Monday, May 21, 2012

Clinique Chubby Stick Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm: Available in Eight New Shades

A year and a half ago, Clinique introduced Chubby Sticks Moisturizing Lip Colour Balm ($16). They were $15 at the time. Either success or inflation led to a price increase, but I love them no less. What's a dollar when a product is this perfect?

These super-nourishing tinted balms are loaded with mango and shea butters to make them smooth, creamy, and a luscious treat for the lips. My dry, delicate lips need to feel comfortable, and Chubby Sticks are perfect for me. Clinique apparently heard the call and added eight new shades, each with a subtle sheen.

The application is quick and easy. The creamy, thick pencil glides across my lips with no drag, leaving color and moisture behind. There is no taste, and there is no discernible fragrance - just a pretty, natural tint that's flattering - and looks like my own, no matter what the shade.


My new shades are Curvy Candy (#14), Pudgy Peony (#15), and Voluptuous Violet (#16). They are shown above in the same order, left to right. I also swatched them in that order, top to bottom, on my arm. I took my photos in full sun. The colors may appear to be washed out from the sun, but what you see below is the way they look on my arm.

You will find that they look more pigmented on the lips than they look on my arm. Your own lip pigmentation will determine how much color they provide. Pudgy Peony, shown in the middle of the three swatches, is the darkest on my lips. It actually shows a lot of color. Voluptuous Violet isn't as crazy purple as it looks in the pencil.

Chubby Sticks leave a gleam on my lips, but they aren't overtly shiny. Evey one of the shades is gorgeous, and because they are so sheer, you can wear colors you might not have expected to work with your skin tone. You can't lose. Pick a few and try them.

Clinique advises that for subtle definition you should outline your lips first, then fill in with natural-looking color. That's too much trouble for me. I swipe (well, maybe draw) and go, as you would with any tinted balm. They are so easy - and so nice - you can't go wrong. Want to create your own Chubby Stick mix? Clinique has a cute tool on its Web site.

Leave it to Clinique to give us more good-for-us beauties. You can find the new colors at Clinique's Web site, Sephora, and Clinique counters (or online sites) everywhere.

Photo at top courtesy of Clinique; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

15 comments:

Shelnmum said...

I bought almost all the colors when it was launched last year:-) Gotta check out the new shades when they are launched here where I live:-)

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try these because of the jello in the ads :P

Eileen said...

These are just so easy to toss in a purse or beach bag. I'm not sure what's up with the names, though. Curvy (PC for fat) Candy, Pudgy Peony, Bountiful Blush, Oversized Orange (sounds like a truck), Two Ton Tomato (really!), Heaping Hazelnut, Voluptuous (also PC for fat) Violet, and Mighty Mimosa (they evidently couldn't think of a fat related name for this one). In view of the worsening obesity epidemic in this country, is this really the way we want to promote a beauty collection? "Obesity Chic" is as tasteless as "Heroin Chic" and both concepts are based on a deadly condition. I'm not overweight, but if I were, I don't think I'd want to wear something that implied I was "two ton", "pudgy", or "oversized"

meredith said...

I like the Peony type color-I own several Chubby Sticks but am not overly impressed with them. I find myself constantly reapplying them.

I am SO glad that Eileen brought the names up. I thought exactly what she did! I have wondered for years what is up with Clinique's marketing. They have been so blah for so long-and now they come up with "BIG" words for chubby sticks? Hmmmmm-disgruntled employee perhaps?

yesplease1816 said...

I don't know why I still haven't tried these--I've been wanting to for a long time. Definitely have to check out the new shades!! I am such a sucker for sheer color in a lip balm-y formula!

Cindy's Societal said...

Lol thanks for reviewing these cgirl!

As for the names, I think Clinique is just going in the same direction as calling the range itself "Chubby stick".

Charlestongirl said...

You are all a riot!

I sincerely doubt it was Clinique's intention to advocate for extra pounds on our bodies. Clearly, they are carrying out the "chubby" stick theme. Is it corny? Yep! Silly. It doesn't bother me at all - simply because I love these "little darlings."

Sorry I can't respond to everyone tonight. Had some "Mom duties." :)

Tatiana said...

My first time posting here. It's not obvious to me, but when these wear down do you need to sharpen them with a sharpener? Or do they swivel up somehow?

Also, I don't mind the names, even as someone who has a few pounds to lose. I just chalked it up to someone in marketing trying to be cute.

Reena said...

Shades are pretty and sassy. I love to grab one! Clinique has always been in my shopping list.

Jenni said...

the shades are not limited edition, right??
would love to grab the violet and mimosa ones, but am not a huge fan of this formula since a bit drying on me. will sleep on it, though! thanks for swatching! I agree - cant go wrong with the shades since they r sheer :)

Unknown said...

Pudgy Peony looks gorgeous in your swatch :) I might go grab this one for myself too. These seems to be great for summer, I prob going to use it as a cheek stain as well :)

ThinkOrange said...

I love them because they are so easy to use. But I didn't got a chance to check out the new shades.

Charlestongirl said...

Tatiana,

To "sharpen," simply swivel up to reveal more lip color. They are genius sticks!

Charlestongirl said...

Jenni,

I have not seen them described as limited anywhere. I think the new shades are here to stay.

Charlestongirl said...

Come to think of it, they could have named them Genius Sticks! With names like Einstein's Pink or Jobs' Java. Good thing I'm not naming makeup. :)