Monday, July 29, 2013

Clé de Peau Beauté Extra Rich Lipstick - New, Gorgeous, and Expensive

Clé de Peau Beauté's Extra Rich Lipstick (Rouge à Lèvres) has been reformulated, and the results are stunning. The new formula is said to be a harmony of rich color and refined texture, as stirring as a rose in bloom, as seductively soft as a perfect petal.

This elegant, moisturizing lipstick infuses the lips with luxurious color, texture, and skin care for a look of radiance like never before. Newly designed for Extra Rich Lipstick, the packaging feels as luxurious as it looks. Unfortunately, the packaging is very expensive. Like most Clé de Peau Beauté lip colors, the color bullet is sold separately from the case (or holder). The refill (color), shown below as it is provided with a plastic lid, is $40, and the holder is $25. I was able to purchase two new lipsticks for $80. Had I splurged on the fancy lids, the two would have cost me $120. The disadvantage to purchasing only the refills is that they won't travel well - even in my purse. The plastic tops will flip off easily. Unlike some other Clé de Peau lipsticks that require a holder so that you can turn the bullet up and down, these are functional without the holder. The holder is plastic, I believe - nothing special - so $25 is an exorbitant price for it.

With a spectrum of 30 shades in three finishes, satin, silk, and velvet, I lingered at the counter for a half-hour before I finally selected one satin and one silk shade. The velvet shades are too matte and too saturated for my tastes. The satin and silk shades have more life in my opinion.

I purchased #109, shown on the left in the photo at the top of this feature and #203, shown at right. I could easily have selected three or four more. These lipsticks feel fabulous on my lips - very hydrating - and they are slightly sheer, giving them a natural look on my lips.

I took photos in full sun at different times of the afternoon. In my photos, #109 is at the top of my arm, and #203 is swatched below. Both pinks are medium in color saturation and look great on my lips. what you can't see, which disappoints me, is that #203 is a more neutral pink than it appears on my arm. It was obvious in the store (Nordstrom), but outside in full sun, #203 looks pure pink - almost hot pink.

Extra Rich Lipstick is nicely long-lasting. It has no discernible fragrance. The satin and silk finishes don't shine (any shine you see in my swatch photos is from the direct sun), but they do have a brilliance that I don't see in the velvet shades. The range of colors is notable, spanning shades from very light (too light for me) to very dark. There is at least one for everyone.

I'd like to go back and purchase two more - one with more peach in it, and one of the brown shades. These are gorgeous lipsticks. You will have to decide if they are "unique enough" to warrant the price.

I purchased mine at Nordstrom, where they had just arrived. If your favorite Clé de Peau Beauté counter doesn't have these new beauties, it will soon.

Photos by Best Things in Beauty

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! Nice colour! Thanks for showing.i am going to get one now.

Unknown said...

Love both the shades you chose. The lipstick bullet is also so lovely...very different and unique shape. And while I do appreciate that selling the holder and refil separately is more Eco-friendly, they could have kept the price for the holder more pocket friendly too.
At the current $ -Rupee conversion rate, I have to really curb my impulse to buy these kind of lovelies online :(

Eileen said...

Such lovely, luscious colors! They're definitely on trend for fall. Last autumn many of the colors contained a good dollop of brown. Who could ever forget Chanel's rosey brown Troublant? This year; however, it seems to be all about clear, rich jewel tones. I'm also pleased that we're being given so many textural choices. Last year's matte domination just didn't work for me. I did buy one of Chanel's velvet lipsticks and ended up layering lip balm over it every time I wore it.

Apropos cases, I was disappointed to hear that the new CdP lipstick case is just another "nothing special" plastic one. Once, when I declined to purchase a case for my eyeshadow quad, the pretentious SA said to me, "Well, Clé de Peau is a luxury brand and if you can't afford it, perhaps you should check out something cheaper." I just stared her down and calmly said it was obvious she didn't know anything about true luxury brands or she'd recognize a cheap plastic case when she saw one and that if it was beneath her overly-inflated sense of self to ring up my purchase, perhaps she could page the store manager to do so. She took my card and rang up my purchase without saying another word. I'm afraid I'm not one to suffer fools gladly.

Soni said...

These are absolutely GORGEOUS! I am planning on hitting my Cle de Peau counter the end of this week. Anxious to hear about the next 2 colors you get. ;)

Eileen, you crack me up!!! That story was hilarious and good for you for putting her in her place! I will NEVER understand rude SA's. Luckily I have never had a run in with one. My nearest Cle de Peau counter is at an Asian market across the street from work. All the girls are Japanese & as sweet as can be. (they love me because I try to speak Japanese to them)
Hope you have a great week!

Nida Moughal said...

hahahah hilarious story of traveling with these babies.. But its extremely expensive. Its a no no for me.

Christina said...

The colors look very jewel tones, but I'm surprised how sheer they are. I like something that has more staying power on my lips, but I will take a look at them at Cle de Peau counter.
I need something to go with my new Serge Lutens eye makeup that I just got.

Anonymous said...

Can you please let us know what other Cle de Peau Extra Rich Lipsticks you were interested in? I know I'm not the only one who trust your taste in beautiful lipsticks.