Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Kevin Aucoin Beauty The Rouge Homage Lipstick - More from New York

Kevin Aucoin was a pioneering makeup artist. Discovered by Vogue, serving as Revlon's Creative Director for the Ultima II line, and finally starting his own company, he was a giant among makeup artists. His untimely death in 2001, was complicated, but primarily caused by painkillers he took for his physical and mental suffering from the symptoms related to a rare pituitary tumor. He was considered a pioneer for many reasons, but retrospectively, he may have been the first makeup artist who refused to prepare models who were too young for the catwalks or editorial work.

When he died, I was sure his cosmetics line would die with him. Much to my surprise, it continues to thrive. 

We have a Kevin Aucoin counter at SPACE.NK at Bloomingdale's at Tysons Corner Center, but the last time I looked, they did not have the latest Kevin Aucoin colors. Barneys New York did. I considered them and ruled them out. Not for me - for example new matte lip colors.

I did play with some of his existing lipsticks and fell for The Rouge Homage Lipstick ($27) in Heartbreaker immediately. Check out my photo below, and you'll see why. Imagine this color. Then imagine a sheer finish - gorgeous!

The Rouge Homage Lipstick is a silky, sheer-finish lip color that pays homage to Kevyn Aucoin’s beloved nude collection from the '90s. Each lip shade features a moisture-rich formulation created with shea butter, aloe, and hyaluronic acid. These ingredients hydrate and protect the lips while smoothing texture irregularities for a velvety finish. In addition, the shades are gorgeous. The Nordstrom and Barneys Web sites show eight shades.

I took a few swatch photos in full sunlight over the weekend.  This shade is hard to characterize. It has hues of rose, mauve, and even a little copper in some lighting. It's just as pretty on my lips as it is on my arm.

Now that I'm home, I wish I had picked up a second shade. I'm developing so many incentives to shop! You can find Kevin Aucoin at SPACE.NK, Barneys New York (in store and online), and Nordstrom online. I'd love to choose a second shade in person, so it's likely to be SPACE.NK.

Photo at top courtesy of Barneys New York; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

12 comments:

Jane said...

Celadon in DC carries a larger chunk of the Kevyn Aucoin line including the newly repackaged lip glosses and Creamy Moist Glow. I couldn't try them on because everyone was too busy!

Eileen said...

Oooo. . . I love colors like this! I really should make a point of stopping by his counter the next time I'm in the Valley. I also understand he has a cream foundation that is supposed to be excellent.

Simply put, Kevin put the "artist" in makeup artist. His canvas was the human face. His paints were makeup pigments. His insightful way of seeing beyond a person's façade enabled him to create the makeup looks for iconic photographs of some of the most famous faces of our time. Their isn't a makeup artist alive who understands the human face and how to capture the soul quite the way Kevin did. He was one in a million and was an extraordinarily gifted man in so many ways. He will long be remembered for this perceptive quote:

"No amount of makeup can mask an ugly heart." --Kevin Aucoin

Jo said...

That is a gorgeous color CG. I'm definitely going to check this out at SpaceNK what I'm at Bloomingdales this weekend. Thanks!

Suselew said...

I just made this my first Kevyn Aucoin purchase. What a gorgeous color. I added a Jane Iredale powder to my Beauty.com order too. A lipstick in my stash will have to get tossed, but it will be well worth it to get this wonderful color.

Lisa said...

Thanks for the post! Ordered that one immediately. Did you read my post about Oro Gold? Have you tried it? I was iterested in what you thought of it.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Jane! I have never been to Celadon. Will have to check it out.

Charlestongirl said...

That's beautiful, Eileen. I know of one person who might want to give up makeup. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Let us know what you think, Jo! Thanks.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Suselaw!

Hope you enjoy it. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, I am sooooo behind. Where was the Oro Gold comment/post?

Really, overwhelmed. Had a 12-hour day today. Work was long, plus another Mom emergency to deal with. Now must eat so I can write at least one post for tomorrow. Sigh...

Suselew said...

Just got the lipstick and was SHOCKED how tiny it is. It is a beautiful color but the bullet is tiny so that makes the cost exorbitant. I do love the magnetic cap. I wish every manufacturer did that.

Idaira said...

Uf! when I saw the lipstick for first time I was like... :S but the color on the skin is great!!! I have the famous The celestial powder candelight by Kevin Aucoin and I love it!