Thursday, May 15, 2014

Aerin Rose Balm Lipstick in Pretty

Aerin Lauder offers a collection of 10 luxurious, creamy lipsticks with medium coverage. They are called Rose Balm Lipstick ($30). I purchased a shade called Pretty, a beautiful warm pink.

A collection of 10 effortless, universally-flattering shades, specially curated by Aerin. Featuring a luxe balm texture, medium coverage, and a shine finish, they help protect lips the way a flower protects its delicate petals, with a natural wax that helps seal in moisture.

I have said before that Aerin's Color Essentials have not excited me. They are exactly as described: essentials. Having more than my share of essentials has made me a little jaded, but I decided to give Aerin's Rose Balm Lipsticks a chance, selecting Pretty because it looked pretty online. Indeed, it is perfectly named. I'm wearing it now with my gorgeous new YSL green palette on my eyelids, and I think I look amazingly good with the perfect contrast of pink and green.

The Rose Balm Lipsticks do offer coverage. Fortunately, it's a medium intensity, as described, so I don't feel like my lips are coated with severe color. I like the finish with its very subtle sheen.

I took swatch photos of Pretty in full sun (although it was about to exit the scene for rain clouds). I applied it directly from the tube. The swatch application was analogous to a regular application on my lips.

Pretty looks the same on my lips as it looks on my arm. The warm pink color has a subtle shine that is enhanced by bright light. It feels great on my lips - moist and creamy.

I took this second photo in front of a blooming honeysuckle shrub with an indirect angle to the sun. While the honeysuckle blossoms are starting to yellow, they still offer a beautiful fragrance. It was nice hanging out there for a few minutes.

Aerin's Rose Balm Lipstick offers what I think is the perfect level of intensity. Any more, and I would perceive too much coverage. I'm a sheer lips kind of gal, but I still like Rose Balm Lipstick. I think I may pick up a few more shades the next time I go to a counter. I blind-ordered Pretty from the Estée Lauder Web site. It turned out to be a great color. Why tempt the fates, though, with Aerin's line so accessible at department stores. I'll go play with the other shades before I select new colors.

Photo at top courtesy of Estée Lauder; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

8 comments:

Resham said...

the shade is as pretty as the name!

matildaben said...

I'm pale and cool-toned and I really like Liebling and Geranium. I've been wavering on Pretty because I'm afraid it might be too warm.

LoriM said...

I have this lipstick in Geranium, the perfect color for me. I'm considering buying a backup!

Claire said...

Pretty is really pretty, indeed! I've been a fan of Aerin lipsticks in the past but now no more: the wax goes rancid really quickly (in fact, the tester that I tried at Nordstrom has gone rancid!). I don't know if it is because it is continually exposed to the air or what. Maybe we can take better care of the lipsticks at home, but I'm now more cautious with it. Just a fair warning..

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Absolutely the perfect shade of rose! Is it petty that I don't feel like making AERIN Lauder any more rich than she already is?!? Yes. I thought so.

Anonymous said...

Do the Aerin lipsticks have the same fig smell as most Estee Lauder ones? I absolutely cannot stand that smell.
Vicki

Claire said...

Hi Anonymous, no Aerin lipsticks smells like rose. In fact, v. pleasant rose, not at all artificial. I hope this helps some.

Charlestongirl said...

Vicki, the lipstick has a slight rose smell. No fig!