Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Guerlain Terracotta Pause d'Été Bronzing Powder Duo for Summer 2016

Today, we turn from one of my very favorite cosmetics companies (Chanel) to another: Guerlain. The Guerlain Summer 2016 Collection is superb.

The gorgeous, limited-edition Terracotta Pause d'Été Bronzing Powder Duo ($82) is a collector's piece. Guerlain Terracotta powder, the reference standard in bronzing powders, is currently available in a limited edition, Terracotta Pause d'Eté. The luxurious, environmentally sound wooden packaging (using wood from PEFC-approved sustainably managed forests) contains a wide mirror in the top and a "two-tone powder block": the combination of the best-selling Terracotta shade #03, which naturally warms all complexions, and the "it color" for summer, pink with a slight gold shimmer, to illuminate the skin with a tan radiance.

The colors can either be blended together to warm the complexion and enhance the natural beauty of summer skin or applied separately to achieve your desired bronze intensity. On the skin, the shades meld together to form an adjustable silky veil - so fine that the result is impeccable and remains so all day long.

I took my photo of the palette, showing a snippet of the magnetic cover (which one unscrews after the magnets "find their mates") in full, mid-day sunshine. As you can see, the color portrayed by Guerlain on its Web site is spot on. This is the kind of palette that I want to wear, but also put in my makeup museum. It's gorgeous. I think I need two!

In order to swatch the multi-colored palette, I used a sponge-tipped applicator and made sure to run it over all shades - there are really three of them. My photo directly below was taken with my arm aimed directly at the sun. You can see the direct light in my swatch.

I think this color, when applied directly with a bronzing or powder brush is exquisite. Although it's intended to be used on both the face and décolleté, I've only used it on my face to date. I applied it where the sun would naturally beam, which made me beam. The rose in the shade makes the blended shade beautiful on my fair skin. I'm sure it will be flattering on everyone.


The photo directly above shows the swatch with a little less direct sun. I turned my arm to get more swatch, less sunshine. Either way, I am stunned by the blended color. If I had to describe the blended color using familiar words, I'd call it a rose-leaning copper. You can apply it with more rose and less bronze if you choose.

You don't have to blend the shades; you can use them individually - even the gold roping can be used (with a small brush) as a highlighter. This is a versatile bronzing powder palette, and I think you will love it as much as I do. In my opinion, it's a must-have.

I purchased my Terracotta Pause d'Été Bronzing Powder Duo at Neiman Marcus. All Guerlain counters should have it, and I see that it's widely available from retailers who sell Guerlain in store and online.

I'll show you my other purchases from Guerlain's Summer 2016 Collection in the coming days. Every piece is a treasure.

Photos at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

4 comments:

Christina said...

Oh CG, all your recent purchases are making me drool! I am having such hard time narrowing down what I want to buy. Do I want Guerlain more? Chanel? The whole collection? Yikes! My wallet is suffering!

kimmiegc said...

Hello! This is beautiful! Is the gold an overspray? Thanks, Kim

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Kim,

Not an overspray, but I think it's an overlay, meaning a thick braid or rope sitting on top of the other color. I believe it will last quite awhile, but not forever.

It's so pretty, I can't destroy mine to cut into it to prove that. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Christina,

I feel your pain.