Friday, November 8, 2013

The Friday Forum - November 8

Acorns - the stuff of life for squirrels and future oak trees. Years ago - maybe eight - I planted an already large red oak because of the large acorns red oaks produce, which are ideal for my furry friends. Each year, I wait for fall to see if my squirrels were blessed with acorns. So far, nothing. I hope for next year. One year, we will see acorns. The tree has grown well. I even up up a fence to protect it from the undisciplined children who live behind me.

The best and biggest acorns in the general vicinity come from chestnut oaks. They grow at the top of a nearby hill. Each year I used to go uphill to collect them and bring some back to my house. There were plenty for their squirrels and mine. This year, I didn't go. Sadly, several neighbors who welcomed me onto their properties to collect acorns passed away. When I think about all the sweet neighbors I used to have, I get sad. Enough of that.

I placed a rather large order at Sephora early yesterday morning. I had filled my cart earlier this week. By the time I got online at 5:00 am, one item was already sold out: a new Guerlain nail lacquer. I'll live nicely without it. I spent too much, but the lure of that 20% discount got the best of me.

During the last two weeks, I have run out of my stockpile of two favorite hair products that were discontinued a long time ago. I was heartbroken, kicking myself for not ordering more when they were discontinued. I have finally run out of my all-time favorite hair spray, Suave Professional's Weather Protection 365. Fortunately, I found a Suave replacement at CVS: Max Hold Hairspray. I like it just fine. I've searched the earth for a suitable replacement for Catwalk's Frisky, a styling product. I can't find one. Potential replacements all have something wrong with them: a funky smell, too much weight, stickiness. My complaints are endless. At this point, I guess I'll have to return to a mousse. To Catwalk, you lost both me and my hair stylist when you discontinued Frisky. Your "replacement" wasn't even close. Isn't it disappointing when a company discontinues your favorite product? From bras to hairspray, it's personal.

I need to put in a plug for Luckyscent. Nearly each month, the company offers a sample pack for a small price - normally around $35. I seldom pass one up. The packs are a great way to try fragrances before you buy - and have an introduction to new houses or new fragrances. Last month, the pack included a sample of Indult's Tihota, and I have fallen in love with it.

Rapa Nui for sugar, Tihota is, quite simply, The One. The One that will call to you every moment you’re not smelling it; The One that you’ve only had hints of in other vanilla perfumes; The One that lasts and lasts; The One that has perfectly captured the essence of the pure nature of fresh vanilla beans and has harnessed it beyond your wildest dreams. It inspires obsessive devotion with its fragrance of smooth, vanilla bean pods dipped in honeyed water and left to steep. The result is the pure magic, an unbridled vanilla, sweet, raw and achingly desirable. Of course, Tihota isn’t the first perfume to focus on the dark sweetness of vanilla… perfumery is filled with vanillas, but this smells like the dream of a master perfumer who was obsessed with vanilla and was finally given free rein to worship the note with no apologies. It is, without a sliver of a doubt, the finest pure vanilla we’ve ever had the honor of carrying, and it’s so beautiful it pains us to put the bottle down.

To say Tihota is delicious would be an understatement. I'm not even a huge fan of vanilla fragrances, but Tihota captured me quickly. I must have a bottle. It was created by Francis Kurkdjian, a perfumer who creates fragrances for his own line, but many others as well. When I wear Tihota, I may smell like dessert, but if that translates into edible, I can't wait to hear the compliments. Just in case you haven't discovered this yet, men seem to love vanilla and other gourmand fragrances.

It's time for the Friday Forum. I love this part of our week. What new products did you discover this week? Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

I hope you have a great weekend!

Photos courtesy of blogs.venturacountystar.com, Suave, and Luckyscent

19 comments:

Nemo said...

I am loving my CHANEL Charming eye palette from the holiday collection. I just received my Tom Ford Ice Queen eye quad and will try that this weekend. It will be a perfect complement to a gorgeous little blue dress I want my husband to buy me, haha. As for hair products, Cg, I have used plenty, but I always go back to Aveda and that's where I've stayed for a few years now. I have really long hair, and I sweat it out terribly when I work out, so I like to run an oil through it when it's sweaty. I am using a sample of an Aveda hair oil that hits the market next month. It is fabulous. I wish you and your readers a happy, sunny, makeup-up buying-filled weekend.

