Monday, April 21, 2014

Tom Ford Lip Shimmer in Solar Gold for Summer 2014

Tom Ford Lip Shimmer ($49) in Moonlight (white) and Solar Gold (above) can be swept onto bare lips for a sultry, glimmering effect, or veiled over Tom Ford Lip Color to add radiant shimmer to a spectrum of nude and vivid shades. Infused with Vitamins C and E and shea butter, this moisturizing lip glaze in a domed bullet is packaged in a limited-edition, ivory- and gold-colored Tom Ford case.
 
Like the palette for summer, Solar Gold gave me pause when I first saw the press photos. I wondered if it would add any color at all to my lips - or whether it would mimic gold lip glosses. For the most part, it mimics gold lip glosses, adding a slight golden shine to my lips. It's actually more useful as a cream highlighter.
 
I took photos in full, mid-day sun. I applied Solar Gold to my arm very heavily, trying to build enough pigment to show you some color.

This is about as good as it gets: a sheer golden shine that adds a gleam - not sparkle - to my lips. It's pretty, but not, in my opinion, worth its price. That may be because I own about 10 gold lip glosses.

On my lips, Solar Gold adds a slightly golden gleam when applied without lipstick underneath. I can see it, but I'm not sure anyone else would notice its subtle color. Use it to top a lipstick, and it almost disappears. It offers average wear and does have a taste. It feels marvelously hydrating on my lips.

Would I purchase it again? No. I bought blind. Will I wear it? Sure - maybe not often, but I'll wear it when I want a barely there sheen.

Tom Ford Beauty's Summer Collection can be found at Tom Ford counters and online.

Photo at top courtesy of Neiman Marcus; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Eileen said...

Because I have both the TF Lip Vinyls,nI wasn't tempted by these but that didn't stop me from checking them out the day I bought Unabashed. As far as using them as face highlighters, I think they're a bit sticky for that. I much prefer the "white" shade from his Shade and Illuminate to either one of these "shimmers". I thought these were the weakest part of his summer release :-(

Jo said...

I definitely do not these this. Thank you Tom for giving me a break after I went overboard on the Spring lipstick/nail polish release. LOL

Jo said...

Oops, meant to say need this.

Quirky Busy Beauty said...

The more swatches I see of these, the happier I am that I passed.

Anonymous said...

I don't think they're too sticky for highlighting the face, actually I think it would look lovely. Just depends upon skin type - Obviously too much if you're very oily but not if you have dry skin and want a dewy look for nights out.

The 'white part' of the Shade and Illuminate imparts almost no sheen. I mean, I'm conservative with my makeup, but I do want the dang thing to show up!

Behindthepillar said...

Pass for me too. Leaving aside the consistency and pigment, am I the only one who doesn't care for the rounded top of the product? I love my lip product to have that elegant curve on one side and slice on the other - especially with TF engraved into the slice!
Susan, London

Meredith said...

I guess I'm out in left field with this one. I love Solar Gold. I'm middle aged and do not want to look like I'm in Las Vegas. I am so glad that Solar Gold is sheer, subtle, with just a bit of sparkle. We are celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary on Maui right now and my Solar Gold is just right for a little pizazz on the beach. I have a gold gloss from Guerlain which is lovely and just right for applying over lipstick for a more noticeable look, but I must say that I am very pleased with this soft subtle and very classy IMO version of gold.

Kiss & Make-up said...

I just got my first Tom Ford lipstick (the Lip Color Sheer lipstick) and I quite like it! This looks very sheer and shimmery though. I prefer a little more color and a little less sparkle :-)