Friday, May 24, 2013

The Friday Forum - May 24

It's the season for roses now, and they are so pretty. This David Austin rose in my garden has gotten leggy. It will be pruning time soon. That should make it bloom again, a real treat since the fragrance is swoon-worthy.

If you've left a comment here in the last few days, you'll see I enabled comment moderation. Between spam and the haters on the Internet - the majority of whom are anonymous - I decided, like so many bloggers before me, that it was best to screen comments. This week as we all cried for the victims of Oklahoma City, some full-of-herself, probably undereducated troll1 decided to scold everyone who called for storm shelters and safe rooms, citing a political blog satire as her source. I immediately deleted her comment, so then she left one on a makeup feature complaining like a five-year-old that her comment had been deleted. I don't have time for that immature intrusion here - or anywhere else for that matter. Dear Ms. Troll, anyone who claims to have strong opinions should cite legitimate sources to back them up. There's quite a difference between facts and opinions. It's also clear that you don't read well. As for your threat to stop reading Best Things in Beauty, perhaps you should. My readers are classy women, with taste, style, intelligence, and compassion.

This isn't the first time hate comments have happened. It happens on all blogs. With comment moderation, it will be the last here. My readers deserve better. Sometimes there's a fine line between snark and a comment that should be published. When that happens, I usually consult another blogger for an independent opinion.

As I read the hater comments on The Voice postings on Facebook (can't people all acknowledge that the finalists are all good?), I realized that the Internet comments have become a way for the disaffected, miserable souls of the world to voice their unhappiness that everyone doesn't agree with them. They remind me of the Westboro Baptist Church, despicable people who protest at the funerals of our soldiers. This week, Fred Phelps Jr., the son of Westboro Baptist Church "minister" Fred Phelps, linked the devastation from the F-5 tornado that hit Moore, Oklahoma to the Oklahoma Thunder's support for openly gay NBA basketball star Jason Collins. Really? To me, the members of that so-called church are terrorists - real life reflecting the ugliness of the Internet. One of the saddest things I've witnessed is a soldier's funeral at Arlington Cemetery. Why would anyone try to hurt the family?

I am trying to approve comments as quickly as possible, but I do sleep (not always well lately). Nighttime comments will suffer a time delay, particularly for those who are in Europe or Asia. My apologies, but I've been reviewing and approving them as soon as I get up, using my iPad in bed. I had a slew of them to approve this morning. Actually, I won't miss the morning ritual of deleting spam, often nonsensical posts with a link. While I was writing this feature, I got a spam comment directing readers to a site on growing hair. It was posted on the Camellia Face Oil feature.

One comment I didn't approve this week because it was off-topic was a good question from Leora. Can anyone help her out? I believe her fave was a limited edition, gone for good. I can't find it here at home, though, to do comparisons.

Totally off topic need help - I have a quick question maybe you can help me out since you seem to know your stuff. My FAVORITE eyeliner was the Giorgio Armani La Femme Bleue in Leaf Green. Do you know any color by any brand that even comes close to that, since I cant find not even one left not even on eBay. Thanks.

Last weekend, I had a good cry as I watched the YouTube tape of the first interviews with the police officers who came upon and freed Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight, and Gina DeJesus. If you haven't seen this and want to know what happened the moment those women were freed, check out this link.

Switching subjects, did you know that Jennifer Aniston is a co-owner of Living Proof? There is was in Bazaar, which I was reading at the hair salon last night. Was I the last one to know that?


Remember that Guerlain's limited-edition Terra Nerolia ($69.00) bronzer will make an appearance within the next week! This exquisite oversized face and body bronzer showcases a dazzling sun icon comprised of shimmering peach, bronze, and gold shades. When marrying the three shades together with each brushstroke, the gold infuses throughout, resulting in a subtle satiny sheen. In line with the Terracotta collection, Terra Nerolia is scented with the alluring tiare flower. If you want to pre-order from the Guerlain boutique, give Rhonda a call at (702) 732-7008. If you are on the East Coast, remember that they are on Pacific Time.

Remember your sunscreen this weekend! It's supposed to be sunny here, so an SPF 50 would be appropriate. I heard that you can only count on a two-year life span for sunscreens, so if you plan to be outdoors, remember to pick up a new one today.

Important discount announcement...
Beautyhabit is offering a 20% discount this weekend on all color (makeup). Use the code SUMMERCOLOR through May 27. You can use it on Rouge Bunny Rouge!

This week's giveaway contest ends tomorrow, Saturday, May 25. If you'd like to enter to win YSL's Effect Faux Cils Crème d'Eyeliner in Jade Black, just leave a comment. Good luck! Just because, I think I'll do a flash giveaway over the weekend - for all of you who stay home and read blogs. You deserves some excitement!

