Thursday, May 17, 2012

M·A·C Sheen Supreme Lipstick in Blossom Culture from the Perennial Pinks Collection

Every now and then, M·A·C introduces something with its "here today, gone tomorrow," limited-edition collections that grabs my attention. Last week was one of those times. I fell in love with Sheen Supreme Lipstick in Blossom Culture.

What made me look at the Perennial Pinks Collection? The name! What pink lover could resist a springtime color collection with that name? There are two Sheen Supreme Lipsticks ($14.50) in the collection: Behave Yourself, described as a light blue pink, and Blossom Culture, described as a soft pink with pearl - the one that looked warm and welcoming online at M·A·C. It's better than warm and welcoming. It's downright gorgeous! I may need a back-up before it disappears - again. Both shades are repromotes. I missed them a few years ago. Fortunately, I didn't miss them this time around.

Combining the color impact of a lipstick with the shiny sheen of a lip glass, Sheen Supreme creates the perfect hybrid. Lightweight, non-sticky, "slick" and creamy to apply, and comfortable to wear (understatement), this lipstick is a must-have for those who crave a "fusion" between lipstick and lip gloss - people like me.

Although M·A·C's own photo of Blossom Culture, shown at the top of this feature is great, I think my own photo, directly above, brings the color to life. It shows the warm pink in its glory against the turquoise backdrop. On my lips, it's even better. Because my lips have their own light rose pigment, they bring out the pink in the semi-sheer shade.

On my arm, the shade shows its peach hue. On my lips, it still shows its warmth with that peach hue, but, overall, looks gloriously peachy-pink, the perfect marriage between the shades.

I took my photos in full, late-afternoon sun, and I took one in front of a neighbor's mauve pink blossoms in an attempt to show the warmth in the pink shade. Call it peachy pink, call it warm pink, call it divine! Add in how wonderfully soothing and moisturizing it feels on my lips, and I'm swooning. I feel like a movie star when I wear it. It looks that good.


I also snapped a photo with a pretty white Catalpa bloom in the background - again showing a different look to the shade.  Your own coloring and what you choose to wear with Blossom Culture are likely to determine its exact color rendition on your lips. Even though I associate the name with "flower child," there's nothing in Blossom Culture that's a throwback to the 60's and 70's. It's more Philadelphia Flower Show.

At $14.50, I can afford to order another one so that I can use one in my bathroom and keep one in the makeup bag. I'm so glad I bought it!

You can too. Just check out M·A·C's Web site. I'll be telling you about my other pretty purchases as soon as I can get photos. If you aren't an ardent M·A·C follower, you may not have seen the Perennial Pinks Collection. There was only a 50-50 chance I would. I'm delighted.

Photo at top courtesy of M·A·C; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That shade is gorgeous! I'll have to swatch it next time I'm in MAC. Thanks!

Me said...

How pretty! And as for name, yes the "Pink" and "Blossom" in the title of your article dragged me right over. Alas, I can handle no warmth, but I might have to see what else is in this collection. I'll never officially grow up--I will always love pink. ♥

Charlestongirl said...

Definitely, Alex! It's so pretty. I don't know if this collection is in the stores or just online. Hope so!

Charlestongirl said...

Zuzu, get the other one...the blue pink!

grlnxdor said...

I'm just loving these peachy pinks that you've been showing, Charlestongirl!

lizzybee said...

Hi Charlestongirl et al!! Yes I was drawn instantly today by your use of the words "Pink", "Perennial", and "Blossom" ... they are lovely at this time of year especially. These Sheen Supreme lipsticks are so wonderful (I have a couple and love them). Your photo swatches really do do this particular shade more than justice. Many thanks. xoxo Beth in Pgh ;-)

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, grlnxdor! There have been so many pretty ones this year. I've grown to love the shade!

Charlestongirl said...

Beth, I need more of these lipsticks. I may have to hit up a counter this weekend!

makeup magpie said...

I love this one too! I stumbled across it at the counter while looking for something else, but had to have it! Such a gorgeous peachy-pink. Great swatches :)