Monday, May 20, 2013

Chantecaille Retinol Hand Cream

Not long ago, and for reasons I don't understand, Chantecaille promoted its Retinol Hand Cream ($75) to the New Products section of its Web site. I mentioned here that it was new, but learned that it wasn't. I asked my contact there why it had been listed as "new," but never received an answer.

I ordered it anyhow and have been very happy with it. Retinol Hand Cream is a healing treatment - specially developed for the hands - that clarifies, softens, and restructures the skin. Marine collagen-wrapped nanospheres of retinol are delivered to the deepest layers of the epidermis, re-texturizing skin from within and reducing hyper-pigmentation. The result is renewed, refreshed, and rejuvenated extremities.

As with many Chantecaille products, Retinol Hand Cream is filled with botanicals. Retinol Hand Cream is 92% natural and includes a healing base of pure rosewater; it's paraben-free and vegan-friendly.

Lemon extract, white lily bulb, bearberry leaf extract, and mulberry root all help to clarify skin and lighten hyper-pigmentation. Vitamin C (from fresh oranges) and ascorbic acid protect the skin from free-radical damage and aid in cellular repair. Magnesium, shea butter and carob fruit extract work together to regenerate the skin's cells. Grape seed oil, olive leaf extract, and vitamin E are an effective combination of natural antioxidants for healing damage created by exposure to the sun. Edelweiss extract, derived from a wild mountain flower, provides a natural UVA/UVB sunscreen with SPF 6-8. Since I've been using it at night, the sunscreen is largely irrelevant to me. I can't use treatment products on my hands during the day because I wash them to often.

It offers beautiful aromatherapy benefits, with a rose scent that "soothes and centers, opening the heart and imparting a sense of well-being."  That's a nice way to go to sleep at night.

As a rule, I cannot use products containing retinol. You've read that here before. I have been successful with a small number of products in which the retinol is encapsulated, which Chantecaille does. Relatively recent industry claims have been made that the encapsulation delivers the retinol to deeper layers of the skin to prevent the surface irritation and burning I experience from the chemical. Based on this product and Le Métier de Beauté's skin care, I have to conclude there's something to that claim.

After 10 continuous days of use, Retinol Hand Cream has started to improve the look of my hands. For years I've used a glycolic-acid-based product at night, especially in the winter, but now I have a new option. I like the idea of lighter sun spots and fewer wrinkles around my knuckles. While I'm not ready for cosmetic surgery (see The Future of Anti-Aging for Hands), I would like to intervene before it's too late.

Chantecaille's Retinol Hand Cream can be found at Chantecaille counters and the company's Web site.

Photo courtesy of Chantecaille

9 comments:

Virginie said...

This looks lovely!

Charlestongirl said...

And it is, Virginie, like all Chantecaille products. The only disadvantage? It's pricey.

Eileen said...

Our poor hands take such a beating--at least mine do. I wish I had taken better care of them throughout the years. Why is it that most women think nothing of pampering their faces and yet they neglect their hands? I'm sure the cost is the main factor, but people who are deterred by the cost of luxury brands can still find loads of reasonably priced products that will do a great job if used consistently. And, that's really the key, isn't it? Consistency. A good exfoliating moisturizer and a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 reapplied numerous times throughout the day will go a long way towards protecting the hands. And while we're at it, why not the forearms? After all, the hand bone's connected to the arm bone; the arm bone's connected to the . . . :-) I guess my philosophy is, if the skin's exposed to the sun, give it the same loving, nurturing care you'd give your face.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen,

I never stop at my wrists when applying cream or lotion. I keep going to my elbows at least. I know it helps keep my thin skin from cracking open with the slightest bump. :)

Unfortunately, for me, hand cream, no matter how often applied during the day, is a goner very fast. I am such a germ-phobe, I wash my hands a lot. You'd think I worked in a hospital. The good news is that since I started that practice, I've managed to avoid most of the viruses floating around.

I apply something that smells nice. Keep it on my desk. Expect it to have no more than an hour's life. If I'm going to be outdoors, that's a whole 'nother story. Must have SPF 50.

Unknown said...

CG, do you find this(or you former BHA cream) makes your skin more sensitive to sun exposure? If so, do you combat that with any sunscreen-containing creams? I've been looking at the Deborah Lippman cream w/sunscreen, but keep hesitating. I'm about to turn 30, and finally taking preventative steps to sun exposure as my skin changes.

Anonymous said...

I am looking for good anti-age hand cream. Currently using Clarins and L'occitane hand creams ( I have tried la mer and darphin). Any rec?

Kash

Christina said...

Hi! I've used the retinol body lotion and it is very nice that leave your skin feeling ultra smooth. A cheaper version is Lac-Hydrin AHA 12%.

Chantecaille is worth looking into.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Christina,

I use Lac-Hydrin. It is glycolic acid, not retinol. Great product!

Charlestongirl said...

Erin, yes. I have to carefully wear sunscreen for any prolonged exposure. I like SPF 50. My doctor wants me to get a little sun because I am vitamin D deficient.