Monday, July 1, 2013

YSL Beauté Fall Winter 2013 Collection City Drive 4 Wet & Dry Eye Shadows in Classy

Cara Delevingne is an English fashion model, actress, and granddaughter of former English Heritage Chairman Sir Jocelyn Stevens. She is also the face of YSL Beauté's Fall Winter 2013 Collection. In the ad for the collection, she wears a sexy black dress and sports one of the two new Palette City Drive 4 Wet & Dry Eye Shadows ($55), wearing a bright green eye shadow from the Artsy palette. Her lips are dark red, and she is pictured against an urban night sky. The collection has arrived at Neiman Marcus counters. It is scheduled for an August launch, so counter arrivals may be spotty this month.

There are two limited-edition Palette City Drive 4 Wet & Dry Eye Shadow quads in the collection, the one on the left above that Delevingne is wearing, Artsy (which is well-named), and the more neutral one - Classy - shown at right above. As you might imagine, I purchased Classy. I don't have the face for bright green and blue. If you take Delevingne out of the scene above and imagine her in a workplace, she would stand out, probably not in a professional way.

Classy is a very pretty palette, inside and out, on the display. When I removed it from the box, I found bold lettering meant to remind me of its namesake, Yves Saint Laurent. I had no trouble selecting it. However, I tested only one shade in the store.

I took swatch photos in full mid-day sun. I used a sponge-tipped applicator to apply all four shades to my arm, starting with the brown in the top left of the compact and moving clockwise around the shades. I swatched all of the shades heavily and dry. Use a damp brush, and you'll achieve a more dramatic look.

The brown at the top of my arm is a great brown. It is cool enough that there is no mud in the shade, and it offers a nice gleam. The very light beige base shade in the palette is perfectly neutral. You'll be able to do a lot with it.

The sparkly grey is beautiful, but I think it's jarring with the other shades. I like it, but I don't plan to wear it with its Classy cousins. Maybe I'll pair it with the base shade, but I don't love grey and brown together on the eyelid. That's odd because I have a gorgeous Armani jacket that's grey and brown. Maybe it's a personal hang-up I need to get over.

I didn't need the warm brown, terracotta shade. I should have swatched it at the store. I assumed it would be the color I saw in the compact. It's not, so make sure to try it on your skin before you commit to it.

All in all? I should have skipped this palette. I will selectively use three of the four shades in the palette, but they are not unique. While that's not a problem for me (having duplicates), none of the shades are distinctive enough to have warranted the expense. Had I had the time when I was at Neiman Marcus, I should have swatched only, spending my money instead on a beautiful brown Rouge Pur lipstick I left behind.

See what you think. The collection has arrived at Neiman Marcus. I have not seen it available at other retailers, but I'm sure it will be available soon. I looked on the YSL Web site, but didn't find it.

Photos at top courtesy of YSL Beauté; other photos by Best Things in Beauty

9 comments:

Elena said...

the shadows in the palettes are really nice but I wouldn't splurge and get them! I do like Cara's makeup though, she's so freaking awesome!

Eileen said...

Cara projects an edgy, slightly dirty, party girl vibe and she looks outstanding in the promo pic--"freaking awesome" as Elena said. I did smile, though, when you suggested how she'd look in the workplace :-P If I were to temporarily lose my sanity and wear makeup like that, I'd feel compelled to carry the backdrop around with me! LOL. I do enjoy seeing daring looks, though, on the young women when they're in party mode. Such fun! When I think back to my clubbing looks of the sixties, they were so monochromatic--very dramatic, but a bit boring.

I tell you, Charlestongirl, summer, fall, and into holiday, vibrant colors abound in so many of the collections. And glossy lips! Yea!

I wonder if the lovely Rae (Raeviewer) will be doing a tutorial using Artsy. She likes YSL and does some gorgeous color looks that are vibrant but beautifully blended unlike so many of the amateurish looks we see posted elsewhere.

LoveSugarBabyDoll said...

Oh Cara's makeup! I remember the 70's. I could never have pulled it off. Bold makeup up wears me, I don't seem to be able to wear it.

The Classy palette is lovely, but I agree, for me, it is unnecessary. I don't think I could wear the terra cota color either.

Kylee @ Lifting in Lipstick said...

I kind of like Artsy, to be honest. Not sure about that chartreuse, but it might be worth a swatch! I love things I'm not sure I can pull off. Gives me a challenge that I usually end up loving!

I actually managed to pick up one of the new Chanel creme blushes yesterday. Despite being the palest of the pale, I grabbed Fantastic. Without my stippling brush, it certainly seemed bright and intimidating (and dark!), but a few fingertip dots and some blending and it's actually, well, fantastic! I'm glad I picked it up and wasn't too scared to try. It sheers out quite nicely while still retaining that lovely color, and will probably be in constant makeup rotation now!

angusmum1 said...

A nice palette but I agree nothing is calling out, good!

Melanie said...

I love that Artsy palette! I always love the bold makeup that is iconic of Yves Saint Laurent. Over the years, I have wanted so much from that brand, but there is no local counter, so I must order it all untested, unseen; i.e. I don't end up ordering anything! I echo Eileen when I say that I am so glad that fall has some oomph to it! I am a nutter for colour, especially on the eyes! Thank you for this post. Now I think that I need Artsy!

Joey said...

I need this. Oh, do I need this.

Virginie said...

For some reason, this palette (warm one) screams classy and chic, more mature ladies. Like I would feel very elegant wearing this!! ;-)

bella said...

I love your writing!
I am new to your blog and I just love your reviews.
As far as this YSL Fall launch is concerned, you should have bought the lipstick. The eyeshadow's are always mediocre. That terracotta color will not be flattering on anyone. In real life, that color around the eyes makes people look sick-- even if your twenty years old!