Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Bobbi Brown Powder Pearl Eye Trio Plus Creamy Matte Lip Color Preview

I saw Bobbi Brown's new limited-edition Powder Pearl Eye Trio ($46) at Neiman Marcus Mazza Gallerie, tested it at the counter, and purchased it without hesitation. No blind-buying with this "On-the-Go Gorgeous" set designed to make you sparkle.

Standout eyes are as easy as one, two, three with this trio of pearly eye powders. Easy to apply and blend, each shadow boasts 95% pure pearl pigments and rich sparkle to create a subtle wash of shimmer or a burst of ultra-intense color (depending on how you apply it). With crease-free wear and flake-proof color, you'll be tempted to gift one to yourself.

The box is so pretty, I can understand why Bobbi Brown is suggesting its use as a holiday gift. I would have a hard time giving away these little eye shadows.

My photo directly above shows Moonlight at left. It's described as a shimmering purple pink, which sounds horrid, but is nowhere close to the shade. You'll see that in the swatches. The shade shown in the middle is called Pink Pearl, but is described as a shimmering golden peach. Go figure. Black Pearl, a warm grey, is shown at right.

Each tube contains a powder that you apply with its own applicator. I will warn you that you should hold the tube upright when you remove the applicator wand. I didn't when playing with one, and some of the pigment spilled out on my clothing. I was in old clothes, so it didn't matter. You wouldn't want that to happen if you were wearing a party dress.

Forget Bobbi Brown's descriptions as you look at the swatch photos. As you can see, I took them in full sun. I applied each shadow with its own sponge-tipped applicator, which helps the pigment adhere to the skin.

Moonlight is taupe through and through. Taupe can have some lavender in it, but Moonlight is not the type of color that might make your eyes look red. The shade is gorgeous.  Pink Pearl, which should have been named Champagne Pearl, is also stunning. As you can see, it also also has a teeny tiny hint of lavender or pink in it, but the shade is essentially a silvery beige. Black Pearl is the easiest shade to characterize. It's a nice medium grey with plenty of shimmer.

When I saw these online, I had worried that they might be little glitter bombs. They aren't. The shimmer is brilliant - wearable, but not overwhelming, perfect for evening wear.

I love this little set and hope Bobbi Brown decides to make it part of her regular line, with more colors. Her latest innovation is a treasure.

You can purchase the Powder Pearl Eye Trio at Bobbi Brown's Web site and Bobbi Brown counters everywhere. Take a look!

While you are at the counter, check out Bobbi's new Creamy Matte Lip Color. There are 12 intense shades. These new lip colors aren't "me." I tried them and found them too matte and too opaque for my taste. However, intense lip colors are all the rage this season. You may like them.

Creamy Matte Lip Colors are formulated with an exceptionally high pigment load for intense color payoff in a single application. Traditionally, the more pigment that exists within a matte formula, the drier it tends to be. These lip colors are formulated with special emollients and soft waxes that form a conditioning barrier to lock in moisture. Bobbi says they offer long wear - up to eight hours.

The new Creamy Matte Lip Colors are at counters now. I'd recommend you try before you buy.

Photo at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

From some of your posts, I get the sense youre in a rut. Girl, dont be afraid to step out of your comfort zone! We all get comfortable and need a push to try new things.

Try a bold matte lip and keep the skin glowing. Its only make-up - it comes off!

Charlestongirl said...

Oh Anonymous, I don't think knowing what looks good on me and what doesn't a rut. I really hate bold, matte lip color. It looks bad on my thin lips.

BooBooNinja said...

I like this packaging, which is similar to that of Rouge Bunny Rouge.

Lulle said...

I was curious about these loose pigments, I'm glad you reviewed them. The packaging is exactly the same as bareMinerals High Shine Eyecolor, which I really like.

Charlestongirl said...

Yes, BooBoo! They do remind me of the wonderful RBR product!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lulle,

Thanks for reminding us of the bareMinerals High Shine Eyecolor!

Eileen said...

I'm with you, Charlestongirl, about the bright lip colors. I can rock some deeper shades if I use them as a stain, I've even managed to add a couple matte lipsticks to my collection, but bold, bright and matte is just one adjective too many for my old lips. LOL I think it is really important to keep our looks fresh and modern, but the sad fact is, as we age, our lips thin, turn in, and droop downward. What an image! :-P

Hi Anonymous,

I love your adventurous attitude towards makeup. Whenever I go in for a makeup application, I always tell the artist I want to try something new, something on trend but age appropriate (I'm 68). I always end by saying if it doesn't work, that's OK. It's only makeup. It will wash off.

Soni said...

Hi CharlestonGirl,
I'm with you on the bold matte lip colors. I always try new lipsticks when my favorite lines come out with them...but I find my thin lips just don't look good with the bold matte thing going on. (I'm only 44) But I think after trying things so many times, you definitely know what looks good & what doesn't. We could probably pull off a bold OR a matte color if it wasn't opaque.

Eileen,
I like that you ask a professional to a modern but age appropriate look. That's a good way to make sure we DON'T get stuck in a rut. I may steal your idea. ;)

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Hi CG,
As a makeup artist, I am totally with you on the bold, matte lip color. I used to be frustrated as an artist (a frustrated artist...imagine that?!?) when women didn't know their own faces and I would have to try about 10 lip colors on them, only to have them go back to the one I originally chose for them. You're so right--as we age, our lips get thinner and a bold color is AGING! NOT a good look. Turns out softer is better sometimes. I'm going to check out all of these goodies on Friday and I can't wait!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Eileen and Soni, only those of us with thinning lips can truly appreciate how bad intense lip colors look. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, MamaVal! I love your advice.

Bonnie C. said...

This type of packaging also made me immediately think of the BE shadows, I'm not as familiar with the RBR products, but I think Mally also has a shadow in a similar component. I also totally agree with you in that knowing what looks good on you and works for you does not constitute a "rut". I'm all for trying new things and experimenting, but I also know, no matter how many times I try, that certain things just don't work for me. You rock CG! :-)

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Your kindness is most welcome!