Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Dior Voyage Tan Golden Shimmer Powder from the Saks Fifth Avenue Summer 2014 Transatlantique Collection

I knew when I saw Dior's limited-edition Voyage Tan Golden Shimmer Powder ($58) at Saks, that it would be a high-wattage highlighter. Indeed. It will give you flash and shine.

The elegant golden shimmer compact is embossed with a rope pattern and creates beaming radiance on the skin. The finely milled iridescent pigments create a soft golden glow on the skin, making it look as if it had been kissed by the sun. The limited-edition compact is delivered with a mini kabuki brush - cute, but not one I would use when I have full-sized brushes here.

I took swatch photos in full sun. I swatched at the top of my arm with a sponge-tipped applicator. Then I used Dior's mini Kabuki brush (which comes housed with the compact in a large box) to create a larger swatch below.

Voyage Tan Golden Shimmer Powder is not a highlighter for the shy and retiring type. You have to be able to live with a golden gleam to appreciate its radiance on the skin. As you can see at the top of my arm, where I applied the powder heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator, it adds a beautiful soft gold gleam. It is not shimmery if you buff it as you apply it.

The powder is more subtle when it's applied with a brush. Still, I don't think I'd wear it to work. I can imagine how pretty it would be if my face were reflecting candlelight in a romantic restaurant. Used on the highest part of the cheekbones, temples, and margins of the face, I will give you a halo effect.

I like it! It's not my usual choice for a highlighting powder, but I find the color flattering. I can almost see some rose in it, but that might be my imagination - you know I love rose gold. You do not see gold in the compact.

You can purchase this limited edition today at Saks Fifth Avenue counters. It appears to have disappeared online. Does that mean it's flying out of stores?

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

*JW* said...

You just gave me an idea. I have a very similar looking product by Estee Lauder from a few years ago. I never could figure out how to use it best. Now, I'm going to use a big Kabuki-like brush to put it around the perimeter of my face. THANKS.

Lisa said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Stunning! I love golds that aren't too warm for my fair skin. This is a must-have! Thanks for the post!

Behindthepillar said...

Really gorgeous. I was looking at photos of this on the Harrods website today. I love the design and am very keen on obvious highlighters but it is very like my Guerlain Sun in the City from two years ago (which I still have a ton of) to justify buying. Also looks quite similar to the Laura Mercia rose gold shimmer from last Autumn? Susan, London

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!! One of the prettiest highlighters I have seen in some time.

On another note, hope you get to feeling better soon. "I hurt" is a sentiment I know and understand all too well - It is always sad when someone else you 'know' is going through the same thing. Chin up.

Bonnie C. said...

Oh, this is so very pretty! :-) I really like that it leans more toward a champagne gold than a yellow/orangey gold (which I don't find as flattering). I can also see it possibly having a faint amount of rose too, :-) but all in all I think it is just really lovely. Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Anonymous said...

Wow beautiful! Has it come and gone already? I checked my Saks website and it is not listed.

K said...

Thank you for putting this on my radar! I've wanted a gold highlighter ever since I missed out on the Chanel Bombay collection -- and this is exactly it. I went to Saks NYC last night and was just in time -- they said the one I bought was the last "not on hold" one left in the store! :)

Hope you're feeling better and getting some much needed rest!