Friday, January 6, 2012

Guerlain Rouge G for Spring 2012

Guerlain's Rouge G ($48) shades for spring have arrived in stores. Interestingly, the lipsticks to be purchased arrived before the testers. I waited to try the shades before I purchased, and I'm glad I did. My first impression had been to go with the cool pinks. I ended up buying the two warmer pinks.

The four glamorous new shades were created as an ode to pink. With a dash of ruby powder, hyaluronic acid to smooth and plump, a hint of filling guggul resin, plumping tiger grass, and wild mango butter for perfect hydration, your lips will be left radiant - and as soft as a flower petal.

The four limited-edition “Pink Collection” Rouge G shades are #72, Rose Innocent; #73, Rose Ensoleillé; #74, Rose Piquant; and #75, Rose Barbare. Even though I find the Rouge G cases to be too heavy for me, I couldn't resist two of these gorgeous shades. Remember, I'm trying to be more "selective." Plus, there's word that we may see refills some time this year, adding to their allure.


I purchased #73, Rose Ensoleillé, and #74, Rose Piquant. They were the two shades that looked the warmest to my eye. They are shown above in Guerlain's photos as the second and third photo. Rose Innocent (#71) is a very light blue-toned pink (shown at top), and Rose Barbare (#75), shown immediately above, is a vibrant fuchsia pink. Both of my selections are sheer (as are the other two shades), and I'm thrilled with them.

I had to hold the lipsticks to get photos of my new Rouge G's in the tube. Those little rounded bases refused to stand still on the ground. Rose Ensoleillé (#73) is shown at left, and Rose Piquant (#74) is shown below right.

I know the shades don't look significantly different in these photos. I hope you can see that Rose Ensoleillé is much more peach-pink than Rose Piquant. The swatch photos do show that, I think.

I took my swatch photos in full sun, so these beautiful shades reflected light much more than they do on my lips. Both shades are light, sheer (as you can see below), and extremely pretty.

Rose Ensoleillé, shown at the top of my arm, is a peachy pink, not quite as "tangerine" as it looks in the tube, but definitely provides a peach lip on me. It's enormously flattering. Rose Piquant is a pure baby pink, not too blue, not too peach. If anything, it's a little cooler than it appears in the tube - but not much.

Most of my other photos show way too much reflected sunshine. On the lips, these colors gleam. If you want more shine, top them with one of the new KissKiss Glosses. The combinations you'll be able to create for spring are exciting. I know I can't wait that long. I'll be wearing these new Rouge G's immediately.

Look for Guerlain's Spring 2012 Colour Collection now if you want any of the limited-edition shades. The collection has arrived at most Guerlain counters. You should be able to find it this month at select locations at Saks Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Bloomingdale's, and at Bergdorf Goodman. I purchased my treasures at Neiman Marcus.

Top four photos courtesy of Guerlain; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

10 comments:

Eileen said...

As you know from my Friday Forum comment, I succumbed to three of these beautiful springtime shades: the two you bought and the lightest shade, Rose Innocent. I love the satin glow finish and the way these seem to cancel out my lip lines. Soft, smooth, and full is how lips look when dressed in Rouge G. I love this moisturizing formula with its wide range of colors and finishes. The only thing that will make it better, is to have it available in refills :-)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

Rose Innocent was so light, it wouldn't show up on my lips. Decided I didn't need it. I like your description "satin glow." It's a unique finish - one I love. On me, I get a gleam and great hydration. Love!

wendy said...

hi!!! thankyou for all your great and informative reviews!! they are all very helpful and such a great guide before going to the cosmetic counter. i was wondering if the new rouge g's look any similar to chanel's new lippies. especially, chanel's charme, paradis, and flirt. i do tend to buy similar colors! the testers and colors of guerlain have not arrived as of yet. thankyou very much!! p.s. did you actually get to try on the new rouge g mascara? also, i think guerlain's makeup artist is coming to my guerlain counter...pamela morgan??? i'm sure she's very good. have you heard of her? xo.

Charlestongirl said...

Thanks, Wendy!

I LOVE Pamela Morgan. She's really good. I'd like to see her soon. Make an appointment! She's a sweetie.

I have a sample of the Rouge G Noir, but haven't tried it yet. I will soon.

I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons of the new Rouge G shades to Chanel. I'll try to do that later. I just got the Rouge G shades this week. I buy so many colors that are similar, I never dwell on their similarities. I try to judge each independently.

Eileen said...

Hi Wendy,

I've been wearing Noir G de Guerlain Mascara for three days now and like it a lot. My eyelashes are naturally black and reasonably thick so I don't necessarily look for volume. I like separation, a bit of curl, and some length in a black, black mascara that doesn't smudge or flake. Guerlain delivers the goods. If I make a second pass with the wand or do a good wiggle at the base of my lashes, then I also get a lot of volume. The mascara lasts all day on me and removes easily at night. As for the lash treatment aspect of the mascara, it's obviously way too early to pass judgement on that. Will I purchase a refill three months from now? Yes. The case is a bit of a gimmic (I never reapply mascara during the day), but the mascara is quite good and the refills are priced right. I hope this helps a bit.

Apropos the lipsticks, Flirt is one of the Rouge Coco Shines and is nothing like Rouge G in formula or appearance. Flirt is also a more orange-coral color. There is no similar color in Guerlain's spring lineup. Rouge Coco Charm and Paradis are similar in color to two of the new Rouge G, but they are not nearly as smooth and moisturizing. Also, Rouge G has a satiny, soft glow finish that is missing from the Rouge Coco. As much as I like Rouge Coco, I must admit that I passed on the new Chanel because they looked and felt a bit heavy to me.

Lisa said...

If you have the Guelain Rose de Santal lip liner, try it with the Rose Piquant and the new #871 kisskiss gloss. You won't be disappointed. The liner provides a little more dimension to the Rose Piquant, although like you, I love it alone as well.

Lisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eileen said...

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for the tip. I have the liner (love) but haven't worn my Rose Piquant yet. I'll have to give it a try tomorrow :-)

pancho2008 said...

This is way too costly for me. I won't spend more than $25 for a lipstick...I find this price escalation in makeup to be a hideous thing.

Charlestongirl said...

I understand, Pancho. Some can't, and some won't spend that much. There are some beautiful new Revlon lipsticks at the drugstore, and they are every bit as pretty. Check 'em out. Under $10, they are a steal.

I bought several and really hope to feature them next week. I keep getting ambushed by new collections. :)