Thursday, July 4, 2013

Dior 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Bonne Étoile from the Mystic Metallics Collection for Fall 2013

Finally! The sun came out, and I was able to get photos of Dior's 5 Couleurs Couture Colour Eyeshadow Palette in Bonne Étoile (#384, $61)) from the Mystic Metallics Collecton for Fall 2013. Every day this week, it has rained. Today it's sunny, hot, and very humid - not the perfect time to talk about fall color. However, I have been admiring this palette for days. Perhaps Dior's lucky stars, embossed into the surface of the shades makes it ideal for an Independence Day feature.

The Dior counter at Nordstrom received Bonne Étoile and one light pink crème lip color from the fall collection. Another palette (Constellation (#864), which has a lavender theme and was probably used on the models above), nail lacquers, additional lip colors, and other pieces will be arriving at Nordstrom, but not until the Anniversary Sale (don't get me going on the credit card hinge for Nordstrom's sale preview). That means I'll be looking for them elsewhere in August, when the collection is scheduled to launch.

This palette is gorgeous. Predominantly shimmering, it offers colors with a fall feel - and a green theme I love. I'll be very tempted to pull it out and use it sooner than September.

I took swatch photos in full sun, using a sponge-tipped applicator to apply each shade. I started at the top of my arm with the khaki shade in the top left corner and swatched clockwise, ending with the shimmering brown in the center. I was so dissatisfied with my first set of photos, I took new ones. These are the best color representations I could get, but they are not 100% accurate.

Every shade in Bonne Étoile left me sighing. I'm looking at the top khaki shade on my arm, and it's definitely a shimmering khaki. In my photos, it appears to be a green-toned charcoal. There are certain shades of green my camera can't capture well. Look for khaki, and you will see that it's khaki - maybe with a hint of British racing green.

The shimmering, light mauve-toned pink is a beautiful shade, but it's magnetism doesn't translate well in photos. The third shade down is green - a gleaming green (somewhat like mint green). So why does it appear to be turquoise in my photos? I'm stumped.

The shimmering teal, a mix of blue and green, is heavenly - a great fall shade. The brown with golden shimmer in the center of the palette complements the other shades perfectly. Use it as a shadow or a liner - your choice. All of the shades are perfectly pigmented, and adhere perfectly with no fallout).

The Non-Blonde published swatch photos. She got a better shot of the green, but even her khaki photo isn't as perfect as the shade is in real life. You will just have to see Bonne Étoile for yourself to know it's a great palette.

Bonne Étoile from the Mystic Metallics Collection is available at Nordstrom in store and online exclusively until August.

Photo at top courtesy of Dior; second photo courtesy of Nordstrom; other photos by  Best Things in Beauty

45 comments:

Closet and Pantry said...

These have my name written on them! I absolutely adore these colours. I have green eyes and even though people always say purple eyeshadow looks best on green eyes, I really love green eyeshadow. I might have to get this soon.

Kylee @ Lifting in Lipstick said...

Oh, my. Normally I find Dior palettes hit-or-miss because of how sheer they can be, but this looks spectacular! And greens! There's never enough greens in palettes. Definitely going to have to pick this one up!

iconika said...

thank you! love it!

Melanie said...

Oh man! I think that I just might have to pay my favourite former Chanel SA turned Dior SA a visit! And the other is lavender toned? I must see that one as well. Dior has made some best eye shadows for my lids.

Happy 4th of July!

Anonymous said...

I managed to keep myself from buying the Summer palettes Dior released, but I'll be damned if I hold off on grabbing this as soon as I spot it! It's absolutely STUNNING!

Lynn said...

Thanks for your reviews, really appreciate it. You're one of my favorite bloggers...

Lynn said...

Thanks for your really really good reviews!

silviabia said...

The shades are simply gorgeous!!

Liza said...

This palette looks lovely! How would you compare it the new one you recently reviewed from Chanel, #43, Mystere? They look a little similar.
Thanks!

grlnxdor said...

What a beauty! And no weird frosty white color with the bunch. I'm strongly considering this one, but I did get cold feet last fall and backed out on Golden Savanah.I have until late July for this stunner?

Sara said...

These are so gorgeous! I have typically had good luck with dior palettes and I love the greens. What is the credit card hinge for nordstrom's sale (don't mean to get you started)?

bedazzled64 said...

I am absolutely blown away by this palette! The swatches are beautiful, cant wait to get my hands on this one! I wonder if it will be on sale at the Nordstrom event?

Anonymous said...

Drooling... Absolutely gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I had every intention of skipping this, but not after I saw those swatches. Gorgeous !

