Saturday, August 2, 2014

Chantecaille 15 Year Anniversary Eye Shade Trio

In celebration of this milestone year, Chantecaille unveils the limited-edition 15 Year Anniversary Eye Shade Trio ($68) – a striking, yet natural, eye palette inspired by animals from the land, sea, and air. Embodying Chantecaille’s commitment to the environment, this limited-edition, philanthropic palette revisits the causes that have remained closest to the Chantecailles’ hearts throughout the years and are still urgent today.

Known as Africa’s gardeners, for the role they play in clearing new paths and dispersing seeds, elephants are being killed for their ivory at the worst levels since the 1980s. With an estimated 38,000 elephants killed annually for their tusks, they are under grave threat - at a rate that, left unchanged, would see elephants wiped out by 2025. Making a vast desert of the land they travel across, increased use of pesticides is also killing the many wild plants key to sustaining their migration.

At risk of disappearing, the monarch migration is the most spectacular two-way migration carried out by an insect. Now on the endangered species list, the monarch butterfly’s fragile ecosystem has been disrupted in recent years. As a result of changing agricultural practices and deforestation, the population of hibernating monarchs was down by 95% in 2013, an all-time low.

Struggling for survival, sea turtles are among the most migratory of all creatures. Traveling for tens of thousands of miles, encountering waste, garbage, and huge drift nets, they give us an accurate reading on the health of our oceans. Persistent over-exploitation and the widespread collection of eggs are largely responsible for their depleted status. Resulting in deaths of tens to thousands of turtles annually, they are also captured in active or abandoned fishing gear. In the midst of danger for years, unfortunately many have been lost due to our lack of action.

The alarming rate of disappearance of these species is extremely critical in 2014. With this palette, Chantecaille continues to focus its efforts on making the situation known with hopes that knowledge will bring solutions. On the horizon we already see action that will change theses problems drastically and help save these highly endangered species.

Proceeds from each Anniversary Trio sold will be proudly donated to The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust, Monarch Butterfly Fund, and WIDECAST to help protect our endangered elephants, butterflies, and sea turtles respectively.

Housed in a refillable collector’s edition gunmetal palette, decorated with Sylvie Chantecaille’s signature, the trio embodies the iconic Chantecaille woman. Effortlessly complimenting the Fall 2014 runway trends, each sophisticated shade symbolizes an endangered species that still urgently needs our help.

Elephant at the left in the palette is a deep, earthy aubergine that can be applied wet or dry to the crease or lash line. Butterfly (middle), a warm buttery vanilla, can be used to smooth and highlight the eyelid or brow bone. Sea Turtle at right is a delicate copper infused with light-reflecting rose gold pearl.

Cruelty-free, paraben-free, lanonin-free, petrochemical-free, fragrance-free, and without any animal or mineral derivatives, the 15 Year Anniversary Eye Shade Trio is a perfect palette to purchase to support our natural environment.

I was able to get swatch photos this morning when we had a temporary break in the clouds. I swatched with a sponge-tipped applicator, starting with the Elephant shade and moving down my arm. I took my photos in "almost-full" sunshine.

The Elephant shade left me deliriously happy. I was afraid from photos that it would be too aubergine, too eggplant. It's not. It's a gorgeous brown with an aubergine undertone that makes it unique.

The vanilla Butterfly shade in the middle on my arm is hard to see because it's the color of my skin. It's a lovely base shade, and I know I will use it often.

The gorgeous Sea Turtle is a hybrid between copper and rose gold - a shade you won't see often. I went from delirious to seeing stars when I tried it. I can see myself using the Butterfly and Sea Turtle shades every day as I head off to work.

Chantecaille could not have created a more perfect trio of eye shades for its anniversary - and a philanthropic endeavor. I was not kidding the other day when I said I needed four. At $68, it's affordable, is refillable, and it comes with a very nice, cruelty-free eye shadow brush. In reality, I'll probably buy only three. Because it's limited, and because I know I will wear it often, I won't want to run out - ever.

It is available now at Chantecaille's Web site, where I purchased my first. You'll find it in August (no later than September) at Barneys New York, Bergdorf Goodman, Frédéric Fekkai Salons, Neiman
Marcus, Space NK, select Bloomingdale’s, Saks Fifth Avenue, and Nordstrom locations. Neiman Marcus tells me it has already shipped to them, and they hope to have it next week.

Photos courtesy of Chantecaille and by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Behindthepillar said...