1 In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or ugly off-topic messages in an online community. We're not talking about supernatural beings in Norse mythology and Scandinavian folklore.

Photo at top by Best Things in Beauty; other photo courtesy of Guerlain

32 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Wow! Thanks for the BeautyHabit sale alert - I was just having a hankering for RBR. And thanks for taking the extra effort to keep the blog classy. You're the best, CG!

Eileen said...

That's such a pretty rose, Charlestongirl. This past month my roses have gone crazy. I have vases of them in the house and still have an abundance of blooms on the bushes. They grow like weeds in our climate :-)

As a long time reader of BTiB, I've seen it grow in scope and readership. Your readers are an intelligent, thoughtful, compassionate, and supportive group of people who have found in BTiB a beautiful place to spend a few moments of the day. We might not always agree with each other or what's been posted, but we're always respectful towards each other. Do whatever you need to do to preserve that environment. I don't think any of us mind having to wait a bit for our comments to appear if it prevents BTiB from being overrun by the ugliness and filth that is troll spawn.

With the bright and sunny weather we've been having, I'm finally beginning to get in the mood for warmer, sunnier makeup looks to go with the more vibrant colors all around me--just in time for Tierra Neroli :-). Bronzer/blusher combinations really seem to be trending this year and Guerlain's looks like a lovely addition. I've been living inTF lately, but I'm thinking how beautiful Terra Neroli will be July into August when the weather heats up and So Cal's young beauties are sporting deeper, warmer bronze tones. Not that I'm young or a beauty, but I can dream :-)

Speaking of Guerlain, I've been very pleased with their new Maxi Lash. In addition to adding volumn and length, it does a wonderful job of holding my lashes up all day. I also like that the brush is not "super-sized" so I can get the lower and corner lashes without getting mascara on my lids. It's expensive, but Nordstrom is having their mascara madness Saturday so it brings the price down considerably. Good time to stock up.

Have a great weekend everyone.

lovethescents said...

Well my goodness, I'm grateful that you are moderating comments, Charlestongirl, thank you. I haven't read anything inappropriate on your blog, and I'm thankful since I come here for light chit chat, knowledge, reviews, and fun. And why shouldn't I? It's what Best Things in Beauty is about!

This week I've been trying to get my makeup bag organized for our 2 week getaway. I have a lovely eyeshadow palette with a blusher, I have a travel-sized Benefit mascara, and I've chosen three out of four lippies to take along. It's all so exciting! I've also chosen a few perfumes as well. I did notice, though, that my favorite rose gold shadow is no more. I need another one. That will be the research over the next couple of weeks, I think. Now that's MY kind of research!

Finally, after discussion with some friends and colleagues in health care, I've decided to never get a professional pedicure again (yes, I do my own manis). How certain are we that tools and equipment are properly steralized? We're trusting our very health with these salons. No thanks!

No sunscreen needed here this weekend. Rainy, 14C, and windy, all weekend long :( My poor, baby tomato plants!

Nemo said...

Today I wore LMDB Cherry Blossom eye kit, and the new Guerlain Cherry Blossom lipstick. Wow! They match! I bought them because Cg enabled me, haha! I bought the Guerlain Bronze Ora, too, and the Tom Ford. Now I want the DG Smokey eye quad. It's new, and appears to be the newest stuff from Dolce and Gabbana. Really, though, I think it's prudent to save up for the fall CHANEL. I want everything. Don't know what I'd do without your blog, and you, Cg! And I love that beautiful rose! You must have something in life that makes you happy, especially these days. Yesterday I got an injured possum out of the road, holding newspapers to his sides as I lifted him to safety. he'd been hit by a car. I didn't take that route today because I didn't want to see anything bad. Your rose made me feel better.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, CG.
You are an inspiration to me.
I treasure your blog & not simply for the make-up advice. I think "Best Things in Beauty" represents a certain mindset,the Beauty aspect is not just about cosmetics. I just had to post a quick appreciative/supportive msg.

Jo said...

Hi CG and everyone,

Just popping in to say that Terra Nerolia is now available on Bloomingdales website in case anyone is interested. There is also something new coming from Bobbi Brown, her nude and navy collection. If you go to Barneys.com you can preorder the new highlighter and nail polish there. The highlighter is like the shimmer bricks but four squares. It's supposed to be available in June. Maybe Neiman's will have it in time for Camp Gorgeous.

Happy long weekend, everyone!

Anahita said...

