Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Laura Mercier Lip Shine from the Lingerie Collection for Spring 2012

Laura Mercier has a beautiful, warm Lingerie Collection for Spring 2012. Tempted by everything, but constrained by my wallet, I choose the new Tempting Coral Lip Shine ($22), a shade that you have to try to believe it's real.

Glance at Tempting Coral in the display, and you might have the same first reaction I did. I thought I saw "just another coral" - not the best shade for me. Once you open the top of the pot, you're likely to see a vibrant coral with gold flecks. If you're not a "coral person," you might close the pot without trying it. Don't make that mistake!

Look at this beauty in the pot in sunshine. I held it to face the sun directly so that I could show you the beautiful golden flecks. The Lip Shine is perfectly smooth on the lips (no gritty feel at all), so the glimmer is coming from the miracles of modern color technology.

Tempting Coral undergoes a miracle transformation on the lips. I can't explain it. It's rose - beautiful, shining, gleaming, lively rose with just a hint of coral and definitely gold in the shine. I know the color miracle isn't simply an anomaly with my skin or my lips because it did the same thing on my sales associate at Neiman Marcus.

Check out my swatch photos. I took them on a frigid cold day. Fortunately, we had sun, but it did little to warm up my body. Normally, after taking photos of a product, I'd go back inside to find the right tool to apply a swatch on my arm. Then I'd head back outside to take swatch photos. With the Tempting Coral Lip Shine, the right tool would have been a lip brush. I was so cold I couldn't imagine an extra trip. So I swatched using my finger to apply the Lip Shine to my arm. That works perfectly on my lips, but left a slightly ragged swatch for my photos as I tried to even out the top of the application.

Isn't the color gorgeous? I have to describe it as Tempting Rose, despite its coral name. I can't see the coral once the color leaves the pot. I'll be curious to know how it looks on you. Please let me know if you've tried it.

The swatch photo directly above captured the way the exquisite golden flecks sparkle on the lips. Lip Shine is said to "add a touch of polish to the lips with a lightweight, pearlescent gloss finish." Iridescent may be a better description than pearlescent, but I won't quarrel with perfection. Tempting Coral is drop-dead gorgeous. I am so glad I didn't miss it.

Just in case you haven't tried Laura Mercier's Lip Shines, they feel great on the lips. They are extremely hydrating, but feel almost weightless. They aren't at all sticky or gooey. Even though the ingredients list "flavor," they have no taste I can discern. All of their qualities make up for the pot style, which isn't my favorite. I'd rather have a tube and a wand, keeping my fingers clean.

You can purchase the Lingerie Collection at Neiman Marcus, where I did, or at other department store counters. I've seen it at Bloomingdale's (where an aggressive sales person drove me off) and Nordstrom (where I was allowed to shop in peace). It's also available at Laura Mercier's Web site, where you can see and shop the whole Lingerie Collection. It's a beautiful collection. I'd love to try the palette, but my bank account needs some time to recover from Christmas. I bought too many gifts - for myself.

Photos at top courtesy of Laura Mercier; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

16 comments:

Evelyn said...

My wallet feels your pain. This collection looks very pretty but I'm being seduced by Nars' spring offerings right now. I thought I would escape it but no. The wallet groans in contemplation of it.

Liz said...

hmmm....I told myself that I can only pick one b/w this and LMdB HibiKiss. I like the pigmentation of this but I am a big fan of "not sticking my finger in lip product." What to do, what to do....What should I do?

nikki said...

"Tempted by everything, but constrained by my wallet",love that!!I must have this! I have never tried one of these before. The color looks amazing!

Leigh said...

I was going to write a feature on this collection tonight! The combination of sweet peaches and soft shadows caught my eye out of all the displays. I picked up both Lip Shines, as Naked Apricot actually shows up on me as a light coral. My Tempting Coral was the last one in stock at my Nordstrom; this color is going to be popular.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn!

You really must take a look at this collection. I'll bet you come away with at least one thing. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Liz,

I assume that's a rhetorical question. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Nikki, the color is amazing. I'll be eager to hear how it looks on all of you!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh!

Naked Apricot is apricot on me. This one was the surprise. Can't wait to see your feature and how Tempting Coral looks on your skin.

DivaDebbi said...

I'm crazy about their glosses to CG! I always think they taste vaguely of creme brulee. They are definitely amongst my favorites. The finish is lovely and they are never sticky.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Debbi!

Glad I don't taste crème brûlée. I kind of hate that stuff. :)

Doesn't Laura Mercier make A+ makeup?

Mamavalveeta03 said...

Apparently, we're all sharing the post-Christmas, "Why did I buy all of those things?," regret. I am VERY tempted after seeing the swatch and reading that it isn't gritty in your review. Often, sparkly things are. In spite of the lack of $$, I just might have to spring for it when I go to Chicago next weekend!

lovethescents said...

Love your use of the word 'exquisite'. That's exactly how this looks to me...

Kiran said...

oh my gosh...this is beautiful!!

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, MamaVal!

I'm resigned to poverty. Vacations? Never! All my money goes to makeup.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Lovethescents!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Cherry Lane! Dynamite shade!