Christina said...

What beautiful combination of colors. Too bad that it is full of shimmer that make you glow like a dancing disco ball.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Closet and Pantry,

I think these colors will bring out the green in your eyes.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Iconika!

Me too. :)

Charlestongirl said...

Melanie, do a Web search on Dior Beauty fall 2013, and you will likely find a few blogs with the photos of the lavender one.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Ommorphiabeautybar,

I sure couldn't pass it up!

Charlestongirl said...

Thank you, Lynn!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi silviabia,

Totally agree: gorgeous!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Liza,

They really aren't. This one may be even better than the Chanel palette (at least to my eyes).

Charlestongirl said...

Hi grlnxdor, I think so. Late July, early August.

Charlestongirl said...

Sara, they only allow Nordstrom credit card holders to purchase during pre-sale. I think it's all about banking, not about taking care of good customers.

Charlestongirl said...

Lisa, the price won't be reduced. I would just buy it now if you want it.

Charlestongirl said...

Hey there, Chris. Swoon, drool...all appropriate words.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Anonymous,

I knew I needed it the moment I saw it. :)

Lisa said...

Based on this review I just ordered based on your wonderful review and pictures. The nail polish in the photo appeals as well! Thanks for the great pictures!

Claire said...

Oh gosh!! This is stunning! I've been stalking local Dior counters, no sightings of it so thanks for the coverage, CG. Now I kinda/sorta regretted buying Chanel Mystere Quad.. although the colors don't overlap, this one looks amazing.

Meredith said...

Where can I purchase this model's gorgeous skin. I abused mine in the sun during my youth at the beach, which was glorious at the time, but now, not so good. Broken red veins, brown patches, dullness. Can't I go back to having the model's skin somehow? I will appreciate and care for it well, I promise!

Mary Ann said...

Gorgeous! Can't wait to get this one. Thank you!

Melanie said...

I looked up the other quint and came across the Fusion Mono eye shadow. They look similar to the Illusion d'ombres. The site with the most info was Russian, which I neither speak nor read ... Anyhow, if they are anything like the Id'o, I am doomed! Did you see anything about them?

Anonymous said...

Not only are the shadow colours stunning, but the compact itself is simply charming. That khaki green is different with the shimmer kicking it up a few notches. TDF.

Eileen said...

I love Dior's fall collection. Constellation is such a versatile collection of autumn colors that will work beautifully with many different eye colors. I'm so pleased early reviews are saying that the quality is right up there with the best of the best because I'm really loving these metallic finishes. As for the model's nail polish, I love it. I believe it is called Destin.

Unknown said...

I have to see this one for myself!!!! Not so attracted by it, weird...Happy 4th of July CG!

Makeup Remastered said...

I just love how darn pretty this palette is-it will be hard to resist on that alone.On the whole I find Dior packaging a bit ugly which puts me off probably great products-this looks like the whole package!

Anonymous said...

I ordered this from Nordstrom's immediately after your swatches. I skipped the fall Chanel eye palette but this one needed to come and live with me :)

Rosemary said...

I'm waiting for the purple one of these and also Chanel's Fascination quad. Among other things. lol

Hope you had a lovely 4th, CG.

Rosemary

Charlestongirl said...

Here is one source for more photos of the collection: http://www.chicprofile.com/2013/06/dior-fall-2013-mystic-metallics-collection-info-photos.html.

Eileen said...

Hi Rosemary,

Birds of a feather . . . :-). I'm also eagerly awaiting Fascination. A friend of mine picked it up when she was in Europe and it is stunning on her emerald green eyes. I'm hoping it will work the same magic on mine although my eyes are more of a mossy green. As for Dior's Constellation, it is so different I think I can justify getting both, don't you ;-)

Lynn said...

Love those colors!

Rosemary said...

Hi Eileen *waves across country*

Fascination looks stunning, and I'm sure it will be gorgeous on your green eyes. My eyes are hazel, and I love to find eyeshadows that bring out the green in them. Constellation will be a good one for both of us too. It will be my first Dior eyeshadow.

About purchasing both, how can we resist when we know these eyeshadows will complement our eyes? "The best colour in the whole world is the one that looks good on you." :) ;)

Give CA a kiss from me. I miss it so.

Rosemary

Melissa said...

I am swooning. Seriously, this palette made me speechless!

Cosmetics Aficionado said...

Gah! Must own this!

BooBooNinja said...

My goodness, this palette is stunning. In a way I'm glad this is a Nordstrom exclusive -- I'm hoping the inconvenience will quell my desire for this gorgeous thing.