I don't know why people have to be so hateful and cruel. I overheard somebody at work ( they weren't exactlysubtle) telling another co worker about my ridiculous obsession with makeup and the amount of money I have spent over the years. I thought we were friends. I never expected to be judged so harshly and now feel ashamed of my hobby. Needless to say I will never talk to her about my love of makeup ever again.

On a totally unrelated topic, I just got a sample of the new CC cream from Chanel. I plan to try it out this weekend even though its going to be cold and rainy here in Philadelphia.

Anonymous said...

Don't we all face enough ugliness in life without contributing? I promise I will not get started on a mini rant regarding religion and the ugliness that exists there in the guise of good. More like sanctimony and righteousness that shows no understanding or compassion for others. I'm happy to have comments moderated and this, the audience here on BTIN, are wonderfully sophisticated and open-minded people. Certainly, everyone has strong opinions and surely we are entitled to them. How we voice your opinion while still showing respect to others who do not share the same views is key.

Gosh, makeup has not been on my mind this week, but just for random commentary, I would like to thank Eileen for her vote on the Guerlain meteorites primer. I received mine last week and it's just the bomb! :) for lack of better terminology..teehee..

Have a great weekend CG, and everyone. Roses always remind me of my dear grandmother and make me nostalgic for her powdery, rosy smell and wonderful smile!

Melanie said...

It’s really unfortunate that people continue to abuse the privilege of leaving comments on blogs, especially this one! I don’t understand it. I see it on Facebook, too, where, for the most part, they give up the cloak of anonymity to spew their virulence. Why follow something if it is hated so much? Is there that much loathing in the world? Yesterday, I was asked by a group that is fighting for the same health/environmental cause that I have been for the last four years to give a quote for publication in a local paper. When I asked my husband what he thought, he surprised me. Instead of telling me to go for it, which he invariably does, he said that he wasn’t sure that it was a good idea. His reason: he didn’t know how he would be able to cope if my name got slandered in the comments. The trolls abound and I wish that they would leave this blog alone. I hope that the moderating doesn’t add too much work for you, CG. I learn so much from the readers here and am so glad to have it as a resource.

I would like to say thank you to Tracy, if she is reading this. You recommended the Shu Uemura brow pencil in Stone Gray to me last week in the Friday Forum. I have ordered it and think (or hope, rather) that it has been shipped! One question: does it really require special sharpening? I live light years away from the nearest Shu counter.

I love that rose! It has finally occurred to me that that is a fragrance that I love. Strange Invisible make a beautiful perfume by the name of Prima Ballerina that is the perfect blend of rose and musk. I hope to order it soon.

Enjoy the long weekend if you are in the US or the UK! We had ours last week in Canada. Where I am, it was dark, gray and rainy, and I loved it! Like a BBC Mystery!

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Elizabeth. I'm making a Beautyhabit list. Wish it was site-wide! :)

Jo said...

Hi Melanie,

I just want to second your recommendation of Strange Invisible Perfumes Prima Ballerina. I am not really into perfume but I did get some of their samples and the Prima ballerina is heavenly. I want a bottle too.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen, thanks!

You remind me that I have a sample of Guerlain's mascara, and I forgot to try it! You know you're behind when you forget cool stuff.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh, Lovethescents, I wouldn't get a pedicure or manicure. I'm a germ phobe. The whole idea gives me the chills. You're right. About the only thing you can do is buy and bring your own tools, something growing numbers of women are doing.

Charlestongirl said...

Oh Nemo, did you take the little guy for help? That makes me so sad. I don't understand why people won't slow down to let animals pass.

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Anonymous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Jo!

I got a call from Las Vegas after I went to bed last night. No message. I wonder...

Maybe I'll pop over to Bloomies tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anahita!

She is jealous. I'd steer clear of her.

I'm very curious about the CC cream. Can't wait!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Wwendalynne!

Roses are nostalgic. Isn't that primer amazing?

That one so-called church makes me think we need to revisit free speech.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melanie!

Your husband was right. Recently, I commented on Twitter saying I preferred Shakira to Christina as a coach on the Voice. The Christina-obsessed morons went after me. I had to block them all, all the while thinking there are too many people with IQs below 80. :)

Do you have Shu counters? All if them in the US were closed. Now, it's mail order only.

Today was dark, windy, and cold. I just turned the heat back on! Tomorrow is supposed to be better.

Claire said...

I feel the anonymity of the internet often brings the worst in people, really. I'm just sadden by the numerous negative comments I see everywhere, even in the worst of times/tragedy: is this the fate of what my children will see in the future -- uncivilized society albeit in words? So yes, CG, clean them up! It's your blog and it reflects you as well. This is why so many of us come here instead of somewhere else.

