Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bobbi Brown Shimmer Brick Eye Palette from the Sea Pearls Collection for Summer 2013

Bobbi Brown's new Sea Pearls Collection is gorgeous. Her inspiration for the collection was the ocean - from the luster of sea pearls to the aqua green translucence of sea glass. The collection is about delicate washes of color that highlight and illuminate.

No piece does that better than the limited-edition Shimmer Brick Eye Palette ($45). Look familiar? It's very much like a palette Bobbi Brown introduced about two years ago. I'm looking now for its name. It also was a stunning collection of pastel shades - all offering pastels that will make your eyes glow.

Taking their cue from under-the-sea hues, these ten shimmering shades are sure to create an array of enchanting eye looks. Simply use your fingertip [any thin brush will do] to swipe each color separately - then apply it to the eyelid - or glide across a group of shades to create your own signature mix. Imparts a soft wash of pearlescent color straight from the sleek, mirrored compact so it's perfect for playing up your eyes in seconds flat.

I'm a Shimmer Brick collector, so I ordered this one online the moment I saw it. I wasn't up for swatching each color, so I selected four that moved me and took photos in full, afternoon sunshine. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to swatch. All of the shades are sheer, so I had to swatch heavily.

I chose to show pinks and greens. The shade at the top of my arm is the second from left in the palette. It's a sandy pink. The second two shades are two of the three greens - always attractive to me. The bottom shade is the pink at the far right in the compact.

All of the shades are shimmering, but they offer a sheen on the eyelids. Because they are sheer, you can choose to apply a subtle wash of color or amp up the brightness by layering.

I'm pleased with the Shimmer Brick Eye Palette from the Sea Pearls Collection. I haven't even begun to discover the shades and all the potential combinations, but I thought you might like to see some early swatch photos.

I have not seen the Sea Pearls Collection at the stores yet, but you can purchase it at Bobbi Brown's Web site. For a limited time, if you spend $65 there, use the code SEAPEARLS for a full-sized lip gloss, your gift with purchase.

Photos at top courtesy of Bobbi Brown; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

lovethescents said...

Very pretty but I wonder if it's shimmer overload? Would you wear this on their own, or with more matte shadows?

lov2read68 said...

She has done several of these over the years. There is something in my nature that needs separation between my colors. I'm sure there is a technical name for this. As my eyelids mature - I'm not sure this would be the best choice for me. Although, I definitely get the desire for a drink that requires an umbrella or similar type garnish looking at the colors though!

Unknown said...

I agree with lov2read68....
The colors are gorgeous and tempting but appears to be a lot of shimmer. Hhmmm

Christina said...

Gorgeous colors, but given that they're so sheer and light, I wonder if several of them will end up looking the same on the eyes, especially those in the same color family. It's great to have 3 or 4 greens and pinks in a palette, but if they all look really similar to each other, it's a bit redundant.

I almost always wear at least 3 colors on my eyes, and it looks like this is the type of palette where you'll wear one or two shades max and combine it with other brands/formulas.

jonnie said...

I bought the shimmer brick as soon as it came out on line also! However, pastels always wash this pale blonde out. The online advisor told me to try a matte color on my lids to my crease (like cement...) and then layer one of the shimmer colors over top on the lid only. Hope this helps! I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds promising :)

grlnxdor said...

I love the idea of shimmering pastels. However, after experimenting with one of my daughters Urban Decay palettes I think I need to proceed with caution. On me--and I'm just speaking for me--it looks like I'm in a time warp. Like I'm wearing shades from my early teens and forgot to update my makeup as I aged. I'm gonna keep experimenting though, because I love the idea of summer pastels.

Trishb said...

I'm not sure I can justify another eye shimmerbrick. I have two and the colors look very similar, both to one another, and to the current offering. Then again, the old ones came after the sandwash and stonewash collections, so perhaps the colors are clearer, less muted in this one. Somehow, it seems that this collection will end up with me, despite my rationalizations.

Flyavsted said...

I used to have the similar palette from two years back. It was too much shimmer and pastels for me and I gave it to a friend. Overall I much more prefer Bobbi Brown singles as they seem to have far better quality than her palettes.

angusmum1 said...

It is so pretty!! As has been said it does seem like a lot of shimmer, hencethe name. I have a dior quint called Garden Pastels, I had left it at my brothers so I still have it, from Spring 2012. Really sheer greens blues etc, very lovely but a bit difficult to wear. I like the idea mentioned by Jonnie about using a matte first, will try it when I pick it up in a couple of weeks. Wish I had forgotten more makeup, I always seem to leave things behind at my brothers 5 hr drive! thanks for showing this, learn so much here all of it for personal pleasure, how important in these busy lives!!

Charlestongirl said...

Wow, so many comments. Sorry I just got back to all of you. Yesterday was hectic. I had a conservation easement violation to deal with, and it's not over yet. We are having an attorney send a demand letter for restoration.

Bobbi Brown has done a very similar palette in the past. I gave one away within the last year. I think they are pretty. I would never use the colors above the crease on my eyes. Most of us are crease-free below the crease.

If you apply/blend the colors well, you get more of a gleam that an outright shimmer. Don't be afraid of shimmer. It's the in thing!

Some of the colors are similar, but not exact dupes.

Jonnie, your SA gave you good advice. Plus, I'm a pale blonde, and I can wear these shades. Flyavsted, I wish BB would come out with new singles. It's been a long time. Angusmum1, if you have the pink and green Dior palette, I'm not sure you need this one.

Dawn said...

Although I'm not a shimmerbrick lover - shimmer and oily skin just do not mix - I do think the model's lip color is absolutely stunning! Any idea what she might be wearing? *swoon* The makeup on her eyes is also stunning but that lip color just drew me in.

Do companies post somewhere what they really use in models in ads? I dragged my feet on ordering TF's Pink Lust, I know, I know stupid! Because now it's gone. Not even on pre-order with Saks anymore. So now I'm in the mood for a new lip color. :-)

Charlestongirl said...

That is bizarre, Dawn. Saks sent out an e-mail ad for the collection today.

Dawn said...

I know CG I got the same email from Saks just today. If I didn't read blogs like yours I would have missed out entirely especially because no store around me sells TF. It's frustrating when lines don't make enough product to satisfy demand. I saw the Fire Lust illuminator on ebay for twice its value and the lip lacquer for THREE times its value! Crazy. Sorry I don't need that lipgloss that bad! lol. Saks had several of the new TF items on pre-order, Fire Lust is in there now, but I dragged my heels when the lipgloss showed back up. Oh well. I think I'm going to look at the new Armani lip lacquers and probably try to find out what shade the BB model is wearing. :-)

And I apologize, all I read was 'shimmerbrick' and not the eye palette because I was skimming the review. Shame on me. My oldest son sprained his ankle at his game the other night so I don't have my usual quiet time to read the internet. Even if I can't use the shimmerbrick eye palette, it sure is pretty nonetheless. I liked the idea of applying a matte shadow first and then layering the shimmery color over it. I'm going to remember that idea for future uses.

Hannah said...

Hi, I have the old palette, it's called Aqua Shimmer Brick eye palette. =)