Saturday, April 19, 2014

Guerlain Maxi Shine Gloss d’Enfer in Nahema Smack for Summer 2014

The tube of Guerlain's Maxi Shine Gloss d'Enfer in Nahema Smack (#940, $30) sings summer. It presents itself as a warm orange or coral shade that might scare anyone who don't gravitate toward orange lip colors because of our coloring. The fascinating thing about Nahema Smack is that it's not really orange on the lips. I'll show you the color; just don't ask me about its name. I have no idea what it means.

I purchased mine blind, relying on Jonathan at the Guerlain Boutique to describe the lip colors that were coming for summer and help me choose those that might work for me. Once again, Jonathan scored a perfect prediction. You are going to love him. I'll give you his phone number at the bottom of the feature. He is my go-to guy for Guerlain.

My first hint that Nahema Smack wasn't a fiery orange was on the applicator. It has much more rose on it than I was expecting. The applicator said "rosy coral."  Sure enough, that's what I saw on my arm and lips. On my lips, it is even more rose and less coral than it appears on my arm - no doubt because of the rose pigment in my lips. I think Nahema Smack may end up vying with #440 (called a coral pink shimmer) for my favorite gloss. I wear #440 every day. I think I have six of them. If Guerlain ever discontinues the shades, I may cry.

I took my photos in mid-day full sun, just as some high clouds started to roll in - perfect conditions for showing color without extra reflection from sunshine. Look at this gorgeous color! It is vibrant, saturated, and subtly shiny. The shine comes from a measured amount of micro-shimmer.

I've included three exposures here - all showing slightly different intensity of Nahema Smack's color and shine. They all came from the same swatch. Oddly, if you check out other blogs, you may find it looks bright orange. I cannot explain the difference.

No matter which photo becomes the focus of your attention, I think you'll agree with me that Nahema Smack is much prettier and more elegant - and certainly more wearable - than it appears in the tube. I love this shade!

Gloss d'Enfer Maxi Shine’s oil composition creates a moisturizing barrier to ensure an intense softness. The ergonomic applicator allows for easy lip definition, more effectively evoking the hint of a smile. Additionally, each shade presents varying degrees of coverage and pigment intensity. The perfect partner for a desirable, appealing smile, Maxi Shine offers tailor-made effects for beautifully enhanced lips.

As advertised,  Gloss d'Enfer offers lovely ladylike shimmer and feels great on the lips. It offers average wear time, with the more pigmented shades lasting longer than the very sheer ones. These glosses have a smooth and non-sticky texture and glide onto the lips like a second skin. Guerlain says we'll forget Maxi Shine is even on. I understood them when I applied the first, with the launch last spring. Composed of mineral and vegetal oils, the texture forms a protective barrier on the lips that prevents moisture from evaporating and keeps the lips soft and hydrated. My lips look extremely shiny, radiant, and even brilliant when I wear Gloss d'Enfer. This is my kind of lip gloss.

Interested? Call Jonathan at the Guerlain Boutique at in Las Vegas at (702) 732-7008. He usually works a later shift, so I find him in the late afternoon or early evening East Coast time. I love our three-hour time difference and phone shopping with him at night! Naturally, the Guerlain Summer 2014 Color Collection will arrive at all Guerlain counters - probably this month. I like shopping in Las Vegas; I save on tax and pay no shipping fees. They treat me well. How much better can it get?

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

3 comments:

Lori Jenkins said...

CG! Oh my gosh - have you tried the Nahema lipstick? I was terrified of it, but let an SA talk to me into and I've worn it every day for 3 weeks. On the lips, it's a magically perfect rosy coral - perfect for our fair skin. One of those colors that makes your skin look clear and bright! Next up I'm going to have to have that gloss. Please check out the lipstick - you wont regret it!

Anonymous said...

Hi, this is a beautiful shade. Could you tell me if its fragrance is very strong? I generally prefer unscented lip products but I am ok with some like Chanel Coco Shines? How does it compare to these in terms of scent? Thank you. Kate

Unknown said...

Pretty! This looks a lot like a shimmery version of my beloved discontinued Revlon Super Lustrous in Coral Reef.