The beautyhabit code is really tempting! I've never tried RBR but always tempted, I've had several items on my wishlist now.

And also what a lovely rose! I wish any of us here has a smidgen of green thumb like yours.

I hope you have a good Memorial Day weekend!

bisbee said...

Just placed a Beautyhabit order - thanks!

Regarding manicures and pedicures - I've been going to the same tech for about 8 years - followed her to several salons, and she now has her own. She takes very good care of my nails...I can't imagine doing them myself. Especially the pedicure...no way I can duplicate that perfection! Never ever had a problem.

Becca @ The Beauty Sample said...

I'm sorry that internet trolls have forced you to moderate all comments, CG--it's always such a shame to see people behave badly on the internet :/ But if that's what you have to do to preserve the integrity of this forum, then by all means--your loyal readers won't mind at all!

Oh gosh and about the Westboro Baptist "Church", disgusted doesn't even begin to describe how I feel every time I hear about another of their desperate pleas for attention. They are the lowest of the low and to do it all in "God's name" is such blasphemy. They are sick, sick people and I have no doubt in my mind that they'll be going to hell for what they've done. That's just my opinion though.

That being said, I am SO excited that Terra Nerolia will finally be available! I have been waiting impatiently since first learning about it! I love Guerlain's bronzers!

Charlestongirl said...

Claire, some plants will perform no matter what you do. Give it a try. I did stop using chemicals in the garden, so my roses suffer from black spot. Oh well. At least I know I'm not poisoning the Chesapeake Bay.

Browse through my RBR features by using the search box on the right sidebar. Enter "Rouge Bunny Rouge." Hope you will see some temptations.

As for Internet anonymity, it seems only slight worse than the uncivilized, attributable words spoken these days. I just read that a female Fox reporter said on the air that she wanted to punch the President. Class? None. Crass? You bet.

Charlestongirl said...

Actually, I'd love to see her arrested for the threat, but the President doesn't need to swat gnats.

Charlestongirl said...

Bisbee, many of us don't have regulars we can count on. Hence the fear. :)

I still haven't ordered. Paralyzed by the I-wants.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey, Becca, most of us are hoping there's a special place in hell for those people.

I can't wait to get my Guerlain beauty! I hope it's everything I'm expecting.

Nemo said...

No, I carried him out of the road to a grassy area. I have rescued wild animals in the past, and taken them to vets, but, while the vets try to save them, they tell me wild animals go into shock more often and die from that. So I did what I could and prayed to St. Francis. You'll love this, Cg: when I was a kid, I wrote to whoever was the then president of the US, and submitted my idea for fences along highways to prevent animals from being hit. I never heard back. YOU would have written back!

Melanie said...

Good question about Shu in Canada! What an odd model for the US. The line came to Canada about four years ago and was sold exclusively at Holt Renfrew. I am not near one, but their web-site lists it as a brand that they carry. My brow pencil was shipped from Montréal (and will take a week to get here. If I hopped on a plane, I'd be there in three hours ...).

My husband was recently attacked by name in the on-line comments of a local newspaper. Was disturbing. And we know who it was. The psychopath used the same pseudonym as he used on his router when he was our neighbour.

Pedicure topic: one of my oldest friends is an esthetician. She knows how picky I am, so always uses new everything. It helps to have a rapport with someone. I have never had the same results when I do it on my own.

Eileen said...

Good morning Tatcha lovers,

I was scrolling through Popsugar last night and came across a promotion for 15% off everything at Tatcha. The code is POPSUGAR and is good until June 5. I used the link to access the site so I don't know whether or not you have to go through Popsugar to use the code. I ordered another hydrating spray (love!) and thought I'd give their new camillia oil a try. The 15% off definitely sweetened the deal :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Melanie,

It is a measure of our society that people think it's OK to say whatever comes to mind. No matter whether it's rude, snarky, or hurtful. Their opinions are the only ones. I used to think it started with the TV show Rosanne.

The unfortunate result is that legit discourse is suppressed, and the snarks win. Sad.

You have a great esthetician!

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen, if my wallet weren't bleeding...

Charlestongirl said...

This is totally irreverent, but priceless. There is a person on Twitter called The Tweet of God. Today, the tweet was...

@TheTweetOfGod: When people say bad things about Me it's hurtful because, though perfect, omnipotent and incomprehensibly transcendent, I'm very sensitive.

I had to laugh because of our conversation about haters. BTW, I am not a follower, but saw it when it was retweeted by someone I follow. God has a huge following. On Twitter. Who knew?