Christina said...

I love watching the squirrels hunt for nuts. I try to bring some to them, but they get frightened and run away? What is your trick? Do you just place acorns/nuts near a tree and how the squirrels find them?

I, too, placed quite a large order with Sephora yesterday. I ended up placing two! I'm going to have to restrain myself and be very frugal these next few weeks in order to have enough for Christmas presents!

Eileen said...

I loved your reminiscence about acorn gathering. My grandparents lived in the mountains but they had primarily pines on their property with only a few oaks. Their fat and happy colony of squirrels had plenty of pine nuts but acorns were a rare and special treat. So, my grandfather and I, sacks in hand, would go a-wandering, gathering acorns along the way. He taught me to take just a handful from each tree for our squirrels and to leave the rest for all the other woodland creatures that depended upon those particular trees for their sustenance. When we'd get back to the house, we'd scatter the acorns throughout the property so that the squirrels had to search for them and gather them. My grandfather said it was important to foster the ways of nature and not teach the squirrels to rely on us rather than their own gathering instincts. My grandfather--a quiet, wise, and thoughtful man--lived in perfect harmony with nature. And, although this particular memory isn't technically beauty related, it always brings to my mind beauty of spirit and generosity of heart.

Charming is still ruling the vanity! I'm really pleased with that palette. I love the subtle luminosity of the satin-matte finish and would love to see more shadows in this particular formulation as it is particularly flattering on older lids.

The newly reformulated Météorites pearls will be coming out in January. Anyone interested in trying the standard pearls (not the LE's) should probably hold off until the new ones are available. It will be interesting to see how the two formulas compare. The new ones are supposedly softer and smoother.

Ah, the Sephora sale! I put in an order yesterday morning and was able to get everything I wanted. I bought holiday gifts and a few treats for myself. I showed remarkable restraint! :-)

I hope everyone enjoys a wonderful weekend.

CGirl said...

Happy Friday, CG! I hope all of you are well. I have been loving the fall-ish weather we've been having (still a bit too warm to truly feel like fall). My brother was married last weekend, and had a movie-themed wedding where everyone had to dress like a character from a movie. I decided to have fun with hair and makeup, so I went as Cyn (Joan Cusack) from Working Girl. It was fun, though I learned I really hate big hair haha.

I've had my Sephora cart full for a while, but I haven't pulled the trigger. I need to do so this morning: things keep selling out! I'm disappointed I wasn't quick enough to get the EB illuminating eye base in Cashmere. I'm getting the next shade (Dune), but I'm worried it will be too dark.

I do have a question for everyone: I need a recommendation for a good exfoliator for dry, sensitive skin. I've been using Laura Mercier Face Polish, but it's too harsh to use in winter. I'd appreciate any help!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

virginiaisforluvrs said...

Oh my goodness! That perfume sounds heavenly!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Nemo!

The Chanel palette became available at Chanel.com, so now everyone can order one. :)

Happy weekend!

Charlestongirl said...

Christina, I do put the nuts by their trees, but I have a squirrel feeder, and the acorns are a sure find on the ground near the feeder.

I want to place another Sephora order - if anything is left. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, your grandfather was a wise man - to the ways of nature. I'm sorry there aren't more of him around.

I need to go Sephora shopping again. I'm sure there will be more I want. The problem is that I have a very long Beautyhabit list too, and I have a discount coupon. They are all competing for the same wallet.

Charlestongirl said...

OMG, CGirl, I got an EB eye base. I bought one to have it for when mine runs short. I put it in my cart Wednesday. I'm surprised it is sold out. You would think they could get more easily.

Buy a chemical exfoliator. There are very few physical ones I can use. The glycolic acid ones are really good. You might love the NB one I featured yesterday.

I do like the Chantecaille cleanser that has tiny particles in it. It's very gentle.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginia,

It is - and then some. I must have it.

Charlestongirl said...

