Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Dior Jelly Lip Pen in Gaïa from the Birds of Paradise Collection for Summer 2013

Dior launched three new, limited-edition shades of its Jelly Lip Pen ($26) with the Birds of Paradise Collection for Summer 2013: Gaïa (#656, shimmering watermelon pink), Carioca (# 636, shimmering pink apricot), and Copacabana (#516, shimmering nude beige). I was taken with Gaïa even before I knew it was named after Gaia from The Non-Blonde.

This lip color in a pencil delivers hydration, shine, and rich pigment. A true beauty multitasker, the exclusive jelly-like formula offers an all-in-one treatment to deliver the hydration of a balm, the high-shine of a gloss, and the pigment of a lipstick. This jumbo pencil sharpens with a simple twist and is ideal for easy, smooth, touch-and-go application.

Dior calls the Jelly Lip Pen colors saturated. I'll have to disagree there, given that they offer sheer, shiny, hydrating color. However, I'll never ague with sheer, shiny, and hydrating. I will warn you that Copacabana is virtually clear on the lips. The champagne color basically disappears on my lips.

I took swatch photos of Gaïa in full, morning sunshine. It's a rosy pink, and it does add a fast-and-easy my-lips-but-better look to my lips. You can see on my arm that it's not entirely sheer; it slightly covers the veins in my arm.

Watermelon pink is a perfect description of the shade. I love it! For a quick touch-up or a casual lip, Dior's new Jelly Lip Pens offer a fabulous option.

You can find the new Dior Birds of Paradise Collection at Dior counters, and it is a available online at Nordstrom and Sephora. I'll warn you that it might be easiest to order online. When I tried to buy Gaïa at Neiman Marcus, not one full week after its arrival, it was sold out. I purchased it from Nordstrom online.

Photo at top courtesy of Sephora; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

13 comments:

lovethescents said...

I like the sound of the formulas, but I'm not sure if they're pigmented enough for me. Thank you for the helpful reviews, as usual!

Unknown said...

Never say no to the colour like this! Australia just launcjed this at the counter as I walked passed yesterday when visiting Chanel. I am definitely going back again today.

Virginie said...

Ouhhhh, like this!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lovethescents, probably not.

Charlestongirl said...

Lilian,

I love this because it stays moist. It's like an ultra-tinted lip balm. Most tinted balms don't have enough color.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Virginie,

Me too. :)

Crista said...

I love # 516, had to buy a couple for backups!

Polarbelle said...

I just got the pink and coral yesterday. They're fairly sheer but just enough shimmer and color to make th interesting!! Lovely choice!

Lisa said...

I was just in Neimans' yesterday, and you are absolutely right! These are VERY sheer. They feel wonderful and hydrating on the lips, but no color payoff on my pink lips!

Claire said...

These remind me of Clinique Chubby stick, but I love it that it is shiny & looks very moisturizing from you swatches!

Maya said...

These are nothing but sheer lip balms if anyone has pigmented lips. I purchased the coral one and it swatched beautifully on my hand but on my lips the shimmer disappeared and hardly any color. I don't need a $30 balm :)

LilJeJa said...

omg it's beautiful

Isla said...

I have to agree with Claire...a lot like the Chubby sticks...honestly, a few drugstore brands (Milani) also have very similar things that are pretty good quality, and I have trouble believing this one would be much better...