Thursday, May 24, 2012

Stewart & Claire Lip Balm

Stewart & Claire - one of those lines you've never heard about, right? I discovered Stewart & Claire Lip Balm ($5) at Beautyhabit. It caught my eye for a couple of reasons. I once had a boyfriend named Stewart. I was about 18, and I still remember that dreamboat. Then I had a cat named Stuart (named after J.E.B. Stuart). At the time his "brother" was Mosby, the grey ghost. I digress.

Stewart & Claire makes small-batch lip balms, an idea that started over cocktails. While drinking one of Stewart's martinis, it occurred to Claire, a lip balm obsessive (aka addict), that mixing cocktails is like blending ingredients to create lip balm. Claire may have had one too many. After a year or so of tinkering, Claire developed a line of organic, all-natural lip balms that her lips liked better than others on the market. Stewart & Claire lip balms are made by hand in tiny batches, and they are constantly dreaming up new ones. Their lip balms are never tested on animals, which makes them particularly attractive.

Of course, for any kind of alchemy, it's important to start with great ingredients. In the case of the lip balm, Stewart & Claire use organic oils and butters and golden beeswax. They do not use any artificial flavorings. Instead, the scents come from pure essential oils and botanical-infused oils. For sensitive lips, Stewart & Claire offers a Bare balm, with no added scent. I bought that. They also offer seven other flavors. I bought Coconut. It's a beachy scent I love.

The verdict? I love them! The unscented balm, Bare, is made with rosehip seed oil, which has anti-inflammatory properties, making it great for sensitive or irritated skin.The coconut version is made with extra-virgin coconut and roasted macadamia nut oils, has a subtle tropical scent, and is especially silky. Those with nut or similar allergies should note that Coconut is made with macadamia nut oil. Want another flavor? Check out your options at Beautyhabit! The $5 price makes it worth a try, especially if you are ordering and need a few extra dollars to make the difference between free shipping and a fee for shipping.

I think Clarie "did good." I need Tiki next. As for Stewart's martinis, I cannot comment. It would be fun if they supplied recipes with each balm.

Photos courtesy of Beautyhabit

2 comments:

Isla said...

It's great that they have an option without scent! I need to remember this for my next Beautyhabit visit..

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Isla!

I always end up spending too much trying to achieve free shipping, so these little balms - wonderful balms - will become my new "fillers." :)