Tuesday, May 15, 2012

KORRES Magic Light Contouring Trio

KORRES has introduced Magic Light Contouring Trios ($28) in two gorgeous color tones, and they are definitely magical - from the beautiful compacts to the lovely stamped design in the powders. Each of the three complexion-enhancing powders in a compact combine to amplify the skin’s natural beauty and enhance our facial architectures.

Mykonos is shown at the top of this feature, and Santorini is shown directly above. Both are named after Greek islands. My photos taken at home are shown below. I love patterns in compacts. These combine two elements, the stripes of color that are so popular along with postmarks, postcards from faraway lands.

Each picturesque contouring trio includes a weightless, light-diffusing powder, a sculpting powder, and brightening cheek glow to add shape, dimension, and soft focus to your skin. The result is an interplay between shadow and illumination that mimics the “magic light” of Greece, bathing the skin in a natural, flattering glow.

These Magic Light Contouring Trios are not exactly blushes. They are too light when blended, although there is a subtle blush shade. They aren't exactly highlighters either. They are a novel product, a hybrid between a finishing powder, blush, very light bronzer, finishing powder, and illuminator when blended.

KORRES recommends that you use the three shades separately. Use an angled blush brush to sweep the sculpting powder (the deepest shade) around the outside edge of face and in hollows of cheeks. Then, using the same brush, apply the brightening cheek glow (the medium shade) to the apples of your cheeks and dust it lightly on your chin, tip of your nose, and forehead. Finally, apply the light diffusing powder (the lightest shade) all over your face, blending out any harsh edges and concentrating light at the cheekbones and brow bones. Alternatively, use a large, fluffy brush to blend all three shades and dust the blended shade over your entire complexion as a luminous finishing powder. Two ways to play - two ways to wear. I love multi-use products!

I've had so much fun playing with these powders. I bought them both. My preference for wear? I like to use them as finishing powders - probably because that's fast and easy. They add a very subtle glow - not a shine - that looks good on every part of my face. I have followed the KORRES directions,and I'm happy with the three uses they suggest. If I had to make a Solomon's choice to own only one shade, I think I'd have to select Mykonos. The pink tones are right up my alley. Oh, but Santorini - such a perfect nude/brown for a fair-skinned gal!

I did blended swatches for you, combing all three shades with a sponge-tipped applicator and applying them heavily on my arm. Mykonos is shown at the top of my arm, with Santorini below. I lope it's clear from the swatches that Mykonos adds a warm flush to the face, while Santorini adds a very light bronze one when all three shades are blended.

Does it get prettier? Both of these shades are very sheer - basically mistake-proof. Have you ever worried about trying to contour, but ending up with a striped face? That won't happen with a Magic Light Contouring Trio. Use the contouring shade and blend out the edges, if you can see them, with the lightest shade. Voila! You will look like yourself, only better. The finely milled powders do their work on the face without looking at all obvious. That's the magic.

The compacts are clear plastic, but very classy. They carry the postcard theme on the lid. Inside, there is a large mirror. As you might expect, the postcard theme, repeated on the surface of the powder, will be gone with a few uses. That's OK. The powders are noteworthy nonetheless. I think of it as a postcard sent back to KORRES to tell them how much I love my Magic Light Contouring Trios.

Really fair? So am I! I suppose Santorini is the best shade for me, but I adore Mykonos. That's why I had to have them both. I couldn't figure it out online at Sephora, and I'm so pleased to have both shades. This was a case of indecision that payed off big time.

I purchased my KORRES Magic Light Trios at Sephora, the exclusive beauty retailer for these beauties. I'll be using these year round. KORRES has outdone itself.

Photos at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Evelyn said...

This caught my eye because the packaging is so cute and I ended up buying Santorini because...well...my grandmother was born there so I have an attachment and then because it happens to work really well with my skin tone. I'm tempted by Mykonos but it doesn't show up so well on me but I keep looking at it! :)

Yes, I can invent all sorts of crazy reasons to buy makeup.

Elysse said...

Just reading the names has made me homesick! Korres has been bringing out such exciting new things. I love both colours, but I have to try them first! Thanks for the pretty post!

meredith said...

This is quite beautiful! The only thing I own from Korres is a lip butter. Hard to believe. I'm not just not overly impressed with their products-but something like this really gets me interested!

yesplease1816 said...

These are so pretty! I haven't purchased anything from Korres in a long time--but I love the brand, and I think I'll go swatch this in-stores to see how it looks on!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Evelyn!

That's so cool! Grandmother born on that beautiful island!

I can invent crazy reasons too. We've joined the not-so-exclusive club of beauty lovers.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Odyssey! Do try them to decide which you like best.

Charlestongirl said...

Meredith, I have my KORRES favorites - not everything. These have vaulted their color to the top of my most recent loves.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Yesplease!

Please let us know what you think.

Vanessa said...

Yassou! Korres make beautiful products that smell good and work well. I just wish they would bring back their shampoo and conditioners. I called the comapny and Johnson & Johnson is the US distributer. J&J chooses not to distribute them iin the US! I can't even buy them off of the website. Well, I am asking anyone who misses these lovely products or wants to try them, to join me in asking Korres and J&J to distribute these luscious shampoo and conditioner. The Sunflower for colored hair cleaned withour stripping color and the silk conditioner left my thick curls shiny and silky. I may have to visit Greece again...