15 years - it seems like only yesterday that Chantecaille was the exciting new kid on the the block! It looks like a lovely and very wearable palette - I love the elephant shade and so appropriate for its inspiration. Look forward to this one hitting the UK stores. I was rather disappointed with this year's Spring palette - the bees looked so pretty but the consistency of the eye shades, particularly the pale blue, was unimpressive for the price point. These look much smoother in your swatches.

Anonymous said...

It's really very pretty, but $68 is not 'affordable' for most women. Just my $.02.

Eileen said...

Autumn perfection! And with a warm berry lip and delicate cheek, it couldn't get any better :-) I can hardly wait until mine arrives.

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous,

Affordability is always relative, but for women who purchase Chantecaille, this palette is definitely one of the more affordable ones. Commemorative conservation palettes are typically $80-$83. Also, if you were to buy the refillable case with brush ($42) and then three eyeshadow refills ($75), you'd be spending $117. So, yeah, this anniversary palette is "affordable".

Unknown said...

I can't wait to get mine. I assumed I would've had the colors in previous palettes but NO! This is perfection. Thanks for the swatches- I honestly would've passed if it weren't for your review

LilyBiscuit said...

It's really beautiful. Hopefully I can get one too :)

wendy said...

hi charleston girl!! looking at the chantecaille website now, the new blush is sold out. and, i just see the mulberry lipgloss. could you please tell me if there are any other lipcolors with the anniversary collection? i'm assuming they're repromotes. thanky!! xo.

Charlestongirl said...

Wendy, never fear. It has been shipped to stores. Call one and get on the waiting list.

Yes, there is another lip color: Fairy Moss Hydra Chic. I will put up the rest of the press release tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Hi CG, hope you are having a great weekend! Curious to know what you think of the texture and pigmentation compared to the new Chanel and cle de peau eyeshadow quads? Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous,
I prefer the Chantecaille and Chanel to the CdP. I think the Chanel is the most pigmented, but not by much.

Sara said...

Thamk you for the swatches! I ordered mine from Nordstrom today, it should be shipped on the 8th. Are you really ordering three palettes? I can't imagine finishing one palette in its entirety given the amount of makeup I "hoard!" -Sara

Mamavalveeta03 said...

This is the one that's going to push me over the "price hump" to buy. Yes, it's still pricey for most women, but I love that it "does good, while making my eyes pretty"!
Beautiful swatches, CG. I agree that those gave me the confidence to purchase. And I love the quality of their lipgloss, so that may happen, too!

Marina @ Cosmetics & Crumbs said...

This looks truly stunning! Thank you so much for the swatches! I absolutely love Sea Turtle. Rose golds and coppers are my favorite! Do you know a dupe for it or should I splurge for the palette?

Unknown said...

Hello CG! Mine arrived yesterday and I wore the shades to a Board Dinner last eveing. At first, I was dismayed by the textures but as I began blending out the shades, they were lovely.
Good post here and you actually show how true to color these lovely shades are with your swatches. Your descriptions of shade are spot on IMO.

Have a beautiful Sunday!

LSBD said...

Wow! What an amazing palette. The colors look beautiful and I love the idea that when I purchase these palettes, the money goes to help save these incredible animals.

I think these make fabulous gifts too. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous 1:47,

Affordability always equates to one's situation and life choices. If I were still in graduate school, I couldn't afford the $68. As a working woman, I can. Chantecaille, as a department store brand, is affordable. That doesn't mean it's right for a single mother who is struggling to raise three kids after her dirtbag husband ran off with another woman. Our circumstances are all different.

I pretty much gag at the Tom Ford prices, but I pay them, but there are other brands I will not buy. I would rather be able to eat if I live to 85.

We must all make choices on our priorities, based on our personal situations. I respect your disagreement. However, if you can eek out a luxury or two now and then, you might find it lifts your spirits?

Trish said...

You do not have to post this but I want you to know that you have impeccable taste .i

Anonymous said...

Love my palette that I got from Nordstrom a week ago! Beautiful !

Gigi48 said...

Love this palette, especially the elephant shade. Quality large brush too. I'm going to buy a few pop in shades and make this my travel shadow case. So glad I bought this. Good product. Great cause.

Anonymous said...

Hi there, love your blog and as a fellow Chantecaille fan, you are my "go to" gal for swatches and reviews! I am cool toned with blue eyes. Do you think the anniversary eye trio would flatter me, or be too warm? Many thanks and keep up the great work!