Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Burberry Beauty Has Arrived

Exclusive to Nordstrom in the United States, Burberry Beauty emphasizes the chic, effortless, and elegant beauty we've come to expect from Burberry coats. I have two raincoats and one jacket, so clearly I'm a fan. These three gorgeous models, Rosie Huntington-Whitely, Lily Donaldson, and Nina Porter, were perfect choices to convey the line's targeted look: a modern interpretation of the classics.

Burberry designer Christopher Bailey had the idea for a cosmetics line while working on a runway show a couple of years ago. He said that makeup was the only element missing from Burberry's popular line-up. The British fashion house decided to fix that!

Eagerly anticipated by beauty mavens, Burberry Beauty became available last week at Nordstrom. There is no Nordstrom in the DC area that will be carrying Burberry. DC may be a seat of political power, but I fear our draw for fashion and beauty is still second class. The closest store carrying the line is hundreds of miles away, and I couldn't justify making a trip to see something I could order - sight unseen - online. I do that often, and that's exactly what I did. I ordered one lipstick, two lip glosses, and two sheer eye shadows to test - and hopefully enjoy - the line.

The packaging carries the Burberry signature check pattern that graces the lining of the brand's coats - in an elegant gunmetal grey. Even the makeup itself is embossed with Burberry's signature pattern. I have to admit it's a nice, extra-added attraction.

The line is characterized by soft looks for eyes, from nudes to smokey, and richly pigmented lip colors. The makeup is designed to be wearable. Burberry would like the makeup shades to become your daily comfort colors, the ones you turn to because they work.

Burberry Sheer Eyeshadow ($29) is available in 20 shades. Although I could easily have selected four of them, I limited myself to two: Khaki and Trench. If I like them, I may order Pearl Grey and Porcelain, two other shades that tempted me. There are 21 shades of Burberry Lip Cover Soft Satin Lipstick ($30). I decided to try Dusty Rose. In the lip gloss department, there are 12 shades of Burberry Lip Glow Natural Lip Gloss ($27) from which to choose. I gambled on Rosewood and Tea Rose.

The Burberry Light Glow Natural Blush ($42) shades look vibrant online - a little too colorful. Without a way to judge their color on the skin, I passed for now. Once I see them, I may have to reconsider. The line is rounded out with many more products, including four shades of Burberry Warm Glow Natural Bronzer ($48), which looks very nice; two foundations (liquid and compact); pressed powder; mascara; and lip and eye pencils. There's a face brush too.

I'll let you know when my new makeup arrives. In the meantime, head over to Nordstrom's Web site, where you can see (and purchase) the whole collection. If you decide you have to order a few pieces, use the code BEAUTY for $5 shipping.

Photos courtesy of Nordstrom

4 comments:

Clarisse said...

Hi Charlestongirl
Very beautiful packagings, classical
colors, it is very "Burberry-esque"; I haven't seen the range except on the internet but I guess the quality is there and I wouldn't mind testing the eyeshadows or the lipsticks! Let us know what you think of the makeup when you have received it!

Elizabeth Donskaya said...

i hate to say this cuz i know i'm going to get killed but really why doesn't burberry just stick to making clothing? what do they know about makeup? it's like victoria's secret trying to run an excellent makeup line when their shit sucks its ashy and flaky and dry with lots of fallout ew gross

*sigh* that was my rant :)

Charlestongirl said...

Hi Lizzard!

Everyone gets a "rant" now and then. I love it!

I think the answer is that makeup is VERY profitable. :)

I haven't tried the Victoria's Secret makeup. That bad?

Resham said...

I have not seen the line personally, but from the promos and the color range of foundation it seems BURBERRY has filtered many skintones...I hope they increase their range of products to cater everybody...
The packaging definately is GORGEOUS!
p.s: this is just a personal thought as a NC42 consumer...