Sunday, April 20, 2014

Tom Ford Unabashed Eye and Cheek Compact for Summer 2014

I purchased Tom Ford's Unabashed Eye and Cheek Compact ($95) reluctantly. It appeared to have a few colors I would like, but the cobalt blue in the press photo (above) gave me pause. I was finally able to take photos to show you why my initial reluctance was reinforced by the real thing.

Tom Ford's limited-edition palette imbues a sultry, effortless summer look with a refreshing twist of color. Eyes are enveloped in a blend of soft pearl and satin finish neutrals and a bold accent of cobalt. Cheeks are illuminated with light rose and peach coral shades for a warm and sexy glow. Packaged in a retro-chic, ivory- and gold-colored Tom Ford case.

The case is white with gold trim - and huge. No one could complain about the amount of product in this $95 compact. The colors I was really looking forward to what appeared to be a shimmering taupe in the upper left corner. I knew the blue would be useful only as an eyeliner. The grey looked nice, as did the cheek colors. Unfortunately, the "shimmering taupe" is nothing but shimmering. It offers a glittering light gold - no taupe.

I took my swatch photos in full, mid-day sun. I swatched all of the shades with a sponge-tipped applicator, working in clockwise order. The "shimmering taupe" is at the top of my arm. What a nearly transparent, glitter fest! I was crushed with the disappointment. I have plenty of glitter eye shadows. I'll admit they are useful as toppers, but one doesn't need a wardrobe of them.

That shade was the make-or-break shade for me. Most of the others can be easily duplicated in my huge collection. They are beautiful, but not unique. The glitter shade does have a touch of gold in it, but it bears no resemblance to what I see in the compact. Sob!

The golden shade is supposed to be a bronzer/cheek shade. I don't see myself using it that way. I will use it as an eye shadow. The blush, a gorgeous warm pink, is the star of the compact. Fortunately, there is an ample amount of it. I'm sure I will wear it down to the bottom of the compact.

The cobalt blue would have no use to me except as an eyeliner. Even then, it's flashy - not my style. I will give it an A+ for last. It clings to the skin and lasts all day.

The taupe-grey shade is very pretty and will be a staple in my wardrobe over the next few months. I think it's a perfect daytime shade. Would the blue liner look good with it? Absolutely, as long as you are comfortable wearing flashy makeup. I can see a woman with chocolate skin wearing the blue as an eyeshadow. It could be snazzy. I'd love to find a model. I may ask a friend of Indian heritage, who has darker skin than I do, to give it a try. I want to see how it looks on her.

What did I buy for $95? A large compact with three shades I will wear and two that will look nearly as pristine as the day I pulled the compact from its brown fabric pouch. Translated statistically, it scores a 60%: not great, but not bad. I guess I expect more from Tom Ford.

I also purchased Solar Gold, which I will show you very soon. For more photos, see Sabrina's The Beauty Look Book.

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

23 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this palette. Even the blue. I like the glitter the least. Hey Tom, enough with the glitter! The Solar Gold was a massive fail with me. It barely shows up on my lips. It is just random glitter on my face. I don't like the feel of it. I'd just as soon wear a gloss than this. I look forward to the new blushes in the fall collections.

Makeupremastered said...

I agree with your assessment of only loving a few shades! -I think the blue is the star of the palette as in my Tom Ford stash I have similar variations on the other eye and cheek shades-the bronzer shade will be a miss for most I think-I hesitantly gave this palette a pass-but think I made the right choice.

Jo said...

Happy Easter CG! Reading this reinforces my decision not to purchase this palette. I hope you enjoy yours!

Anonymous said...

Why don't you return it? I know that no one likes to return tested makeup, but if you only do it *very* rarely I see no problem with it.

Sorry it was a disappointment...Usually I am so tempted by almost all limited edition Tom Ford items but this never so much as piqued my curiosity. :(

Behindthepillar said...

I do agree that the glitter shade is the weakest link, which is surprising as TF usually excels at wearable glitters with minimal fall-out. However, I love this palette, after initially thinking it was not for me. The blusher is beautiful - pigmented but far more nuanced than my previous TF blushes. On my fair skin the matte taupe can double as a contour and the so-called bronzer, being too shimmery to contour, tops the blush as a highlight (it is like a powdered Fire Lust) or as eyeshadow. I was terrified by the cobalt but it is a sensational consistency for such a pigment and I am enjoying using it as a liner. MonsiieurAlex on Youtube demonstrates a very dramatic eye with this on his Mum - a mature fair skinned lady and it looks fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reviewing this. With my limited cosmetic funds, I think I'll pass. I got the Save the Bees palette from earlier this season. That should get me through the season just fine. The colors appear very similar to me minus the blue. Are they similar in real life, CG?

Lisa said...