As y'all know, packing peanuts are very bad for cats. I just caught Charlie with his head in a small padded envelope. That little bad boy just found and pulled out a peanut to chew on. He wasn't too happy when his head got stuck in the bag, but he pulled it off with his arm. Little devil! I took the peanut away from him - and the envelope.

Unknown said...

I'm only a Beauty Insider and so no discount for me. I was in the store today and the SA said she didn't know if "people like me" would get a discount. I'm not that thrilled with that classification. Lol.

Anonymous said...

I adore that you are collecting acorns for squirrels. We used to gather chestnuts for foresters to give to deer and wild boars.
Like Eileen, I love Chanel's Charming palette. The colors are so wearable and stay put for 12 hours. The dark shades are fab used wet as liners. The colors are in perfect harmony as well.
I am trying out Alterna Bamboo shampoo and Lavanila deodorant.

Eileen, your story is heartwarming. My grandfather was like that, too and passed on this wisdom to his children and grandchildren. What happened to these kinds of wisdoms and philosophies, i.e. Don't take more than you need, be a stewart of nature, etc.?
Have a happy, restful weekend,
Tanja

grlnxdor said...

A couple items I wanted from Sephora were already sold out when I placed my order last night. I *settled* for the Guerlain Crazy 68 Terracota Bronzer and Dior's Rosy Glow Healthy Awakening Blush. I'm pretty sure that I am going to be thrilled with these two babies!

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Your cat loves those things, too? Grr...I have to watch out for a lot of things like that. My cat thinks he's a dog!

And this will sounds weird, but I miss squirrels!! I know, I know...I live by the ocean, and have seals swimming by my house. But I used to have real trees, and squirrels. Not anymore. I'm a Midwest-girl at heart, what can I say???

I had some things all ready to go in my Sephora cart, and I know how quickly things sell-out, so I pressed "Purchase" as soon as I could. I got:
Laura Mercier Baked Eye Colour - Wet/Dry Baked Eye Colour in Smoky Topaz
Bobbi Brown Eye Sweep Brush
Tria Skin Perfecting Serum
And a free sample of Julep Freedom™ Polymer Top Coat, which I've been wanting to try.

Lisa C said...

I too have gone overboard with the Sephora sale, especially for skincare! Oh, and have you tried Ebay for the Catwalk Frisky? I'm pretty sure you can get it on there. Maybe Amazon as well?

Good luck! I know how it feels when they always inevitably discontinue a cherished item.

Eileen said...

Hi CGirl,

I second what Charlestongirl said about using a chemical exfoliating product instead of a physical one. But, if glycolic acid is too harsh on your sensitive skin, check out an enzyme one. Tatcha makes three versions of their excellent water-activated enzyme powder: Gentle, Classic, and Deep. Start by leaving it on for 30 seconds and work up to leaving it on for a full minute. Rinse it off and moisturize. That's it. The powders are meant to be used daily, but I use the Gentle one only three times a week. That's all I need to keep my dry, mature, rosacea prone skin smooth and clear.

Evelyn said...

Awww cats are too cute even when they're getting into everything! I'd like to adopt one or a dog but for the moment my life's too hectic to devote the time needed to them. I wouldn't want my furry friend home alone for long hours every day. One day though! I had my first snowbird (aka dark-eyed junco) show up the other day so I know winter's on its way.

I've made two visits to Sephora already (by the way, did everyone need to have their sales all at the same time?!). I bought mostly item sets to mix and match for goodie bags for the people I work with and my sister. I know I am keeping one Nest mini and some Tocca minis for me though. lol I still have one or 2 items that I should pick up now because I do use them up (Alterna shampoo & Nars primer) and I think that's it.

I'm definitely on the hunt for the ultimate hand cream. The skin on my right hand is already a disaster with cracked patches and it's not even below 40 yet. Any ideas?

Have a fun weekend everyone! :)

CGirl said...

Thanks for the help with exfoliations everyone. I have a sample of an enzyme-based one, so I'll try that. I've been wanting to try the Tatcha powder, but I'll have to ask for it for Christmas.

Evelyn, I swear by Jack Black Hand Salve. My hands are awful during the winter (I often get eczema), and this lotion has made a significant difference during the last year. You can also get it 20% off right now at both Sephora (the large size is sold-out though) and Beauty.com.