Monday, January 16, 2012

The Best and Worst Looks from the 2012 Golden Globes Ceremony

There were so many beautiful women (and men) at last night's Golden Globes ceremony. I was following Twitter as I watched the red carpet arrivals and during the ceremony, and I concluded that there was absolutely no consensus on the best and worst fashion and looks. One second someone would Tweet that "so and so" had a glorious look; the next, another would Tweet that it was horrid. So goes the diversity of opinions.

It will be no different here. I'm sure that what I liked will be panned by someone out there. What I didn't like may make the "best" lists. Let's start with my dislikes. Michelle Williams and Madonna are at the top of the list. It can only go up from there.

I thought Michelle Williams' headband was hideous. I can live with her pixie hair style. The dorky headband distracted from her gorgeous cut-velvet blue dress. She certainly didn't need it to keep her hair out of her eyes. Why didn't she wear a Marilyn look?

The pretentious Madonna landed on my worst-looks list the moment I saw her. The squished look made it appear that she had purposefully selected a dress that was two sizes too small. That plus her one glove look and weight-lifting arms made her look ridiculous. She already sounds silly with her British accent.

What looks did I love? Let's start with Charlize Theron. Shown at the top of this feature in her Dior gown, with a headband that coordinated with her gown's waist detail and clutch, along with side-swept hair, she was a vision - like a Greek Goddess. The stars who've been around for awhile showed the new arrivals how it's done!

Jessica Alba glowed. I'd love to know what illuminator she wore. Her pale lavender Gucci gown was stunning on her. She accessorized with Giuseppe Zanotti shoes, Bulgari jewels, and a Roger Vivier bag.

Tina Fey was on fire in her red-purple Oscar de la Renta tulle, strapless, embroidered gown and clutch, finished with Kwiat jewelry. The look may be the best I've ever seen her wear.

Laura Dern wore one of my favorite gowns of the night. Designed by Andrew Gn, it complimented her coloring and figure perfectly.

Nicole Richie has to have taken home the best-hair award. Created with Suave Beauty's new Keratin Infusion products, she was a vision in her retro ponytail. I loved the look! Combined with the Julien Macdonald gown, she channeled old-fashioned glamour.

Other looks I loved? Reese Witherspoon, Felicity Huffman (wasn't that song fabulous?), Elle McPherson, Jody Foster, Lea Michele, Dianna Agron (whose lips matched her dress perfectly, but it seemed to go unnoticed because of Angelina), Jessica Biel (whose Bohemian-luxury hair style was created with Alterna Bamboo products), and Frieda Pinto (navy gown, citron gems - gorgeous).

My heart belonged to the dog Uggie from The Artist (who stole the show) and Octavia Spencer. Spencer proved that overweight women can look elegant and glamorous. I suppose I could use the latest politically correct term, "curvy," but overweight seems more appropriate here. Her look was exquisite, and her heart-warming acceptance speech ensured I'll be seeing The Help.

Who were your favorites? I've missed a lot of men and women whose appearance was stunning - one way or the other. You may notice I didn't mention some of super-celebrities. There's a reason.

Photos courtesy of various Internet sites

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suppose its a matter of taste, but I thought Williams looked lovely, young and fresh. (Perhaps, some counterprograming to her role as an "aging"* ailing Monroe.) I loved the headband; it made it looked like she was a real person, in her favorite dress, rather than some unobtainable stylist's vision.

Theron, on the other hand looked one millimeter away from overdone. Yes, she is probably one of the few woman in human history who could wear that gown, yes, a Holllywood award ceremony is probable one of the few occasions for which wearing such a large gown is possible (try wearing that thing to a prom or a charity ball, everyone will step on it and you couldn't dance). But it still looked more like a show off statement than a dress.

I agree with you on Olivia Spencer. Again some more counterprograming, she plays a maid so she dresses in loads of silk and jewels.

I agree that the dog was really special; it tied with Jolie for best dressed. (Sorry Angela, for comparing you to a dog on of your most glamorous nights ever. On the other hand, the dog probably did not have to starve itself for three days to get into its skin)



*I believe Monroe turned 30, or was about to turn 30, which was considered aging in the 50's.

Fab Over 40 said...

Meryl Streep has to win the worst look of the night award. With her hair in a banana clip and her Jessie the Yodeling Cowgirl from Toy Story 2 outfit - she could not have been any worse. Such a lovely lady with such bad taste.

Evelyn said...

My loves: Angelina Jolie's dress and that lovely red lipstick but Nicole Kidman looked amazing in her dress. She's had some misses of late but that dress was something else. Laura Dern also grabbed my eye, the dress was definitely made for her. Charlize Theron, I thought looked great as well.

Not so hot: I liked the color of Tina Fey's dress for her but I feel she's a little petite for that style with so much frou frou at the bottom. Madonna...needs to stop altering her face and the super tight dress brought me back to "Just like a Prayer" times. Then there was Piper Pirabo in a tent. I thought Lea Michele's dress was kind of aging, reminding me of Dynasty. There was also a white dress that looked like it was made of layers of lacy white curtains.

I think the highlight above all the dresses were the amazing jewels they were wearing, particularly in earrings, i.e. Julianna Margulies, Kate Beckinsale, Nicole Ritchie, Octavia Spencer, etc. I do love beautiful hanging earrings.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi friends,

I commented already. You know how I feel. Thanks for your additions!

Fab, it was sad. I wasn't going to mention her, but...

Viking Beauty said...

Tilda Swinton, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, and Laura Dern were all lovely.

Meryl Streep could show up in blue jeans and they would still give her the award and everyone would continue to worship her. blah blah blah. I thought Jessica Lange looked horrible. All I could think about was how I would fix her.

Mamavalveeta03 said...

I'm a big Michelle Williams fan all of the time, although I can't say that I love the width of the headband: smaller would be better in this case.
I'm so glad you said what you did about Madonna's look, because I thought maybe I was being overly critical. It was a "NO" any way you cut it.
Meryl, Meryl...I love ya' but you've got to dress like the queen you are!!
Helen Mirren got it right. Totally right.
Angelina Jolie: A++++++
And Laura Dern, gorgeous.
I'm almost longing for the day when stars didn't have stylists and they made horrendous mistakes. It's fun to see the gorgeous dresses at awards shows, but everyone looks almost TOO good! I need to laugh, too!! C'mon stars, mess up a little!