I loved the blush shade as well but suffered horrible fallout from the blue when applied as a liner by the TF makeup artist. I pased on this pallette but would love this blush in an individual compact. I do think the celestials should be identified clearly to consumers when buying online so they aren't so shocked when they arrive instead of a true shimmer eyeshadow.

Vanessa said...

Happy Easter to everyone. The blue reminds me of a sharpie marker blue. Many thanks for the swatches as I will pass on this one!

Claire said...

I'm on the fence w/ this too, CG, mostly because of the cheek products. Would you comment on whether the blush and/or the bronzer is shimmery? Thanks.

Charlestongirl said...

Claire, the bronzer is shimmery. The blush is not.

Charlestongirl said...

S, Solar Gold is like a gold gloss. Have one? You don't need it.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous 7:07, I wouldn't return a 60%. I return almost nothing.

Eileen said...

I'm sorry you were disappointed in this palette. Sometimes that's just the way it goes. TF's past few releases have been such a success I'm sure it made the it even more of a let down. As for me, I love Unabashed and have been using everything--not necessarily all at the same time :-) I've been using the bronzer and blusher in the same manner that I used the two illuminating sticks from last summer's collection and find they work in concert to create a lovely burnished glow that's beautiful late in the afternoon and into the evening. As for the eyeshadows, I've had fun trying various looks and find the blue really punches up the green in my eyes. It blends beautifully with the taupe which is warmer than She Wolf; more befitting the summer season. As for the veil of fairy dust, I adore it! I use my finger to pat a bit on the ball of the moveable lid--not a lot but just enough to bring a sparkle to my eyes. All considered, I'm exceedingly pleased with Unabashed but then chacun à son goût!

Anonymous said...

Fran says:
After reading Behindthepillar comments, I watched the MonsiieurAlex clip. My thoughts turned to those restaurants where the lighting is so minimal one needs to bring a torch along to read the menu. Whilst I would not be game to wear this look in broad daylight I think it would be quite pretty and novel in a candle lit situation.

bisbee said...

Every time I see a picture of this palette I think "Estee Lauder". Not that there is anything wrong with Estee Lauder, but I don't think of Tom Ford in the same context.

I'll pass.

Kiss & Make-up said...

Yeowza, yeah, that is a lot of money for a palette that you don't use every shade from :-( Still looks nice though.

Unknown said...

I agree. The blush is like a powder version of Fire Lust. Which I adore. I hope he does the blush as a stand alone blush. The bronzer I use as a highlighter and on my eyes. There is an enormous amount of product in this compact.
I am going to return my Solar Gold. I purchased it sight unseen based on the Tom Ford reps recommendation. He said it would look amazing on my cheeks as a highlighter and outstanding as I live product. He was wrong on both counts. I seldom return make up. But this time it's on the SA because he was dead wrong. I will exchange it for a second Fire Lust if it's still available there.

Unknown said...

What about releasing the pallete and selling it to someone who enjoys these colors ... It's not for everyone and since it's sold out ... And many are wanting it ... Make it into a win win situation :)

Eileen said...

Hi Fran,

You're right about how beautifully this palette works for evening wear. Taken as a whole look, Unabashed is quite glam and really comes to life in the warm toned sunlight of late afternoon and on into the evening. My favorite makeup artist (Yes, Guerlain's Marcus Monson) taught me how to use a deep jewel tone with a neutral to create a stunning evening look that is smoky, sexy, and sophisticated without making my deep set eyes look like black holes and--most importantly seeing as I'm 69--without making me look ridiculous. So, I was not intimidated by that bold, deep blue and have enjoyed using it for evening looks. Seeing as I go out frequently, I will get plenty of use out of it. As for the taupe and glitter veil--love, love, love! They're beautiful any time day or night. A subtle hint of the fairy dust on just the moveable lid gives a now you see it; now you don't effect when the light strikes it as I blink my eyes.

If the bronzer and blusher were sold as a dual pan product, I bet no one would hesitate to purchase it. They are more universally appealing and will suit a wide range of skintones. It's the eyeshadows that seem to give many women pause. It's a gorgeous trio, but definitely not for everyone. But, as oft said, that's the great thing about makeup--theirs something for everyone :-)

Quirky Busy Beauty said...

I adore this palette. I actually even wore it to work today- and I'm not a blue and glitter eye woman (and my office is not that type of office). I'm just thrilled with it, but I don't own that many TF items.

Anonymous said...

Love and adore this palette as well!! Gourgeous!!! Although, was really hesitating to buy it... Sooo pleased I did. Love every single shade.

Susie said...

OMG!!! This palette is so pretty. Love the shades for they seem so natural on skin.

Anonymous said...

I love this palette- the colors are great. However, my compact has been stained by the brown pouch that it comes with. Has this happened to anyone else? I haven't used it much and store it in its pouch and gold box. I bought it in April, so I have not had it for long. I was disappointed in the low quality because one of the perks of this palette is being able to pull out that gorgeous white compact for touch ups!