Thursday, March 17, 2011

Edward Bess Ultra Luminous Eyeshadow in Mirage and Storm

Edward Bess is a man who knows eye shadow. His two newest Ultra Luminous Eyeshadows ($30) are elegant eye shadows, not eye candy. Mirage (at left above) and Storm (at right) are my kind of makeup!

With luminous color that is incredibly smooth to the touch, Ultra Luminious Eyeshadows have an ultra-rich texture that adds depth and dimension without screaming "Look at me." Instead, they divert one's attention to a woman's eyes, the gateway to her heart.

Mirage and Storm, beautifully profiled last week by Gaia at The Non-Blonde (pop over here and here), finally arrived at my house. I had worried that UPS might have swallowed them. When they finally floated in, on the wings of a warm-hearted delivery guy, they made my day (I should say night because my UPS deliveries usually arrive in the evening). I tore into them immediately, something I don't necessarily do at night. I have been wiped out since I went back to work in my office.

I love them both so much, I can't select a favorite. My photos won't convince you to run to an Edward Bess counter or jump online. I said they were shadows, and I meant that. Each shade leaves a wash of color on the eyelid. They are gorgeous, but don't lend themselves to great arm swatch photos.

Mirage is gold, and I am a gold groupie. I look good in gold (I think). It brings out the blue in my eyes, dressing them up without looking artificial. Storm isn't a storm, per se, but instead a storm warning, maybe a shift in the clouds or an overcast sky. It's a hybrid between grey and taupe, and it's buildable, so you can apply more or less, depending on your mood.

I should have applied some moisturizer on my arm to enliven the swatch colors. I didn't have time. I applied each shadow with a sponge-tipped applicator and darted outside before I ran off to work. The sun was out, but it was partially obscured by clouds. Mirage is shown at the top, and Storm below.

I don't know if you can appreciate the complexity of these shades from my photos. I hope you can see that Storm is unique. It's a shade you may not own - and one you should. While I have many gold eye shadows (remember I'm a gold groupie), I will reach for Mirage often. It straddles a perfect line between gleaming and sparkling. I love it.

Your skin tone may determine how these colors appear. They look different on Gaia than they look on me. As with many Edward Bess colors, they will morph to enhance your personal look. You have so many options to layer them - either with other Edward Bess Luminous Eyeshadow colors or with eye shadows in your collection. I think you're going to love their quiet sophistication.

From one of my earlier features about Edward Bess...

There's a refined, Southern aesthetic in Edward Bess's makeup. He was born in Charleston, South Carolina - a magical place - that has served as inspiration for artists for centuries. The artifacts of Charleston's past survive in its landscape, furniture, silver, art, homes, churches, cuisine, baskets, gardens tucked behind historic homes South of Broad, society, and superstitions.

Every day, Charleston comes to mind in my home, where I can enjoy and preserve a table from the Ravenal estate and a punch ladle that was made in New York for a Charleston couple's wedding in the 18th century, mementos that carry their history into my home. I associate Edward Bess's cosmetics with Charleston. I treat the makeup with the same reverence reserved for my antique treasures. Each piece evokes memories that have become part of my own history. Those touched by Charleston may leave, but Charleston never leaves them.

From the gardens tucked away from the street behind Charleston homes to Rainbow Row, with its pastel town homes, color is part of Charleston's milieu. That's why colors are Edward's specialty. These eye shadows are unique. Enjoy them!

Until recently, Edward Bess cosmetics were only available from Edward Bess online or Bergdorf Goodman. Last year, Edward launched his line at Neiman Marcus Beverly Hills and Neiman Marcus at the Houston Galleria. Now, women across the country can experience the luxury of an Edward Bess counter purchase. I wish we had one in the DC area! I love immediate gratification, despite my love for my UPS guy.

Photos by BTiB

11 comments:

Eileen said...

When I first saw these on Gaia's blog, I was thrilled at the prospect of adding some new EB to my collection. Both eye shadows can be worn entirely on their own and look elegant. Or, they can be paired with other colors for more of a "look". And, because Storm and Mirage have more sheen than the other EB colors, they can be easily dressed up for evening and yet they are also very daytime friendly. There's nothing over-the-top about EB's eye shadows. His color choices are always elegant and refined. And, of course, the excellent EB quality we've come to know and love is there meaning the new shadows are soft and smooth, blend like a dream, and wear without creasing or fading. When it comes to eyeshadow, can this man do no wrong?

Charlestongirl said...

I think you answered your own question, Eileen! :)

lovethescents said...

We don't have Edward Bess in Canada, so I can only dream. That Mirage looks so beautiful...more unattainable lemmings :-( !

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Lovethescents...

Can't you order it? Do you have a Neiman Marcus? Can't they Option 7 it for you?

marina said...

I'm in Canada. I wait for a neiman's free ship and order edward bess then. Otherwise, they always have free shipping over $150. It's isn't hard to get there, trust me.

Unknown said...

lovethescents you can order Edward Bess from Neiman Marcus or Bergdorf Goodman online shipped to Canada. They usually have free shipping promos as well. You CAN try EB and it's fabulous!

Charlestongirl said...

There you go, Lovethescents! Sofia and Mrslid have your solution! Sorry, now you will "have to" spend money. :)

lovethescents said...

thank you everyone! I am aware NM ships to Canada but I had no idea they do free shipping. That's usually the scary part. How do I find out about free shipping?

Oh, and what's Option 7?

CherriQ said...

Is it me or does this line seem to be dwindling in quality and packaging! All the newer thing I have got are falling apart. The blush fell out of the pan, and the new shadows seem to be grainy and course. I was a big fan of the original eyes and lip products and now it just seem very hodge podgey. Sorry but let get back to the original quality we expect from him.

Charlestongirl said...

Lovethescents,

An Option 7 is the term used to describe a transaction in which a Neiman Marcus that does not have the product you want orders it for you from another store. It is sent free to your house.

Charlestongirl said...

CherriQ, that doesn't sound good. I have not experienced the problem you did. The only change I saw was that the shadows no longer had a sponge-tipped applicator included.

We'll all have to keep our eyes open for those signs. Hopefully, they were isolated.