Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Dior Celebration Collection Makeup Palette for the Eyes for Holiday 2012

I purchased this limited-edition Dior Celebration Collection Makeup Palette for the Eyes for Holiday 2012 ($65) at the same time I bought the Palette for Lips - at Saks. I can't tell you it's unique. If you have a lot of brown eye shadow, you may find it a skipper. However, it's really pretty and well worth your investment if you need new brown shadows or want one-stop shopping to create a brown smoky eye. You get a lot of product for $65.

The limited-edition palette allows you to create the perfect brown smoky eye with three satin and shimmering brown and nude shadows, a mini eyeliner, a serum-infused primer, and a New Look Mini Mascara.

The velvet pouch comes in handy in this kit. It has a little strap for the mascara. With an elastic band on the outside to hold it all together, it's a great kit for travel. I'll be using mine at home. I never go anywhere anymore, which is fine by me.

The runway look, now at your fingertips. With Dior's Eyeshadow Palette, it's easy to create a professional smokey eye look. Soft and sophisticated, whatever suits your mood.

This palette presents a Serum Primer at top left and a creamy Brow Liner at top left (universal color for light to medium coloring). There are two small double-ended applicators separating the "color layers" of the palette. The Serum Primer allows the powder shadows to adhere beautifully - even the white one. It was a thoughtful inclusion in the kit.

The eye shadows are, left to right, Serum Eye Shadows in matte, shiny, and glow finishes. The little pencil eyeliner makes the set complete.

The brown shades in the palette are extremely nice. I swatched the eye shadows at the top of my arm (left to right in the palette), then the brow shade and liner below. I applied the eye shadow shades heavily with a sponge-tipped applicator, and I took these swatch photos in full sun. The medium brown has a nice satin finish (it looks a bit more shimmery because of the sunlight), even though Dior calls it matte. The shade that looks taupe in the palette is actually a shimmery cool brown. The glowy white is pure white on my skin, a good base shade or blending color.

The brown color, shown right above the liner is a nice brown. I love the creamy texture. The pure brown liner is useful, but I'd limit its use to the palette. It's tiny.

I can't tell you that this Celebration Collection Makeup Palette for the Eyes is a "run right out and buy it" essential, but it's a nice deal for anyone who wants to expand her brown eye color wardrobe in one fell swoop.

If you try it out, I'd love to know what you think. You can find it at Saks, where I purchased mine, Nordstrom, and Sephora. I suspect it's available at other locations as well.

Photo at top courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

EllenB said...

Oh this is a very pretty palette! It's definitely a good item to travel with since they even thought of including a mascara, brow color, primer, and liner. How clever of Dior! I think I'll pass on this though, only because I already have too many variations of brown and taupe in my collection. I wonder if Dior is going to release more variations of color with the same concept(?). Great review as always! :^)

Makeupremastered said...

Hello
I would have hoped for a more special palette since this is for Xmas-I think I can at least save my money on this one.

Jane said...

Usually I think the little pouches are a waste (fingerprints? I just wipe them off, and I don't travel, so my stuff never goes anywhere and is unlikely to break on my lovely vinyl floor), but it actually makes sense to have a little place to keep a set together.

Speaking of, I've long pondered buying an old fashioned, pink Mary Kay palettes from eBay. A friend's mom had one, possibly from the 60s or 70s? and I loved that thing.

Polarbelle said...

I've been looking at this palette ever since I started seeing pictures on Nordstrom and Sephora. However, I have last year's and the shadows, just by pictures look very simimlar. I was wondering if you would happen to have that palette for comparison and could tell me if it's the same or different. It's such a beautiful palette!

Maureen said...

This is a lovely pallette for traveling. I have similar color shadows from Dior, so won't buy it. I do keep the shadow palettes in the pouches.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ellen!

It is very pretty. I don't think you should look for additional palettes in different colorways anytime soon. This is probably it for holiday.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Makeupremastered,

I'm on the same wavelength.

Charlestongirl said...

Jane, always buy what you want...but remember, our memories don't always measure up in today's light.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Polarbelle, I think I skipped it last year.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Maureen,

I find the opinions on the pouches about equal. I keep them, but since I don't travel anymore, I often wonder why.