Friday, August 8, 2014

The Friday Forum - August 8

I always delight in the colors of August. With the crepe myrtles blooming, along with hydrangeas like the one above in my backyard, it's beautiful here.

WWD has published the top 100 beauty company list, as they always do this time of year. What's most interesting about it is "who owns whom."Did you know that the world's largest beauty company, L'Oreal, owns Urban Decay? Did you know that Procter & Gamble owns Dolce & Gabbana fragrance and makeup? I guess I'm a beauty geek because I find the relationships interesting.

This fall, there will be another celebrity color line hitting the market. Brooke Shields is collaborating with M·A·C to create new color palettes (and other items). The palettes are large and were designed to offer a full complement of shades and finishes. I saw a photo and was not terribly impressed. I'll withhold judgement until I can see the real thing.

I'm very excited that Natura Bissé will be introducing products for younger women. Aiming for the 30+ age group, "Essential Shock" is a collection that would interest a younger demographic interested in offsetting premature aging. Of course, the collection will appeal to any age group that wants to purchase top-notch anti-aging treatment. It will be available in August. The company also plans to extend its Diamond range with the Diamond Life Infusion Retinol Eye Serum in October, which is targeted toward an older consumer. The forthcoming Diamond Life Infusion Retinol Eye Serum is designed to build collagen, elastin, and hyaluronic acid, lift the eyelid, and reduce capillary leakage and under-eye shadows. I'm curious about adding retinol to an eye product. That will be a "wait and see" for me. I just don't know how my eyes might react to retinol.

Here's your "Can you believe it?" for the week. In September, Sephora will launch a new initiative called Store to Door. If a customer wants to purchase a makeup shade or product that’s not available or they don’t want to carry their bag home (seriously?), a Sephora associate will place the customer’s order via iPod Touch and it will be delivered to their home in three days or less for free. What do you think about this hybrid in-store/online service?

It's time for our weekend sharing, the Friday Forum. I love this part of our week. What new products did you discover this week? We have all seen the upcoming Tom Ford collection, so I think we can skip that this week. Did you find any deals you couldn't resist? Are you using a fabulous product and want to sing its praises? Did you find a beauty product disappointing? Do you have a question others might be able to answer? Want to talk about skin care? What's new in your life? Just use the comments. Don't be shy. Just make sure to ask any question you might have over the weekend. By early the next week, most (not all) readers will have moved on.

Happy weekend!

Photo by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Nemo said...

I'm always amazed--and disturbed--by Brooke Shields. For a fairly youngish woman, she has aged immensely. She looks much older than she is. I don't buy MAC anyway, but she would be a turn-off for me if I did.

ame said...

Ok the Store to Door thing would be great for times when I am travelling and buy something I can't get in my local stores that I don't want to figure out the packing arrangements to get home. Like, liquids or whatever. I've done that a few times with Nordstrom purchases for lines or items I cannot buy in my local locations.

Eileen said...

Actually, Sephora's new service--while unusual for a specialty store--has been offered by some department stores like Nordstrom for a long time. Shopping in-store but want something shipped to your home? No problem. Item not available in-store? No problem. And, of course, shipping is free. You can do the reverse as well--purchase online and pick up in-store. It's a nice convenience that doesn't cost much and assures the particular store of keeping a sale rather than having a customer drift off to the competition.

I made a few beauty purchases this week. I drove to Topanga Mall where I had the opportunity to play with the new Clé de Peau quads. It was instant love! I've always considered CdP's quads to be amongst the very best and the new collection did not disappoint. The new creamy texture and the selection of luminous, satin to soft shimmer finishes is simply superlative. I bought Baby Universe and Satin Moon. I stuck with neutral selections as I had already purchased the beautiful color iterations by Chanel. I've worn both my CdP quads now (without a primer) and am thoroughly impressed with the lack of fallout, ease of blending, color true pigmentation, and lack of fading or creasing. The new Celestial quads are stellar ;-)

I received my lovely Chantecaille Anniversary palette and, as much as I adore the color scheme, I think its formula pales in comparison to CdP's or Chanel's for that matter. It's a great palette and I am very happy to have it, but I think it is time for Chantecaille to think about an upgrade; especially since there have been some major advancements in eyeshadow formulation this year.

While at Topanga, I also stopped by the Chantecaille counter to pick up a new tube of Amour which is a good, basic, MLBB color on me. It's one of those toss in the purse, goes with anything types of colors. While there, I was completely taken by that gorgeous ode to autumn---Mulberry! It's even prettier in person than you can imagine. The rose in my lips shows through and gives the gloss depth and dimension. It's a luscious berry shade and I simply had to have it :-)

Now, the last thing on my to check list is the color collection by he who shall remain nameless. See, Charlestongirl, I can write a comment without mentioning--oops! I almost said Tom Ford! LOL

Have a great weekend, everyone.

bisbee said...

Eileen, I ordered the Mulberry gloss from the Chantecaille site. I agree with you - it's beautiful...I'm glad I have it!

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Dear Eileen, I always think about you as we shop for makeup in same places:))). I picked up CdP eyeshadows as well at Topanga Nordstrom in #305 and 306 and strongly considering #303. They also put on hold for me Chantecaille anniversary palette, which now after your comment I am not sure if I should consider anymore, as I got enough neutrals from CdP already and still curious about TF nude dip as well eyeshadow quad for fall. Oh, well...we shall see. Natura Bisse eye cream with retinol sounds really interesting.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Brooke Shields isn't yet 50 and I think she looks great! I don't care for MAC, but I would like to see what a working celebrity and mom puts together. I am hoping to see "he who shall not be named" new concealers tomorrow...Also, I apologize for posting as an "Anonymous" but something has changed with the Google Account sign in and it only posts with my real full name and not just my first name, which is how it is set. Very frustrating!

Jo said...

This week I am loving my new By Terry Rosy Babe lip balm. It makes my lips super soft and hydrated. The perfect antidote to my perimenopausal dry lips.

Speaking of he who shall not be named I am dying over his new wallet on Neiman's website. Now where did I put that spare $500?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, try overwriting what Google wants to do with your name by selecting Name/URL and typing in your first name. No URL is needed. See if that works.

Y'all are a riot. I'll name him. I want that Tom Ford palette. I assume it hasn't hit the counters, but I haven't been in a store in nearly a month! Hope to remedy that this weekend.

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, $500? Darn, that is a pricey wallet!

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, $500? Darn, that is a pricey wallet!

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous@9:47,

If you use Google Blogger, follow the trail: Profile, Edit, Identity, and finally Display Name. You should be able to easily fix your problem. You don't have to have a blog to use Blogger :-)

You can see the preview of the Brook Shields MAC collection on Temptalia. Christine posted a picture yesterday. It's a warm and pretty collection. Unfortunately, MAC and I don't get along very well, but I can still admire it. I think you're right about it being aimed at the busy working mom who also wants a bit of no fuss glamour in her life.