Sunday, July 27, 2014

Chanel Dentelle Précieuse Illuminating Powder

Chanel's Dentelle Précieuse Illuminating Powder ($80) has been exclusive to Nordstrom, a beauty feature of the Anniversary Sale. I was given an extra-special courtesy when I was allowed to purchase it slightly before the end of pre-sale (I do not carry store cards). Then I forgot to take photos. Duh!

This lacy luxury is a very special girl. She comes wrapped in a fold-over pouch with an elastic band to keep her in place. There is a place for her brush in the pouch. Her box is even large, giving her the aura of a collector's piece.

We tried the tester on my skin before I purchased Dentelle Précieuse Illuminating Powder. It looks beautiful on my pale face. I do wonder how it will appear on very dark skins. It might disappear because it is pastel and soft when applied. I think it's magnificent on my skin.

Note the difference in color between my photo, directly above, and the Nordstrom/Chanel photo at the top of this feature. The real color is closer to the Nordstrom/Chanel photo, but lighter. I was not wearing pink, nor were there any pink flowers near me when I snapped my photo in full sun. That pink cast is a mystery.

We'll let the swatch photos prove that. I took them in full, early afternoon sun. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply the powder extremely heavily at the top of my arm. Then I used a kabuki brush to show you a moderate swatch below. The nice thing about this powder is that I can achieve any look I want by varying the brush I use. I prefer to use a fluffy cheek brush to apply a sheer veil, which suits my everyday look quite well.

You can see the beautiful, soft gold shade in both swatches. I do not see the pink on my skin. Do you?

I think it's a perfect gold for everyone. It was a nice choice on Nordstrom's part. As you can see, it is sparkly, but not overly so. It's pretty and girly, not garish or glittery. It stays on too. I'd estimate five-hour wear. It does not make it all day when applied lightly.

"But of course," some will say to me. What do you expect when Nordstrom teams up with Chanel?

I'd like to see this highlighter distributed to all the Chanel counters so that everyone can take a look and see whether it will make a nice addition to their makeup wardrobes. I just tried to find it on Nordstrom's Web site and couldn't. I'm wondering if it sold out there. Surely the stores still have it available.

If you would like to see more photos, check out Sara's at Color Me Loud. I found it interesting that she also captured the pink tone in the compact.

I love my new illuminating powder. It stands out among the hundreds I already have. That's an achievement!

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

JudithDM said...

You got me with the lace! I know it will eventually wear off, but I have not seen a product so beautiful in a long time! I am loaded with illuminizers, many recommended by Charleston Girl, and if I followed any common sense I would just sail past, however irrestible. AND, the color is gorgeous, not too sparkly and will suit my very medium skin perfectly! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

It was available to all on Nordies online since the start of the presale, not just cardholders, not sure why. It's still there

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chanel-dentelle-precieuse-illuminating-face-powder-nordstrom-exclusive/3746618?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_1_A

It looks way better in your swatch than it did on me. I ended up returning it as it was an ugly orangey tone on my nc15 skin.

Anonymous said...

Hello :)
This gorgeous work of art is still online at Nordstrom's... It's under Chanel "face" not listed in the Aniversary specials.
Thank you for another great review!!
Stacy

Anonymous said...

It isn't sold out; I located it easily online both signed in and not, so you don't need to have access to the pre-sale items to see it.

saw said...

Hi Charleston Girl,
Thanks for the link. I tried to photograph it with different light and for everything between skin and brownish to rosy browns. I was so confused during editing of the photos. Yours photos look lovely with the sun light. I was wondering how this one turns out on a lighter skin, thanks so much for the review.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Sara, you're welcome. You did a nice feature!

I know this treasure will look very different on different skin tones. I never have enough time to take my makeup to work and try it on others. :)

ame said...

I sadly ended up returning it because it was too dark for me. I am SO pasty white that it was really dark and kinda orange. I was hoping it would be more of a champagne on me.

ifmakeupcouldtalk said...

I think the pattern is exquisite, but sadly the color appeared too dull on my olive skin tone. I'm still loving my Estee Lauder Crystal Baby Gelee. Thanks for the swatches, I know how difficult it is to photograph highlighters.
-Maria

Unknown said...

If you decide to sell it I'll buy it full price :)