Monday, May 19, 2014

YSL New Souffle Éclat Sheer and Radiant Loose Powder

It's hard for me to get excited about face powder. There are so many good ones, and most serve their purpose to mattify the skin, set makeup, or add a glow. When Pamela Morgan (National Makeup Artist) introduced me to YSL's new Souffle Éclat ($60), she basically admitted the same. Then she told me that she calls Souffle Éclat a miracle blurring powder and loves it.

I was intrigued by the image of blurring. Any powder that could blur the imperfections on my face and leave me looking just a little bit better was magic to my ears - and eyes. Pam proved it to me with an application to my hand.

From the first application, skin’s beauty is highlighted in a luminous veil that ensures a fresh feeling throughout the day. Micro Mother of Pearl particles enhance complexion’s natural radiance, while the airy powder hugs the skin and sets and perfects make-up, delivering a reliably flawless finish. For all skin types, even sensitive and dry skin.

Souffle Éclat is available in four shades. Pam selected Shade 01 for me. It is a light pink to the eye, but applies to my skin as transparent. It's perfect. It's a loose powder, as you can see. Just take off the plastic covering, put on the cap, shake, and a perfect application moves through the tiny openings and is ready to be picked up by your powder brush.

I took swatch photos in full sun. You will think I'm absolutely crazy. Anyone who tries to take a swatch photo of a finishing powder is; but you know me - I'll try anything, even with results that are nearly invisible.

Can you see the powder on my arm? If you can, you have amazing vision. It disappears into my skin because it's a perfect shade for me. Can you see that it blurs my veins at the top of the application? If you can, you have great eyes. The fact is that this powder does have a blurring effect - one that is kind to the skin, like candlelight.

No sparkles, no razzmatazz, just a powder that is lightweight and really has a blurring effect! I was impressed enough to purchase it. That's saying something for a face powder - a product I can often resist. There is enough powder in this jar to last me for life - at least my life.

Shade 01 is only one of four shades. You should check out them all at the YSL counter and select the one that's best for your skin tone. If you don't see the blurring effect, I'll be surprised.

Souffle Éclat is available at YSL counters. I purchased mine at Neiman Marcus. It's also available online. One source is YSL's Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of YSL; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

13 comments:

Jo said...

This looks like good stuff CG. Would you say it is a mattifying powder or one that gives a glow. Thanks for the review. I'm going to check these out.

Charlestongirl said...

Jo, it mattifies a bit and adds a bit of radiance. Hard to figure. Try it!

Eileen said...

I bought this in 01 on Friday and on Sunday I went back for 02. Not because I had the wrong color or anything like that, but because, after trying this excellent powder, I wanted both the classic fair option (01) and one with warmth (02) to give me a bit of summer sun without being obvious. This powder is really extraordinary in that it has a soft, glowing, matte finish that can be buffed in strategic places like the cheek bones to produce a highlight effect. Awesome, simply awesome! When lightly swept on the face, the powder produces a subtle luminescence and you'll find yourself wondering how a powder manages to be matte but glow at the same time. Suffice it to say, it does. If you pour a tiny bit into the palm of your hand and buff it, you'll see the beautiful pearl lustre in all it's glory. It's that nacre incorporated into a finely milled matte powder that gives Soufflé D'Éclat its special beauty. Not everyone will need or want different shades but I am a bonafide finishing powder addict and so I'm always trying new ones. Soufflé D'Éclat is everything YSL says it is. It's a remarkable powder that blows the new iteration of Météorites out of the water.

Anonymous said...

This looks like such a promising product for my sensitive rosacea skin. Is this product scented? Thank you for answering my question.

Eileen said...

Hi Anonymous,

According to the ingredient list on the box, there is no added fragrance :-)

I have mild rosacea on my cheeks and haven't had any problem so far with this powder. Soufflé D'Éclat creates a lovely finish and so I hope you can wear it without any irritation.

LilJeJa said...

How would you compare it to Meteorites perles? I love using them all over because they have this amazing bluring effect too. I have been eyeing this YSL powder for a while to wear on top of YSL touche eclat foundation

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks for answering that, Eileen. Sometimes I have do time while at work to "do comments." :)

Charlestongirl said...

LilJeJa, I find our beloved Guerlain powder to be a bit more sparkly and radiating than this YSL powder.

Most powders offer "some" blurring effect, but I see more from YSL's new one.

Chateepatee said...

Hi CG- hmmm, I'm not a powder person at all- but you may have just dangled the proverbial carrot!
It does appear to do what they promise- I notice a difference on your arm.
I'll be checking this out at the counter as it appears the shades need to be matched visually to ones skin. Thanks for the post CG. Best Regards to your Mom.

Meredith said...

This looks like a winner. Can't wait to get to the counter and select one. I find it difficult to come across a good powder for my, ahem, middle aged skin. Hope this is the one.

Eileen said...

Hi LilJeJa,

YSL's Soufflé D'Éclat looks velvety and scatters the light in such a way that imperfections are blurred without adding any visible shimmer. Météorites, on the other hand, are famous for imparting a beautiful crystalline finish. They both make the complexion look more smooth, even, and luminous but they do it via totally different finishes. Which one suits you is just a matter of personal preference. Me? I like options and so I have both. Think of YSL as a pearl and Météorites as a diamond; YSL glows whereas Météorites shine ;-)

Jo said...

I stopped by Nordstrom tonight and picked this up in 02. Love, love love it! Just what I was looking for. Erases shine and leaves a glow. This pot will last forever! Also picked up the new Chanel Les Beiges in 01 and love that as well. It leaves a nice peachy/bronzy glow and brightens my blue eyes. The 02 was too dark for my fair skin.

Anonymous said...

How does the powder perform in flash photography? I need a good powder for an event I'm going to soon and I heard a lot of good things about this one :)