Thursday, December 24, 2015

Merry Christmas!

Every Christmas, I used to set up the nativity scene, arranging the characters perfectly. The wise men were arriving on their camels. The people and animals - along with the baby Jesus - were placed just so. As soon as I turned my back, a cat joined the scene. The figures were knocked over and spread from here to there, just so our little darling could be part of the action. It didn't matter which cat over the years; they all did it. Charlie doesn't get a Christmas tree. He's such a little devil, it would be tipped over in no time.

Christmas Eve, a day of anticipation, last-minute preparations, or both. It's almost as magical as Christmas Day. When I was growing up, we trimmed our Christmas tree on Christmas Eve. My father would wire the tree to hooks on the baseboard so that it wouldn't tip over (say, if a Charlie cat decided to climb it), and we would drag out the ornaments - antique and new - to turn it from a beautiful tree into a splendid one. With the Nativity scene, cat, and all the packages under the tree, it was the focus of our living room until New Year's Day. I have hung my wreath on the door in memory of our family tradition.

I had planned to feature new makeup over the last week, but we haven't seen the sun once. It is warm today, 70+ degrees, and destined to set a new record. However, it's cloudy and foggy. I have finished all preparations except for packaging gifts. I will start delivering them later today. Tomorrow, I will prepare the prime rib dinner requested by my mother.

I think my greatest wish this year is for "peace on Earth and goodwill toward all people and animals." Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if 2016 could go by without wars, murders, terrorism, cruelty, and starvation?

I wish you a wonderful Christmas or the holiday you are celebrating this year. I hope this season is kind to you and your loved ones!

Photos courtesy of merrychristmaswisheschristmaseve.com and nappavalleyregister.com

15 comments:

Sylvia said...

Merry Christmas to you and yours CG. We are having a quiet holiday this year, and with few decorations due to our "Charlie" cat, Oliver, who bears a marked resemblance to your Charlie. He has done well with our very simply decorated tree to my surprise, but I decided not to tempt him. I hope we see some peace in the coming year for all living creatures. Wishing you the best for the coming year. It has been a delight to find your posts returning to my inbox. - Sylvia

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas to you!
Thank you so much for your posts when you were able, I check every day. I know the struggles you mentioned in prior posts and wish for you to have some better luck in the coming year.
Merry Christmas with thoughts and prayers for you and your mother to have a healthy & happy New Year!

Evelyn said...

I'll wish for the same for Christmas and the New Year - peace and more love and consideration for our fellow men and women. On the frivolous side, some lovely makeup and perfume would be great too. :)

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to all!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Sylvia, Anonymous, and Evelyn! I am getting cleaned up to go to a friend's house for dinner tonight. Then I have to rest up to "do" Christmas tomorrow. I'm saddened because I don't know how many Christmas days I'll have left with Mom. I hope she has a nice day.

I love you all!

Annie M said...

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family, Charleston Girl! I'm having fun tracking Santa on the Google 'Santa Tracker' and feeling like a kid again. Peace to you and wishes for a safe holiday!

DLori said...

I've been thinking of you a lot since reading your last post about the hardships you've had to face this year. Every time I sat down to write you an email, I just couldn't find the right words to express how horrible I felt for you. So I'd rather take this time to wish you and your mom a wonderful Holiday and let's pray that 2016 brings us all health, happiness and prosperity.
All My Love,
Diane K.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Merry Christmas, Charleston Girl!

LilyBiscuit said...

Merry Christmas! I'm cooking too for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. I hope your day is wonderful tomorrow.

Meredith said...

I too feel a little apprehensive this year due to this is probably the last Christmas I'll be able to have my mother at my house. She will have to be lifted in and out of the car and put into her wheelchair. I hope she will be happy at my house. We will have a nice Honeybaked ham dinner and lots of gifts. It just wouldn't be Christmas without her. Have a wonderful day tomorrow CG.

Never Enough Nails said...

I hope your Christmas with your mom is wonderful tomorrow!
The scene in the nativity looks familiar, although my kitty's new activity is sliding around the room on the tree skirt!

Elysse said...

Merry Christmas to you, too! Maybe when Charlie is older he'll be able to co-exist with a Christmas tree and all the baubles on it!

Eileen said...

I left a more philosophical holiday ramble on the previous Nest post as I didn't know whether or not you'd be posting again so soon. I should have had more faith! As loyal as your readers are to you, you are to them, and so, of course, you'd find time to wish everyone well as the "big day" approached. You and your wonderful readers are very special and caring people and so staying connected is just what you do :-)

The festivities at our house are just getting underway. My younger son wasn't able to fly down from San Francisco until last night and so we're getting off to a late start ;-) It doesn't really matter, though, as both my sons are adults and my husband comes from a country where Christmas is not widely celebrated. He's lived in the US for going on forty years, but every year as December approaches, he asks, "So when is Christmas this year?" At least he has the month down pat if not the date! LOL

I hope you all have an enjoyable day and a relaxing week as we start gearing up for the New Year. Happy holidays, everyone!

Drtvrmoi said...

Wishing you a happy & healthy holiday season. May the coming year be gentle to you. You've been missed, CharlestonGirl

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas and good fortune and health to your and your loved ones in the new year. May you and your mother be well and your animals, too. I love your Nativity Scene and the cat in the middle. What a precious picture. Thanks for sharing your traditions with you. I miss you and look forward to your posts.
Warmly,
Tanja

Resham said...

Hope u had a good festival... Looking forward to more posts👍🏻