Sunday, August 17, 2014

Bite Beauty Agave Lip Mask in Champagne

I blame the darling Sabrina at The Beauty Look Book. I had absolutely no intention of purchasing Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Mask in Champagne ($26). Unfortunately, her feature intrigued me, leaving me no option but to order it. Her pictures were fabulous, as always, and it looked like something I would appreciate. I love masks of all types, but there are few good ones for the lips.

The color is not as exciting on me as it is on Sabrina. Once I apply it to my lips, I'm left with a clear champagne gloss that loses the peachy oomph that you can see in the unblended shade. I took my photos in full, lunchtime sun as I waited not-so-patiently for the sun and clouds to do their daily dance.

The photo directly above shows the Champagne color as it "dots" out of the tube, with the blended shade above. As you can see, that lovely color disappears into an almost-clear champagne shade when blended - or when you smack your lips. I wouldn't purchase this product for the color unless you are short on champagne glosses.

I did a finger swatch because your finger pads are closer to the pigment of your lips than your inner arm. This is how the Lip Mask looks on my lips. It does have a very sheer peachy hue if you look hard.

How does it feel on the lips? Thick, very thick. Is it protecting them? Said to instantly soothe and soften the lips, this "delicious" leave-on lip mask contains a bio-active blend of healing antioxidants, including organic agave nectar, jojoba, and 15 mg of the antioxidant resveratrol (good stuff). Used over time, I expect it would have a therapeutic effect on the lips. I won't be using it long enough to find out.

The problem I have with it is that I would never use it during the night - the time when I'm most amenable to wearing masks. It is so thick and goopy it would come off of my lips and leave sticky lip prints all over my silk pillowcase - way too messy for my tastes. I sleep on my side. If I were a back sleeper, I wouldn't have that problem.

Because it's thick, it clings to the lips during the day, offering a nearly sheer shine. I look better with a little color. Had it had some lasting color, I might be more impressed - and more likely to use it.

It has a disagreeable taste that dissipates pretty quickly, so it's basically a sheer, thick, lip gloss (packed with ingredients that are good for your lips). That's not enough to entice me.

Sabrina was thoroughly honest in her review. I chose to focus on the attractive features as I rushed off to order this product. Had I read more carefully, I would have passed. Given the price, I've lost only a great lunch.

There you have it. We offer two opinions with many similarities on the same product. Mine is more critical. I'll keep Bite Beauty's Agave Lip Mask in "storage," though. I might be more impressed in the winter when my lips feel chapped all the time.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Alix said...

Hi. Discovered your blog a couple months ago and really like it. Re: the Agave Lip Mask, can't you just return it?

Anonymous said...

Fran Says: It's main ingredient is Pharma Grade Lanolin. I'm currently using a product we have here in Australia called Lanolips which is 100% of that and the only thing that will quench my chronically dry lips during our winter and yes my pillow slips look terrible but I'd rather that then cracked bleeding lips. This is more of a slather on when you're at home during the day type of product.

Charlestongirl said...

I could, Alix, but they didn't force me to buy it. I am not much of a returner.

plegalmom said...

I might add this to my "favorites" and try it this winter. As for returns, I agree with you, CG; I can't bring myself to return an item just because I chose poorly, or purchased on a whim

rougelala said...

I tried this lip mask and it didn't work for me either. My lips started to tingle and get cold. It was way too heavy and suffocating (if that makes any sense)
Love your blog!! Mia :)

iluvmidge2 said...

I ordinarily use Jack Black Lip Balm or Fresh Sugar Balm, but this did intrigue me... too bad it sounds like a letdown. I guess I can put that $ towards other beauty treats :)

Kiki said...

I purchased the un-tinted Bite beauty lip mask and loved slathering it on my lips before bed. I would always wake up with my lips so hydrated! I hated the champagne version, however. it was way too frosty on me and seemed almost stickier than the original. the product proved to be pretty impossible to wear out of the house (imagine constantly having to pull your hair out of it! yuck!) i'm trying to use it up by wearing it before bed when i'm on the computer or doing chores

Tatiana said...

I have the original Bite agave lip mask. I don't find it too sticky or to have a disagreeable taste. In fact, I think it's rather sweet. I use it two different times during the day. In the mornings after I come back from my run, I slather it on and take a shower. If I forget before I shower, I put it on immediately upon getting out of the shower and leave it on while I dry off, dress and do the rest of my skincare routine. Then I blot and apply my lip color. In the evenings, I put it on immediately after dinner and I find I don't really have to blot before I go to sleep.

Jessa said...

I've never tried the Champagne version, but I use the original one every night and love it to pieces! I'm a stomach- and occasionally side-sleeper, and never find that the mask winds up all over my pillowcase. I put it on before I go to sleep and wake up in the morning still able to feel some of it, and with nice soft lips. It was the only treatment I tried that kept my lips feeling good through the awful NYC winter we had last year!