Monday, January 30, 2012

Giorgio Armani Beauty Waterproof Eye Liner Pencil for Spring 2012

I flipped when I saw Giorgio Armani Beauty's two limited-edition Waterproof Eye Liner Pencils ($27) for Spring 2012. Available in two colors, Antique (#4 - gold) and Copper (#5 - copper peach), they are softly metallic. I bought them both.

These exceptional pencils provide a pure wave of light with an exquisite texture. They will brighten your eyes, giving them the radiance promised by the Luce Collection.

These pencils are remarkably soft and creamy. The color glides onto the eyelids; you won't have to pull, tug, or irritate your eyelids to apply them. Because the formula is water-resistant, the pencils create a long-lasting outline that will stay put all day (or night). I'm not exactly sure why Armani dubbed these "waterproof" when the description says they are water-resistant. It's a distinction that doesn't matter to me.

I don't fall for every metallic eyeliner that comes along. How many can you use? I find these pencils unique because I can wear them during the day without looking like a makeup artist victim. The gals at Neiman Marcus shared a tip with me. Use the Copper shade to line the waterline of your lower lid. Like Le Métier de Beauté's Champagne pencil, Copper will mask any redness and open up your eyes. It looks natural on the waterline, even with its metallic color. You have to see it to understand how unusual it is. It also stays put on the waterline because it's water-resistant.

Linda Cantello recommends that you apply your eye shadow color of choice swept over the entire eyelid. Then use one of the pencils to highlight the inner corners of the eyes. That will open up your eyes in a way that looks more natural than the traditional line at the base of the lashes.

I think these shades are stunning. The gold is a soft metallic gold. Pure, molten metal, it adds pizazz with one of my favorite gold shades. The Copper shade is really shimmering peach. It's so pretty on the eyes (yes, it will make your hazel or green eyes very green), I think I need two. When Giorgio Armani Beauty has introduced this eyeliner formula in the past, it has sold out in a heartbeat. I suspect these liners won't be available for long.

I took my photos in full sun. I never succeed in drawing straight eyeliner swatches on my arm. I have no lashes to guide me. I suppose I should make some little templates, a la Martha Stewart, but I never get around to it. I tried to draw extra-wide lines to show you the colors.

These Armani liners are so creamy - and I knew that when I started to swatch - I broke off the tip of the Antique gold one, simply by applying too much pressure. It's extremely easy to do, so use a very light hand. Also, be aware that you should use very little pressure when you sharpen the pencils. You won't want to waste this gorgeous color; every smidgeon belongs on your eyes, not on a Kleenex destined for the trash.

They are available at Armani Beauty's Web site, and they have finally arrived at Armani counters. I purchased mine, and as soon as I publish this feature, I'm calling to buy a second Copper.

Photo at top courtesy of Giorgio Armani Beauty; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

That copper is calling my name! Do you hear it? :) It's very faint...

Charlestongirl said...

I hear it. Tracy, oh Tracy, you need me...you'll like me...

Unknown said...

Armani makes the best pencils! I'll pick these up for highlighting. For those with medium to dark skin who want to shade the water line, By Terry also makes an excellent waterproof liner, Crayon Kohl Terrybly. It looks a bit sparkly before applying but looks good on the waterline.

Leigh said...

That Copper is exquisite. It's now on its way to me, along with the two lip glosses you featured. You're such an enabler, Charlestongirl. I was sorely tempted to add a second Copper, sight unseen, but one of my ironclad rules is never to buy seconds of a color. Actually, it's the only rule I have! I need to draw the line somewhere.

Evelyn said...

I usually don't buy liners in these colors but you're making me think twice, especially if the copper will bring out the green hiding in my eyes. :)

Lisa said...

Ooo, these would be great on the waterline!!!

Charlestongirl said...

Perfect for highlighting, Ava!

I haven't tried the By Terry. Even though we finally got a counter at Bloomies, but they are poorly stocked. No one ever seems to have in-depth knowledge either. Bummer!

Charlestongirl said...

Yea, Leigh! I know Copper will look great on you. So will the glosses.

How can you resist seconds when a product is perfect for you? I think I bought three Tiger in the Wild palettes. Some things do go bad, unexpectedly. This weekend, I tried a pen highlighter I had used twice last year when I bought it. It is beyond dead. I clicked and clicked, and nothing ever came out. I was annoyed because it was an expensive one.

Charlestongirl said...

Evelyn, I pass on a lot of liners. These had to be mine.

Charlestongirl said...

My favorite way to use them, Lisa!

Eileen said...

I picked up the Copper last week and it is a gorgeous peach color, perfect for highlighting. Not only will it be gorgeous on green and hazel eyed lovelies, but it will look stunning on those of you who have warm brown eyes as well. I remember when MA's first started routinely adding that highlight to the inner corner. I thought it would never really work for me--not "age appropriate", etc. Since then, the companies have come out with so many wonderful highlighting products that make it easy to be fashionable. A bit of peach lightly applied to the inner corner makes these old eyes sparkle.

Hi Leigh,

You're going to adore Copper. With your dramatic coloring, it will be perfect and so much more unexpected than gold. I'm with you, though, about never buying more than one. There's always something new and wonderful to replace it coming down the line. Enjoy!

lovethescents said...

Oh come on!!! Do I need this??? Why did i have to read your review??? C-girl, anything that makes my eyes look brighter or less tired is so appealing to me. I've been using Paula Dorf's Baby Eyes on my waterline. I quite like it, but it certainly isn't coppery. The copper idea is fascinating. I feel like I need it. Certain eyeshadow/liner colours can make my sometimes blood-shot eyes look redder--cue blues! Do you think coppery would do that too??

Isla said...

Oh geez...me too, lovethescents, I NEED to make my eyes look less tired!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Eileen!

As usual, I totally agree. We can use inner corner highlights. It adds a radiance that can be needed on some days. :)

Love Copper!

Charlestongirl said...

Yep, Lovethescents, you really NEED at least one of these. You will be the envy of the hospital!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Isla,

Then one of these is in your future. :)

Leigh said...

Charlestongirl, you may have a point. I'm not a big eyeliner girl, so I really could just stock up on one color and be content. Still, I am going to refrain until I can try it in person!

And Eileen, you made my day. I wasn't expecting a compliment on my "dramatic coloring," so thank you.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Leigh,

Don't wait too long, but for now, I think you're safe. :)

Christine said...

I couldn't take it and bought both sight unseen! My black eyeliner from Armani's ss 2011 collection is now becoming a stub. Thankfully I found a back-up on ebay. But a good dupe I've found is the Too Faced Perfect Eyes Waterproof Eyeliner. It's crazy creamy also and lasts!

Unknown said...

I have pale skin and big blue eyes with blonde hair. Which color would look good on me? Also, should I be using brown eyeliner instead of black? I also hags big bags under my eyes (lifelong). Thanks for your help.