Monday, February 10, 2014

Aroma M Camellia Body/Bath Oil by Maria McElroy

I've used more oil on my face and body this winter than at any other time in my life. My skin has been skin-slurping dry, and it has appreciated the oils that bolstered my other moisturizers.

One of the oils I have used - and used up - is Maria McElroy's Camellia Body/Bath Oil ($60). Maria graciously sent me a large sample, and my arms and legs enjoyed every drop of it. I first told you about Maria McElroy, founder of aroma M, when I tried her Camellia Hair and Face Oils. If you missed that feature, I'll summarize it here (see the link for more background information).

American born artist Maria McElroy synthesized her love of blending colors and textures with her passion for scent to create aroma M perfumes in 1995. Maria's seven-year journey, rich in Japanese history, romance, and mystery, became the genesis for aroma M Beauty and the inspiration for her beauty products.

Maria's appreciation for Japanese culture and aesthetics and her extraordinary experiences in the secretive world of the Kyoto Gion Geishas have been the foundation for aroma M’s Beauty products. Steeped in the ways of ancient Eastern traditions, and adhering to the Eastern mandate that beauty is a daily routine, Maria uses unexpected, precious ingredients in her beauty line.

In her beauty products, she uses organic cold pressed oils and organic essential oils - all carefully selected for the ultimate refined beauty experience. Although she is well known for her fragrances, her beauty line is relatively new. Her initial two offerings were the Camellia Hair Oil and Camellia Face Oil. Then she added the Body/Bath Oil. I have to admit, all of it went straight to my skin; I didn't want to use a drop of it diluted with my bath water. I have less luxurious oils for that.

The fragrant, healing fragrant Body/Bath Oil treatment combines beneficial emollient organic oils (Camellia Seed Oil, Grape Seed Oil, and Golden Jojoba,). It is charged with the synergy of essential oils derived from flowers and other botanicals (Jasmine, Geranium, Frankincense, and Neroli) with the addition of heady Moroccan Rose Oil. Each time I read the ingredients, I swoon.

This elixir effortlessly melts into all skin types without leaving any residue and adds the experience of uplifting, fully natural fragrance to soothe the mind and banish anxiety and moisturize the skin, leaving it soft, supple, and beautifully scented. Even if it didn't moisturize, the aroma of this wonderful oil would have left me in a zen-like state. Application before bed comforts and relaxes me while the oil does its work to prevent scaly skin. Before I started using Maria's Camellia Body/Bath Oil on my legs, I could have traced an urban road map.

If you choose to create a moisturizing bath, add a tablespoon of this luscious oil to a cup of milk (which I never have on hand because I'm lactose intolerant) and soak in its near-magical powers. This is the ideal liquid moisturizer for hydrating skin to create a luminous complexion. Maria McElroy of Aroma M Beauty has combined her experience in the beauty rituals of the Japanese Gion Geisha and Western aromatherapy traditions to create a product for a beneficial and beautiful beauty ritual that combines the best of both traditions.

Camellia oil has been a Japanese beauty secret for centuries, and it is considered to be so beneficial and valuable that it has become a symbol of wealth, virtue. and happiness (I can only testify to happiness). It is made from cold-pressed Japanese camellia (Tsubaki) buds, which are a member of the tea family. It is very lightweight and absorbs well. Camellia oil is lighter than oils like shea butter and jojoba, is hypoallergenic, and will not clog pores. It is a superb daily moisturizer and emollient, protecting the skin from chafing and drying out. It replenishes vital nutrients as it offers a variety of healing, nourishing, and stimulating properties to purify and protect the skin. Camellia oil restores the skin's pH balance and shields the skin from penetration by environmental pollutants. It acts as a natural sun block by forming a barrier against harmful UV rays. It's so complete a treatment that only a dancing bottle could add another feature.

We have yet another snow storm forming on the coast - one that is likely to move in Wednesday night and continue through Thursday. I doubt I can order more and have it delivered by Wednesday. I should have thought about that last week - but I didn't know then how big the snow event might be. I'll order my full bottle this week, though, and luxuriate in this oil as camellia blooming season starts (she says with hope).

There is a store locator here, and it includes online retailers like Luckyscent. If you love flowers, botanical skin treatments, or skin oils, you will love Maria's Camellia Body/Bath Oil. Let us know how you choose to use it. Bath or body - or both?

Photo at top courtesy of aroma M; camellia photo courtesy of Monrovia.com

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am very interested in Camellia Oil. I've heard only good things about it. I sampled Tatcha's Camellia Oil and I really liked it. Since you don't have milk on hand, use dry milk. It stores well and easier to use in the bath. You can also use it to make a hydrating mask. Still safe.

Jo said...

Hi CG, I'm seriously tempted. Stay warm & dry!

Unknown said...

I guess this has been the worst winter for USA. My friends and relatives in usa and canada are actually missing the hot, sultry, muggy mumbai weather. Take care, stay warm and safe.

Patricia M said...

So tempting! This seems like a great product to try out. I have this in one of my friends and she loves it so much. I think I will try this one out and see how it works.

Lisa said...

Totally off topic so please forgive but I couldn't wait to share this with you! In June Chantecaille is launching a liquid luminizer in 3 shades: ROSE GOLD, gold, and I can't remember to third! I was having a makeover with a travelling makeup artist for the line who has already been playing with the products and she reports they are stunning! She said she liked the effect of mixing the rose gold and gold together. Can not wait! She did not know if they would be permanent to the line.