Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chanel Métamorphose Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow from the L'Été Papillon de Chanel Collection for Summer 2013

Chanel's limited-edition Métamorphose Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow ($59) is and may continue to be exclusive to Chanel.com and the Chanel boutiques. Introduced with the L'Été Papillon de Chanel Collection for Summer 201, it carries the butterfly theme into an exquisite eye shadow quad of blues and greens, touched by green gold.

I thought I had ordered Métamorphose (#44) online weeks ago. After eagerly awaiting its arrival for a week, I called Chanel and asked about its whereabouts. To make a long store short, I had placed it in my shopping cart, but I had never completed the order. Yikes! How crazy is that? I called a local Chanel rep, learned that our stores would not be receiving it, and then placed my order. It came promptly. I'm blessed that I'm geographically close to Chanel's distribution center.

I did a little happy dance when it arrived. If my back weren't in such bad shape, I might have done a leap toward the sky, kicking my heels together. This palette is magnificent. I wondered out loud recently about a Dior palette I thought might be similar. It's not; this one's much prettier (in my not-so-humble opinion).

The aqua shade is a knock-out and contrasts beautifully with the icy blue next to it. The indigo blue is sheer and sultry. The counterpoint to the blues and greens is a subtle gold.

The shades are as sheer as a butterfly's wings, so I had to swatch heavily. I used my usual sponge-tipped applicators and took my photos in full, late-morning sun.

I swatched in clockwise order, starting with the stunningly beautiful aqua at the top of my arm. It's the most pigmented shade in the quad, and it gives me goosebumps. You can see my swatch is much larger than the others. I kept painting because I wanted you to see what I saw: a magnetic color.

The icy blue works beautifully with either the aqua or the indigo swatched below it. All three together? Magic!  My photos show a very heavy swatch of the indigo blue. It is sheer and applies sheerly with a brush. I layered it to ensure even color in my photos.

The gold shade carries a lime hue. Also sheer on application, it's very hard to see on my arm that it leans lime (sorry). It provides a shine and a nuanced contrast. It's not one of those no-pigment sparklers; it's just sheer. While I adore Métamorphose, those who insist on highly pigmented eye shadows may not.

I can't wait for the perfect day and perfect outfit to wear Métamorphose. Given the late turn of the weather toward spring, that should be soon.

You can purchase Chanel Métamorphose Les 4 Ombres Quadra Eyeshadow, along with the rest of the summer colors, at Chanel's Web site.

Photo at top courtesy of Chanel; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

14 comments:

Christina said...

Oh, the quad is in the baked version. This make sense for Chanel: color, but nothing too crazy and vibrant. Plus, you can probably use it wet for more color payoff and intensity. How pretty!

Melanie said...

This is beautiful! I think that you will love it. You are so lucky to be able to order from Chanel.com -- I wish I could. And I love that "Buy the Entire Collection" button. Maybe it's just as well that I can't, then ...

We just got the collection in Canada and this is one thing that I did not order. Now I am thinking that perhaps I should have!

Chanel has always done the best blues. My favourites have been Les Jeans from 2003, the Train bleu duo and last year's Blue Illusion collection (I still wear Apparition and Destination regularly). I have adored them all. I was very eager to try the Stylo Eyeshadow, so I ordered three of those instead, one of which Blue Ray. Can't wait for it to arrive! Thank you for the swatches -- I bought everything sight unseen!

Midwestern Mama said...

Stunning. Thank you for posting!

Anonymous said...

Would Love If You Could Do A Swatch Wet?

Rosemary said...

CG, you know my love for Chanel, but I have to say that I ordered this, tried to work with it, and sent it back. For some reason, I thought the texture would be like the Harmonie du Soir quad from Christmas. It's not. It's the baked formula which I don't care for. I found application to be patchy and the color payoff poor. I have seen swatches online where the shadows were applied wet, and the pigmentation was much better. However, for $59 I don't want to have to apply the shadows wet.

I must say this is just my personal preference. I was quite taken with that green, but I think I can pick up Jade Shore if I really want that color.

Rosemary

Charlestongirl said...

Christina, true. I like the colors sheer, but you could liven them up with a damp applicator.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melanie,

Blues can be so hard for me to wear, but I love the indigo in this palette.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Midwestern Mama!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Rosemary,

Sorry you didn't like it, but there's always something around the corner that you will love.

Charlestongirl said...

Anonymous, there are wet swatches here: http://2lookandbehappy.com/2013/04/26/chanel-summer-2013-les-4-ombres-metamorphose-44-review-swatches-and-look/

Delleis said...

I got the quad as well and I really like it. I didn't find it too sheer, and as pale as I am, it works well :). I think it's really pretty and wearable. I know this summer seems like the year of blue green palettes, but I like this one a lot. It's not too cliched in the chosen shades. I like these better than the stylos. Those feel nice, but I just am not as thrilled with the one I got.

angusmum1 said...

This looks so lovely and modern wearable for the blues. I wear navy and other aqua type liners but havent worn blue shadows much for years. I think the subtlety makes it a good choice for more people. I so appreciate being abl to open your mail and find all the great info about the products, am learning so much, thanks CG and everyone else for your combined knowege

Christina said...

Hello! I think this is a beautiful set, but I want to stick with the cream eyeshadows for this summer. I've learned a combination of colours that would look good for my blue eyes and I hope they don't fade as quickly.

Normally, I don't wear blue eyeshadows, but this is an exception!

xAnoukx said...

I love the palette but blues look so weird on me :S