Lipstick, for the most sensitive lips with a true-to-life "lip finish"
  • Matte Lipstick, for a moisture-intense matte lip with flair and life
I purchased one of the shades, and Dustin graciously sent me all of them. I was able to take swatch photos this past weekend. I took the lipstick photos in full, mid-day sunshine and grouped them by formula.

The first photo above shows the two Prismatic Lipsticks. Doom Generation is shown on the left, and Liquid Sky is shown at right. I was lucky to get photos at all. It was incredibly windy, and the lipsticks kept moving around on me.

The swatch photo for these two Prismatic Lipsticks is shown directly above. The two Prismatic shades could not be more different. Liquid Sky is a very slight, shiny pink, and Doom Generation is a deep plum. It makes a statement.

The next grouping of colors (directly above) shows the Satin Lipsticks. Mysterious Skin is shown at left, and Stage Fright is shown at right. It was Stage Fright that really caught my eye in Dustin's model's photos. It gave me palpitations. Shown below on student Kyla Malbon, it was an instant must-have.

My swatch photo of the two Satin Lipsticks is presented directly below. Mysterious Skin, a peachy nude is shown at the top of my arm, and Stage Fright, which appears to be coral, is shown below. Both shades are definitely affected by your own lip pigmentation, in most cases making them more pink than they appear on my arm.

The Matte Lipsticks surprised me. They are not dull mattes. You can even see in my swatch photos below that they reflect light, giving them a spectacular finish.

Even though they were moving around with the wind, I managed to focus on Female Trouble at left, Raspberry Reich in the middle, and the ultimate red, The Hunger, at right. My swatch photo, with the lipsticks shown in the same order as I moved down my arm, is shown directly below.

From the fuchsia Female Trouble, to my favorite of the three, a rosy pink Raspberry Reich, to the perfect red, The Hunger, these shades were designed to provide a pop to your face.

Here is a cute photo of Victor and Dustin, taken at the launch party. I don't have to tell you who's who because so many of you know and love Dustin.

Although the cases are gunmetal grey, I love the photo above, provided by Dustin. It shows how classy these lipsticks are - even without color.

You can purchase these Lipsticks from Victor dE Souza Beauty online. If you don't follow Dustin on Facebook, you really should. In a run-up to the launch, he posted photos of the models wearing each shade. They are masterfully edited, showing the flair of both Victor and Dustin.

What's next for Victor dE Souza Beauty? What one makeup product does every woman need - besides lipstick - on a deserted island? Mascara! I may be spilling a secret, but I knew you would ask me. Before long, Dustin and Victor will have developed a full, luxury beauty line, with worldwide distribution.

What do you think?  Do you have a favorite shade? Will one or more go on your must-have list?

Update 5/18: In my original feature, I mixed up Raspberry Reich and The Hunger. I'm sorry. The Hunger is the perfect red. I have confirmed this with Dustin, who didn't notice at first either (so I don't feel like such a ditz). Thanks to "Anonymous" for pointing out the confusion. I have corrected the copy above.

Photos courtesy of Victor dE Souza Beauty and by Best Things in Beauty

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

CG-do these lipsticks have a smell or flavor?

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous, no, they don't.

Nemo said...

This is the best makeup news I've seen in a long time! I plan to stock up. Some years back, when Dustin was with LMDB, my dear husband called him to place an order for me. I think it was a reup of an eye kit, if I recall. Anyway, they hit it off immediately. Dustin knew all about how ditzy we can be sometimes, & was not surprised when my husband said not to ring the order immediately because David had to go put $ on the card. Haha. Glad to know he's back! Order, readers, because you couldn't find a nicer guy!

Anonymous said...

$68? I'm sure they are lovely but even as someone who has bought $55 lipsticks I surely won't be buying any $68 ones!

Anonymous said...

Dear CG,

I made the plunge & ordered, although I had declared a beauty purchase moratorium.
Also had to buy the Chanel summer quad that everyone is raving about.
I am weak . . .

Nemo said...

where can we buy them?

Charlestongirl said...

Nemo, at the link in the feature. Victor dE Souza Beauty! I'll tell Dustin to watch for your order.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, there is vanilla extract, but it's barely noticeable.

Soni said...

Is the model in the last picture wearing Female Trouble? It doesn't look matte on her so I'm just wondering if it's a different color? Whatever it is I LOVE it!! I've never spent that much on a lipstick but I think I need to at least try one...however dangerous that may be. ;-)

Jo said...

I ordered Liquid Sky and they sent me that along with Stage Fright, a gorgeous concealer and two big samples of foundation that I have not tried yet. These lipsticks are truly unique!

Charlestongirl said...

So I, she is wearing Female Trouble. These mattes are not flat matte. They are really special.

Vanessa said...

The matt colors are truly perfect. Did you find the lipsticks to plump the lips and fill in lines given the bubbles of HA? (I can't think right now...I have a terrible head cold!)

All of your posts are so well written.

Thank you, Vanessa

Soni said...

Ok, good to know. Thank you for getting back to me CharlestonGirl! Gosh, I really like the Hunger, Female Trouble and Stage Fright. Decisions decisions....

Wendy said...

Hi Charleston Girl!! I love Dustin!! He recommended Raspberry Reich and Liquid Sky, which I ordered. I'm anxiously awaiting them! Xo to you!! p.s. Has anyone purchased Tom Ford's cream and powder eye colors? This will be my 3rd Naked Bronze that I ordered. The cream part is all "smooshed" to 1 side and smeared on the top cap. They all were like this some, worse than others! This upsets me! Not sure I should try to order another? Xoxo

Charlestongirl said...

Vanessa, I don't have lip lines, so im sorry, but I can't answer that one.

Charlestongirl said...

Wendy, send the Tom Ford items back.

Vanessa said...

Okay, Charleston Girl...spill your secret, how have you avoided lip lines!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Genetics? Continuous doses of lip moisturizer? Luck?

Anonymous said...

Hello Charleston Girl,
on Victor dE Souza Beauty, the Hunger is described as true red and Rasberry Reich as matte pink raspberry...

Eileen said...

Oh, my goodness! The model in the first picture had me flashing back to 1963 and my first Sassoon cut. LOL. I went into the salon with waist length hair and left with a stunning geometric Sassoon cut. The frequent trims needed to keep the geometric effect, though, had me abandoning the look within a year. While I was growing it out, I wore my hair in style very similar to the model's. Memories!

As for the Victor dE Souza lipstick, the colors are very pretty, but that case! Sad to say, but I find the large, pointed stud at the top of the case and the overall ammo look of the case to be gimmicky and immature. I can't speak to its appeal to the men, but I think that most women who can afford this lipstick are probably not Goths, Emos, or escapees from the local gun show! Not that you have to love the case for the lipstick to be good, but packaging is an important part of a brand's identity which can cause a person to stop and take a look or walk on by. Unfortunately, that stud reminds me of something you'd see adorning the top of a Prussian helmet <-( :-/ and not the case of a luxury lipstick. I can appreciate that the guys wanted to make a statement, but it isn't the kind of statement I want to make whenever I take my lipstick out in public. Just my opinion. I'm sure there are other people who think the case is really cool. Chacun a son goût.

MichelleSLC said...

Got the red and love it. I cant believe how long it wears. It lasted almost 12 hours was this a long wear?