Sunday, July 7, 2013

Coming Attraction: Jo Malone Peony & Blush Suede Cologne

Jo Malone London will launch a new feminine fragrance, Peony & Blush Suede this fall. One source I have tells me we'll be able to buy it in September. Another says October or November. I'm betting on September.

Created by perfumer Christine Nagel, the cologne promises to be the essence of charm with peonies in voluptuous bloom, exquisitely fragile, and flirtatious with the juicy bite of red apple and the opulence of jasmine, rose, and gillyflower. The flowers will mingle with the sensuality of soft, blush suede for a luxurious and seductive dry-down.

The top notes are red apple, fresh almond, and bergamot. The heart notes are peony, jasmine sambac, rose, and gillyflower. The latter could be any one of several flowers: carnation, dianthus, stock, or wallflower. The base notes are suede, patchouli (unfortunately), and amberwood. I'm really hoping the patchouli is undetectable because it could ruin this fragrance for me. When I heard florals with a touch of leather, I swooned. When I saw the gratuitous addition of patchouli among the notes, my first thought was, "How un-Jo!"

The Peony & Blush Suede Collection will include 30 ml and 100 ml colognes, a 250 ml Body & Hand Wash, a 175 ml Body Crème, and a 200 g Home Candle.

As you might expect, thoughts of layering are already being suggested. The fragrance can be worn alone, or combined with other Jo Malone scents. Suggested pairings are English Pear & Freesia or Orange Blossom.

I think the demand for Peony & Blush Suede is going to be enormous. If you would like to reserve one, call Sydelle St. Jules at Neiman Marcus at (202) 966-9700. Ask for the Jo Malone counter.

Photos courtesy of Jo Malone

13 comments:

Paige said...

This perfume sounds interesting but I really need to try it on me first before I can decide whether to buy it or not. I'm hoping that my local Nordstrom will have it in-store.

Moonchime said...

This new fragrance sounds lovely. Jo Malone really creates some wonderful scents!

melisand61 said...

Patchouli does seem a little "un-Jo". Maybe it's a cleaned up, barely detectable patchouli?

I wonder what wallflower and gillyflower smell like. I can't think of any other scents that list them.

Evelyn said...

oo I think I may like this one but I need to try it first. Some things just come out oddly on my skin sometimes. I have to say between you and Gaia, I'm running out of space on my perfume shelf. I need to reorganize some things. :)

ROSIE said...

If Jo Malone can capture the beauty of the peony in a fragrance, then I'll definitely be purchasing a bottle. Thank you for bringing us the latest news about upcoming releases!

Claire said...

So true re. patchouli, CG. My DH jokingly refers to patchouli as the hobo scent, and Jo Malone is the opposite of hobo. But maybe they play the patchouli well and I'm actually intrigued by this perfume. Thanks for the coverage!

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Paige,

I also need to try before I buy.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Moonchime,

I'm a big Jo fan.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Melisand61,

I really hope the patch is undetectable. Unfortunately, that's unlikely. I can usually sniff it out.

Gillyflower smells like carnations.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi ROSI,

Peonies are among my all-time favorite flowers.

Charlestongirl said...

I'm laughing, Claire. It's often called the hippie scent. Hobo works too.

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Evelyn,

My comment to you literally disappeared! I had to re-organize, and when I'm finished, I fear my perfumes will have taken over the entire hall closet.

Cynthia.Richardson said...

I love Jo Malone and used to order her fragrance without even having to smell them. Not so much anymore. I'll wait till I go to the "big city" (Phoenix) and get a sample before I buy. Thanks for the heads up.