Monday, May 6, 2013

Guerlain Météorites Perles Les Ors Light-Diffusing Primer from the Terra Ora Collection for Summer 2013

Guerlain's new primer, the sheer, luxurious, limited-edition Météorites Perles Les Ors Primer ($71), uses a combination of three different gold pearls to reveal a brighter complexion. White pearls illuminate the skin, while pink and yellow pearls add a golden glow and a subtle shimmer. The lightweight gel texture makes this primer perfect for setting makeup in warmer weather, but you can use it on its own to enhance the skins’ natural radiance and make your skin look dewy.

I wasn't going to purchase it. I have the Météorites Perles primer that combines pink-toned pearls, and it's lovely. Did I need another? I guess the answer is yes. After reading Eileen's description of its effect on her face, I caved. My readers are superb enablers.

This is an elegant primer. Unlike some, it wasn't designed to correct your skin tone or make you sparkle. I like to think of Guerlain as "adult makeup," and this primer fits neatly into that category. It will enliven your skin; add a barely-there golden tint to your skin (I mean barely there or extremely sheer); and extend the wear time of your foundation.

The direct sunshine took all the gold out of the cap. It looks almost silver in the photo above, but it's gold, matching the theme of the collection.

It's very hard to take swatch photos of a product so sheer, but I tried anyhow. My photos were taken in full, mid-day sun. I applied an unblended drop to the top of my arm, using the pump-top applicator. I like the pump top because it allows me to dispense only what I need and no more. I also applied a second pump below and spread it lightly with my fingers to show you the color and glow. I did not blend it in entirely; otherwise I think there would have been little left to see.

The golden shade should be apparent. When I saw it in the store, my first thought was that it would make a fabulous accompaniment to the Tom Ford summer collection. Naturally, it complements Guerlain's collection as well. You can see that it adds a slightly peach golden glow to my skin. However, when blended fully and covered with foundation, the shade is hard to detect. I prefer to wear it with Giorgio Armani's Maestro Fusion Makeup, which provides coverage, but is sheer compared to many other foundations.

Somehow, the clear serum and pearls in the bottle combine to provide this summer-toned glow. I have no idea how they mix. Guerlain's magic?

When you apply this classy primer, it will leave your face feeling damp for a minute or two, so I'd recommend you wait before you apply your foundation, BB cream, blush, or whatever. If you don't need or wear other products, blend the primer well and leave your face alone for a minute to allow it to dry. Once it dries on me, I see only a slightly dewy, golden look to my skin. The appearance is very subtle.

Météorites Perles Les Ors Light-Diffusing Primer is not a liquid highlighter. You could wear it under one, though, to give the highlighter a better last. It has Guerlain's beautiful, signature violet scent, which I love. I've noticed that the fragrance dissipates very quickly, so those who dislike fragranced makeup might like it.

I'll quote Eileen in finishing here. "I like Guerlain's primers, so I did not hesitate to buy Météorites Perles Light Diffusing Primer Les Ors. It is gorgeous and can actually be worn alone. It gives a beautiful unifying glow to the skin and helps defeat areas of redness. Marcus [everyone's favorite Guerlain makeup artist] ollowed it with LdP in 02, but I don't need any foundation right now."

Does your skin need a boost? Give it a try. Guerlain’s Terra Ora Collection is available at select locations of Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Sephora, and Bergdorf Goodman - and of course at the Guerlain Boutiques. I purchased my Météorites Perles Les Ors Light-Diffusing Primer at Bloomingdale's.

Photo at top courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

18 comments:

Eileen said...

Ahhh. . . there it is! My precious! This would be lovely for anyone who fits into Guerlain's color range, but I think paler beauties will especially appreciate it because it adds warmth with a subtle honey glow that enlivens complexions and whispers--rather than shouts--summertime :-)

As Charlestongirl pointed out, this is not a highlighter so don't expect anything other than a subtle illumination built into a great primer for normal to dry complexions.

Joanna said...

Thought I would de-lurk to say that I really enjoy your thoughtful and well-written Guerlain reviews. I bought the primer, BB and coral lipstick today. Still need to get the bronze eyeshadow, as my store didn't have it in stock. Thinking about the Terra Ora bronzer too!

Thanks again for the great reviews!

Micki said...

I stopped in Saks in NY a few weeks ago and the sales associate used this over my foundation. It left my skin dewy and glowing. Those with oily skin may not like that but on my slightly dry skin, it was beautiful.

Unknown said...

Hi CG, I am from Australia. I subscribe to your blog therefore every morning I read your blog and eating my breakfast. I love reading your blog, not only you write so well you also review great products. I found myself shop online at the working hours and no different this product is in the shopping cart. Totally sold!

Jo said...

Oh, I MUST have it! Sounds great!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey Jo,

It's cool in an understated way.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks for the comment and compliment, Lilian!

Charlestongirl said...

Micki,

I love that idea.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Joanna,

Glad you de-lurked. You got some fab products today. Guerlain really knows how to do summer, as Eileen said.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

You enabler! I love the way it looks worn alone - cover. Plus I'm going to try Micki's trick.

Eileen said...

Hi Charlestongirl; Hi Micki,

What a great idea for those times when we want a bit of extra glow :-)

Sujaan said...

Hm. I think I'll be popping into Sephora tomorrow to give this a try. My winter skin needs some dew. I just hope it doesn't add any redness, that I do not need.

Evelyn said...

*sigh* I might have to buy this. lol One of the SA at the Guerlain pop up counter in Bloomingdales put the original one on me and it made the LdP foundation look every so much better. I could use a honey glow for the summer at least. I was afraid I would look greasy as I tend to have oily combination skin but it worked well. :)

Joey said...

I like to think that, one day, there will be a monument built in Eileen's name. I imagine that it will be a statue of a bunch of beautiful women, holding her up, with the words "We were broke, but oh so beautiful." =)

I mean, wow! Between her comment from the other day and these swatches of yours, CG, I think I might actually have to buy this. And I haven't wanted to buy makeup in the longest time!!

Claire said...

I've read several blogs now singing how great Guerlain primers are. But I do wonder if the glowy-ness disappear once you apply foundation on top? I see that you use Armani Maestro on top, but I'm thinking of foundation with more coverage. Any comments? (perhaps from Eileen)? Thanks in advance!

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl!Hi Eileen!
I've been dying to put my hands on it after reading your praise! I already use and love the "normal" météorites perles primer...so my Sephora SA promised she would save one just for me when these wonders would arrive! And since Friday, I've been the happy owner of one!....and I do love it as much as you do: there are some beauties you can't do without:-) Thanks to both of you for pointing it out: here, they are just on the market and there are no reviews about them yet!...

Sandra Sallin said...

Ok, you've convinced me. I'm going to purchase the primer today at Sephora. I was wondering what is the name of the blog that Eileen has? She sounds interesting and probably in my age range. I'd like to add her to my list. Thanks. LOVE your reviews and as I've said you cost me a lot of money. But it's fun.

Charlestongirl said...

Sandra, Eileen does not write a blog.