Thursday, July 25, 2013

Buon Amici Restorative Hand Cream

Buon Amici Restorative Hand Cream with Tuscan Olive Oil ($18) may be the nicest hand cream you've never heard about. I didn't know it existed before Barneys New York sent me a sample of both the hand cream and the Hydrating Rich Body Cream. I'm thankful that Barneys opened my eyes to this luxurious Italian brand.

I love products based on olive oil (read about my love for Dauget, which I can't even buy in the United States). Buon Amici hand cream is rich in nutrients and moisturizers, some botanical. It protects the hands from environmental assaults, such as cracking and reddening due to dry air or continuous hand washing. It absorbs quickly and is not greasy at all. With its olive oil base, I know it's good for my skin.

I love using it before I go to bed because it makes my hands feel good and smell good too. Boun Amici Restorative Hand Cream doesn't have a strong scent. It smells good - a little fruity, but not sweet - when I apply it. Just a few minutes later, as I drift off to sleep, the scent is almost gone, but the feeling of comfort and softness lingers. I am sure that feeling of comfort helps me fall asleep.

My little rituals, such as applying hand and body creams before I go to sleep at night, are important to my mental well-being. Could my rituals be responsible for releasing a neurotransmitter responsible for pleasure?

You can find Boun Amici products at Barneys New York. The next time I order online at Barneys, I'm going to try the brand's Antioxidant Rich Body Oil.

I did a little Web search to try to find out more information about the company. I came up with nothing other than Barneys - and a lot of restaurants. If you have the scoop, please share.

Photo courtesy of Barneys

15 comments:

Eileen said...

I got a laugh out of your comment about the gazillion restaurants and so I googled it myself to see. Wow! You'd think they could come up with a more imaginative name for an Italian restaurant or pizza joint, wouldn't you?

My cooking oil of choice has always been olive oil. After toiling in the kitchen, I always finish by rubbing a few drops of olive oil on my hands. It's very soothing although it does make my hands smell a bit like one of those Italian restaurants! LOL Seriously, I love seeing olive oil as an ingredient in hand cream and never need much prompting to try a new one; especially if it has an appealing--as opposed to appetizing--scent :-)

Nemo said...

Hi, Cg. I am buying this! Also, do you know if Nordstrom's is going to do an LMDB eye/cheek palette, too? They're the only remaining store I can think of (BG had the exclusive for the Summer Night's Dream, I think)? I now own all 3 so far thanks to you.

JudithDM said...

What many olive oil products have in them is squalane (as opposed to squalene), which is wonderful for the skin. While Barney's doesn't list this as one of this product's ingredients, it is in some Tatcha products. I know many of us, me as well, like to dip our fingers into many luxury skin care products, I have a friend who uses a squlane product she buys from Amazon, and her skin (she is 60) is beautiful, subtle and defies her age. I am now trying olive oil based products to see how they work for me!

Eileen said...

Squalane and squalene are the same thing with squalane being a more stabilized and saturated emoilient that is derived by the hydrogenation of squalene. Squalene is naturally occurring and is found in a number of things such as shark's liver oil, vegetable oils (especially olive, wheat germ and rice bran) and in human sebaceous secretions. Because it is a substance that our body naturally produces, our body is highly receptive to its moisturizing and healing properties no matter the origin. There are a lot of good articles about it, but a particularly consumer friendly one can be found on FutureDerm.com. Spotlight On: Squalene. . . 6/3/13.

Animal rights activists and conservationists have put a lot of pressure on the cosmetic industry to abandon the use of cheap shark's liver squalene in favor of more expensive plant based squalene that is then processed into squalane. JudithDM mentioned Tatcha. Because Tatcha's products are based on ultra nourishing rice bran oil, they do, indeed, contain squalene as does this olive oil based hand cream.

Whether it is squalene or squalane you see in the ingredient list, it is a good thing for your skin.

Lisa said...

It sounds so lovely I tried to purchase right away. Sadly I can't find it in stock at Barneys, or anywhere else for that matter! Any ideas?

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, let me investigate that today. The products show online.

Charlestongirl said...

Eileen,

Could you believe the number of restaurants? :)

Charlestongirl said...

I don't know, Nemo. I am having trouble getting information from LMdB since they hired a PR company. Growing pains, I guess.

Charlestongirl said...

Judith,

You have to make sure that squalane is plant-derived. The animal-derived squlane means an animal died for our indulgences.

A total ditto to what Eileen wrote in her comment.

Judith DM said...

I know the difference and would not purchase a product that was not plant derived! The thought of putting anything whale or shark based is just too ick! I am trying not now a pure olive oil product, but it has a bit of citrus scent. I am going to start in this direction since my friend and I talked about her regime. Thank you all for additions to my comments!

Lisa said...

Hi CG! It's not obvious that Barney's doesn't have the hand cream. You have to try to add it to your basket. When you do it comes up "no longer available".

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongitl!

Just a quick word since I'm not sure you get my e-mails with your infested programs...
The powderflage arrived safely (did you see that?) and I cannot do anything about the brand Buon Amici which I can't find here but just tell me if you need any Dauget product: they are fantastic and I can get any of them for you, just let me know which ones you'd like!
Bon courage for your work on your PC, they are annoying when they gat infested these beasts....
Happy week-end everyone:-)

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa,

Call Mark in NY at 212-833-2020. He has it and would be glad to help you or any if my readers.

Charlestongirl said...

Clarisse,

E-mail works fine. I will write you. I'm so glad your powder arrived...in the summer time for theft! Now I will send your second box.

Lisa said...

Thanks CG! Wil give it a go on Monday!
Lisa