Friday, October 21, 2011

NARS Ponderosa Cream Eyeshadow for Holiday 2011

When I first saw the new NARS Holiday Color Collection for 2011, Ponderosa Cream Eyeshadow ($23) jumped into my cart. Described as mink in color, the dark brown looked enticing, and I love cream eye shadows.

Vivid. Lightweight. Easily blendable. Apply lightly for a subtle wash of color or layer to achieve deeper intensity. Can be worn alone or paired with a NARS powder eyeshadow for longer-lasting wear and added dimension.

When NARS introduced its own Smude Proof Eyeshadow Base, I found the secret to wearing the lovely NARS cream shadow shades. With "NARS on NARS," they stay in place and don't crease. I was looking forward to receiving my order. Isn't this NARS swatch at left pretty? The pretty brown even appears to have a violet cast. Would you have been tempted by that photo?

Ponderosa arrived, and in the compact it appeared to be the color I had anticipated. It turns out that it's even more interesting on my skin than I had expected. Ponderosa is a hybrid between brown and grey, with just a dab of violet thrown into the mix. It's stunning!

At first glance when I started swatching, I was surprised. There is far more grey than brown in Ponderosa - on my skin. I applied it with a foundation brush at the top of my arm and more lightly with my finger below. My photos were taken in full sun. What's your first impression? Do you see brown or grey at left?

I think you'll say grey. It's only when I enlarged my photos and studied them that I could see the complexity of the shade, showing off its taupe-brown hue, and displaying that violet I was sure I had seen. Just click on the image at right to enlarge it.

The shade is very sheer and offers buildable coverage. That flexibility is especially nice with such a complex color.

I'm happy. I'm happier with Ponderosa than I would have been if it were a traditional dark brown. I won't even try to put a name on the shade. I'm sure I could grab a Pantone color chart and find something similar, but for what purpose? I'm sure a picture is worth more than the words I might use.

I purchased from NARS online. I haven't seen the new NARS Holiday 2011 Collection at NARS counters yet, but the new items are available at Sephora. I'm still eying Miss Liberty.

Photos at top courtesy of NARS; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

6 comments:

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I think this color is gorgeous! I see more grey than brown,and a touch of violet (certainly in their photo). Still, looks like it sheers out nicely. I'd have to wear this with the lid primer so it wouldn't crease, though.

Charlestongirl said...

MamaVal, that primer may be one of NARS greatest inventions. I had never found a primer before that would hold the NARS cream shadows. I loved the colors, but seldom wore them because of the migration. Obviously, they tested their own products in the primer's development - to great results.

Thanks for validating to me that my eyes weren't off kilter.

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

yummy! all of my favorite things- taupe and brown and silvery grey , plummy yumminess. and the name just rolls off the tongue (wink wink)
was at the NARS counter at Nordies today- no holiday 2011 in sight :(
they have promised to call.

Charlestongirl said...

LSBD, NARS had free shipping last time I checked. Just in case you can't wait. :)

Joey said...

Ok, you just gave me inspiration for today's experiment: try my NARS cream shadows (which I don't use on my eyes!) with the NARS primer.

If it works, this little baby will be mine!

Charlestongirl said...

It's funny, Joey, but I thought about you when I played with this fragrance. I think it's a Joey kind of color. You MUST wear NARS primer, though. Otherwise, the color will slide off almost entirely - and I don't usually have trouble keeping color on my face!