Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Chanel Apparence Illusion d'Ombre Long-Wear Luminious Eye Shadow from the Éclats du Soir de Chanel Holiday 2012 Collection

Apparence, a Long-Wear Luminous Eye Shadow ($36, Illusion d'Ombre Eyeshadow) was just introduced with the Éclats du Soir de Chanel Holiday 2012 Collection. Gold is, without a doubt, the color of the holidays, and Chanel's gold shadow is an attention getter.

This intensely shimmering long-wear eyeshadow offers true versatility. An innovative gel texture that is both soft and cushiony allows it to be worn as eye shadow or eyeliner. Includes a specially designed shadow/liner brush, developed specifically for this unique formula.

That's not that the half of it for Apparence, described as a gold bronze, festive shade for the holidays. The sheer, feather-weight cream shadow has an overall antique gold appearance with teeny tiny shimmering flecks of gold and bronze. The applied effect, though, is sheer gold.

For my swatch photos, taken in full sun, I applied Apparence with a sponge-tipped applicator, which is not the way to apply it. You can use the tiny applicator that comes with it, or you can use an eye shadow brush. I prefer my cream liner brushes. As a result of using the sponge, I ended up with an uneven swatch - sorry. I'll admit I was in a hurry. The sun had finally made an appearance, but clouds were moving in, scaring me that I wouldn't get all the photos I needed.

You need to know that this exquisite shade is very sheer. If you apply it normally, you will need to build the color to achieve what you see on my arm. I applied about four passes before I had even and relatively intense color on my arm. Even so, my swatches are relatively light on the intensity scale. That's the beauty of Apparence to my eyes.

The sunshine was definitely reflected by my swathes. This luminous shadow will make your eyes the focus of attention in any room - from a night club or restaurant to an in-home party. Your eyes will shine, helping you shine along with them.

The color of Apparence is somewhat unique. It's not your "everyday gold." I think it has some silver in it. I do see gold bronze, as Chanel describes, but I also see an indescribable silver. I'll bet the complex color will please many of you.

I purchased my Apparence at Neiman Marcus. Both of our DC-area stores have received the holiday collection, so hopefully your favorite Chanel counter will have Apparence now. It wasn't on Chanel.com as of an hour ago - yet.

What do you think? I love it.

Make sure to keep the cap on this shadow tightly in place. It will dry out if you don't. I will for sure. I don't want to lose this beauty.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Rosemary said...

Stunning! I want this.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rosemary,

I love it. Hope you enjoy it!

Melanie said...

This is really beautiful! I adore all of the Illusion d'ombres that I have. Now I must add this to the list! Hope Canada launches it soon. Thanks for posting!

sunnyItaly said...

Hello there! I don't like gold but I must say this a lovely jewel. Any idea on where it will be sold? I mean, it'an exclusive for boutiques or the likes?
Thanks for updating us constantly. I've not had much time to comment lately but enough to have a peep in and make myself want want want!
ciao
rachel sunnyitaly

Charlestongirl said...

Hi SunnyItaly,

You should be able to buy it wherever you buy Chanel.

Thanks!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melanie!

I adore it. Hope you do too.

EllenB said...

Soooo beautiful! I should just cave and buy all the colors...but my purse says "no."

Your swatches are great as are all of them!

Rola said...

I love it too! Gold looks flattering on my skin tone, so I am always looking out for gold or champagne colors.

Lucy said...

it's beautiful but does it wear well on eyes that are over 50? I look more like 40 but still the eyelids are getting a little of that crepe effect -- I love glisten but fear it maybe too late for me on that. Too bad, eyeshadow keeps getting better and better.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Ellen!

Charlestongirl said...

Rola, I think gold is a color we can all enjoy. Yea!

Charlestongirl said...

Lucy,

I am well over 50! I have learned the art of eye makeup application through trial and error. Just wear your sparkle on the lid from the lash line up to the crease. Never over the crease. Ever.

Definitely, do not apply sparkle
or shimmer over any area that is has slackened. I've never seen someone who isn't safe to wear it on the lid that remains smooth under the crease.

I have a little crepiness just above the crease on the inside near the nose. I avoid that area with color, using only my Edward Bess primer there. I use color on the crease and over, but blended so the absence of color over the crepiness isn't noticeable. It works!

Loyd Cassler is the ONLY makeup artist who has ever applied eye makeup on me instinctively this way. Even accomplished artists want to try to apply color there. I come home from a session, wipe it off that area, and look so much better than when they finished.

I have had this conversation with a fabulous artist, who told me he is going to show me how. I'm waiting!